Co units 41,42,421

Cowcallin

Ive been looking at hunting these units for deer in third season this year and was wondering if anyone had any info on the deer herd there. What are the numbers like, quality of bucks, pressure? Ive heard there are a lot of deer but also lots of people and roads. Thanks for any help.

I live in 41, the quality and quantity of deer in this unit has gone way down in the last 4 years. I spent part of the weekend on some winter range near my house, I used to see a couple of real monster bucks every winter. I haven't seen any of those in three years on the winter range near me. I did see a bachelor herd of 8 bulls, first time on this spot I've seen that.

I've hunted 42/421 a few times and it has really gone down hill since the first time I hunted it. With that being said I'm sure there are still some good bucks around. There are more four wheeler trails every time I go there and I haven't been there in a few but I could just about imagine what it looks like now. What were once secluded canyons can now be glassed from the comfy seat of your quad and this has taken away from the quality of the hunt. Good luck on whatever you decide.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

How is the 4th season deer tag? Are there still a lot of deer and elk hunters or is there substantially less pressure?

I live in 42 and there is quite a bit less pressure the 4th season. Good luck getting a deer tag though, I think they only give out 9, (6 res.tags and 3 non res.) so you better have atleast 5 or 6 points saved up. Should be able to kill a toad if you put in the time.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

I live in 421, and you would have a tough time getting anything real big. There are some around, yes? 4th season, in my opinion not really worth any points. I don't even hunt in my own backyard anymore, I go elswhere for a better opportunity at a more mature buck.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-10 AT 10:18AM (MST)[p]took 5 points for both residents and nonresidents for the 4th season, and with the guys waiting in the wings, looks like it would take 6 this year.

However, the 3rd season was drawn with 0 points and only 230 hunters for those units combined. That said, since the 3rd season is later this year, I expect it to take at least a couple of points to draw 3rd season this year.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom