Coati Help

E

elkman23

i really want to kill a nice coati for a mount. Has ayone seen any in units 31 or 32 in arizona? i know they live their but any help, info or tips will really help. thx

I have not seen them with any regularity in 32 but I have in 30A. Specifically the Dos Cabezas. Up the mine road from the little town of Dos Cabezas. You have to walk up the locked gate road but there are a lot of old mine shafts up there and I think that contributes to there being so many of them around up there. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-07 AT 10:24AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-07 AT 10:23?AM (MST)

I ran into a group of 15 or more for 3 consecutive years. My dad got one (22 cal) and I missed mine (bow). If you get one, let us know and share the pics.

I sent you a PM

I'm not an expert be any means but in my experience with those desert monkeys is that I tend to see them in the bottoms of steep canyons with plenty of rock faces with small caves in them. I've watched 20 or so disappear in a single juniper so if they're not out moving they can be very tough to find. I've never gone out looking for coati I just see them when I'm deer hunting. I would have to say in 10 days of deer hunting I'll average at least 1 group of coati.

PM sent.

Your best bet in 31 is around Fry Creek or Fry Mesa area. Grown up in the area and shot quite a few. Start looking there. 32 is packed with them as well. Like someone said earlier, creek bottoms with huge boulders or rock faces is what seems like they prefer. They usually run in packs of 5 or more. Good Luck.

Remember that Coati have a season of Sep 1 to Mar 31 and a limit of one per calendar year. Cool looking critters.

RR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom