cold weather jacket

Aaronjhanson

i am looking at 2 jackets from Cabelas either the outfitters fleece with Wind Shear or the wooltimate wind shear jackt...
Any opinions on the two?

Aaron

I am not familiar with them but the best coat I ever purchased was from Barney's Sports Chalet in AK. It is light as a feather and warm as can be. Doubt I will ever replace it.

I have the Outfitters Fleece with WindShear. Best jacket I have ever owned. I always have it with me.

Grizzly

I don't know about those two, I have a cabelas heavy wool sweater with the windsheer and while it is exceptionally warm, the windshear makes it noisey and it doesn't breath for crap...

Mike

I bought one of the heavy wool sweaters with windshear too. It was noisy and was sent back.

I wore the wooltimate fleece jacket with windshear for a couple years and ended up selling it on ebay. It's not nearly as warm as i expected it to be, and heavy to lug around when you heat up.

Since, i've gone to a lightweight, insulated jacket and wear mto50 rain gear over it for wind and weather protection. It's lighter, warmer, and takes up less room in the pack.

the one i have is the fairly new offering from cabela's- can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it's similar to a north face redpoint or mountain hardwear compressor.

I've also heard good things about outfitter fleece, just have no experience with it. seems like it wouldn't compress very well.

good luck,

WH

I have the outfitter fleece pullover with windshear. I am NOT a fan of windshear, doesn't breath worth a crap. I paid quite a bit for the jacket and have maybe worn it a dozen times in 8 years.

I also have pants, jacket, and vest in wooltimate, but I bought it all before they went to the windshear version. I love the wooltimate without the windshear. The wind will cut through it some so if you wear it in really cold windy weather I put my rain gear over the top.

I am an active hunter. If you mainly ride a quad around with limited hiking then something with windshear or gore tex will probably work for you just fine. If you hike a lot you will hate it.

Something has to give. If you want waterproof and/or windproof, you will give up some breathablity. If you want something warm that breathes well you will feel the wind some. That is why layers are so important. I would recommend a wool or fleece with a lightweight gore tex rain jacket to go over the top if it gets really windy or starts to rain/snow. In my experience there really isn't such a thing as a do everything jacket.

I have the outfitters fleece jacket with hood and the pants.Great stuff been using them for years!! They are nice and warm in cold windy weather.Maybe the pull over is problematic as it has no zipper to vent.I also have a Kings hunting parka w/removable liner that is great.For real cold snowy weather I use my Woolrich coat,old school!

Not a fan. Since then I have been using Kings Parkas in the Desert Shadow Camo. The coat is just warm enough for that morning quad ride, but light enough to wear while hiking, and compressible enough to roll up into the day pack. Great quality, even got my kids the same coats(they were and still may be on clearance)

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

I agree with not hiking with the outfitter, too warm and not packable. For a goose blind or sitting on a ridge- I have not found better. So I guess it depends on your use, but still hunting it can't be beat. I never hike with cold weather gear, lightweight and layers.

thanks guys, I don't know what to do now. i have a kings mountain jacket (it's a light weight fleece with some sort of wind stopper) that works great when i layer stuff under it on the cold weather hunts. I do hike allot so looks like the 2 jackets i posted will not work for me.. I like the Sitka gear just too darn expensive...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-11 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]I like the Sitka
>gear just too darn expensive...
>

kuiu''s cheaper and I like the quality better. but they don't have a one jacket to do all either so you'd have to layer. just a thought.

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
BF

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom