CO unit 76 Archery Elk

Serrano

I'm getting psych'ed about my hunt.
Anybody out there ever hunted CO Unit 76?
I saw some mature bulls last weekend, and I saw some bulls last December including one monster.

Serrano:

Can't help you much on info for your elk unit, but wanted to welcome you to the archery section of MonsterMuleys. Look forward to your input.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I have filmed elk for the last 14 years in 76. Start
July 1 next week and go into Oct. Roy 970 252 1294
in Montrose

I rifle hunted GMU 76 several years ago for cows. It's very difficult GMU to draw a Bull tag in. Since changing my desire for hunting to archery, I've been trying to draw 76 with no luck but I have 4 points now. Perhaps next year. So first and foremost, congrats.
Ok, here's where the Big guys are. You will need to spend the majority of your time in the Willow Creek valley, East of Hwy 149, which is in the upper NE section of 76. You can walk in from 149 or you can drive up on FR 532 and walk in from there.

There is a campground on 149 just south of Willow Creek if you have a camper or what I did, stay in a cabin just off 149, that was about a 10 drive South of Willow creek. The cabins are right by the Rio Grande Reservoir; visible from 149. They have approx 20 units and the cost was reasonable.

Anyway back to the BULLS! I have personally seen 350+ class bulls there. During the rut they are really vocal in that area so it shouldn't be hard to find them and let one fly. The thing about that area is it off the road and in 76 you have a lot of road hunters that are afraid of getting off the road. So if you are not one of those, you will get your Bull.

I'm hunting GMU 861. Can anyone provide some assistance on that area?

I drew a 76 archery tag this year and I'm really pumped up for it. I've been doing a ton of research on the unit for the last two years for a gun hunt and finally decided I'd rather go with the bow. This will be my first elk bowhunt although I've gone 7 or 8 times with rifle. If any of you guys wouldn't mind sharing any info please email me [email protected] I already have a few leads but could definately use all the help I can get.

Rchr,
Welcome!!! I am amazed at the info you provide, should be valuable to those that have a tag. I have a friend from canyon city that use to hunt this unit with his family frequently until it became harder to draw. From his stories I became interested and looked into the draw stats to see what points it takes for rifle and bow and was amazed at the numbers of applicants. I have 8 points for elk and dont really know what I am going to do with them especially since i am moving to AZ in a few days.
Would love to see pictures WHEN you guys harvest a bull!!!

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom