CO High Country Weather - Late Aug/Early Sept?

FullCurlHunter

Trying to plan out clothing for a hunt this fall and would appreciate some experience/knowledge.

Late August/Early September; 11,000' in the highcountry of central Colorado?

A. What can I expect in regards to average temperature Day and Night?

B. What extreme's (highs and lows) could I experience during the day and night?

Thanks!

I hunted the weekend before labor day one time camping at about 10,800 and hunting to over 12000 feet. Thursday night at midnight it was 73 degrees. Saturday morning there was sleet and snow and you couldn't see 50 yards in front of you.
I've learned to hunt in layers. My top/heaviest layer is a pair of cabelas "insulated" rain suede. By insulated i think they are referring to a heavier mesh lining but its not a cold weather jacket. I put on and take off layers all day. If the sun is out it will warm up nicely during the day. It its overcast and rainy then its a different ballgame.
Most of the time I wear the same stuff in August/September that I do during the summer though. It can snow any day that high but it won't last long and will usually warm right back up.
ds

70's with a chance of snow is the norm, but count on afternoon rain showers with severe lightning/sleet/hail if you're hunting high. Have fun this year and good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom