Colorado 2010 Elk Harvest

W

wildsage

Just having some fun with the DOW statistics Assuming my calculations are correct.

2010 Colorado Elk Harvest - All Manners of Take

Total Harvest
Bulls 21875 (46%)
Cows/calves 26143 (54%)

Total 48018 (100%)

Total Hunters 214536

% Bull Kill (10%)
% Cow/calve Kill (12%)

How many of the bulls killed do you think were 6 point bulls which might include a 350 bull+. I am not sure how the DOW obtains all their kill data but as you can see from the information from their web page, only 1 in 10 hunters even kill a bull it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Wildsage

If you asked everyone, you would find there was about 10,000 350 bulls shot, if you measure all of them, you would find about 20 :)
My 6 point from this year would be lucky to hit the 220 mark (gross).
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I really didn't come out and say it in the post but you have hit on what I was implying - there is so much posted on the threads about all the 180+ mule deers and 340+ elk that are taken each year. My experience is that there are big animals taken each year but that is the exception not the rule. We are so focused on rack scoring that I would venture to say that most hunters will never take a 180+ animal or 340+ bull. You are talking about 1 in 10 hunters that even get a bull elk and I would venture that most are raghorns.- at least in Colorado. I see alot bulls brought into the meat locker by Hunters each year and 95% are young bulls - I am not claiming to be an expert but, I have seen very few that would actually measure 180+ or 340+ - maybe I have been in the wrong part of the country. I am also not implying that as a hunter you shouldn't dream of big horns.

Wildsage

Wildsage you make a very good point, a good majority of hunters wont take animals of the size you mentioned above. But then again not every hunter/s spends the time during the year scouting, researching and passing up young animals in hopes of something bigger. Yes people do get lucky and always will, but also a good majority of trophy class animals are taken by hunters whom simply work harder than others for them. Genetics and pressure in an area play big roles in this also. Take the meeker/craig area for instance. With so many hunters,pressure and tags issued most bucks and bulls are lucky to live past their 3rd birthday.

I have lived in Co. 12 years and spend alot of time in the hills. I'm going to say that in the 12 years I have lived here I have seen 20 bulls that would go 300 or better the biggest bull I have ever seen was was probably 350. Thats including the elk I have seen in the wintering grounds. I have never killed a 300 bull. I probably see a dozen bucks or so a year that would go over 180 but have never killed a 180 buck. I have probaly seen maybe 10 bucks that would go 200 or better in the twelve years that I have lived. And again most of those were in the wintering grounds. So Yes very few animals are harvested in there prime.

Would love to see some pictures Coloradoboy. What weapon?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My uncle recently mounted my 171" Mule Deer. As we admired it, we started talking about this very subject. How many deer like mine, or better, are killed every year. This spilled over into elk scoring 330" or better also. I live in Utah.

In 2010- 2,766 Bulls were harvested on our LE(2,068) and CWMU(698) units. With the average statewide harvest age of 6.6 on LE units, I'd say about 90% of those are 330" or better= 1,861. Without age data for CWMU's I'd wager about a 60% are 330" or above= 419.

Also- 40,000 general elk tags, 10% harvest(est.) = 4,000 killed and let's say 7% of those are 330" or better bulls= 280.

So for the state of Utah, my guess on elk 330" or better harvested each year is 2,560.

Out of an estimated population of 70,000 elk, 2,560 trophy bulls is only about 3.7% of the population.

I just pulled these numbers off the DWR site, and did some estimates not given, but consistent with other states harvest percentages... I think for this thread, it's close enough...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

BR, I know there is no way of proving it either way, but I see it as a stretch to say 90% of the bulls are 330 or higher. Yes, the average is 6+ years old but that is still a reach for 330 plus. I would say 300+ is 90%, the vast majority of the UT LE units are not "premier" trophy units, nearly all are great but not at the elite level. All of these sub-elite units are where the majority of bulls are taken from (more tags available).

Plus, you are not factoring in all of the "general" elk hunts in Utah, now your percentage is thrown out the window because it is nearly all spikes and raghorns just like Colorado.
If we were to say what are the percentage of bulls over 330 in CO killed in units 1,2,10,201,61,851(?) and the high end RFW's it would be really high also.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

BR--

I disagree with your estimates, as Mtn pointed out 90% is way to high. You assume as do many people in Utah that there is a direct correlation with age and score, that is simply NOT the case. I have seen numerous bulls aged that are over 6 years old that don't even break 300 conversely, I have seen 4 year old bulls score well over 300. A good friend has a data set off of private lands (CWMUs and other private ranches) of over 1000 harvest that show similar results. See the thread on the age of bulls as a small data set and example. Todd Black

Visit our YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

As usual Todd is right.
Not every bull over the age of 6 or even 7 will score much over 300".
I've seen several bull from the LE unit by my home that were "older" bulls and barely over 300". Not every man will weigh 280lbs either.

I think most guys on this thread have it figured out. BIG BULLS ARE NOT BEHIND EVERY BUSH whether we're talking CO or UT.

I had a 3rd season deer tag in the Gunnison basin a couple years ago and had my sights set on a 180" buck. On the second to the last day of the season I killed a 177" buck (not that I can tell the difference between 177" and 180" while on the hoof. LOL) He was an old buck and I doubt he would have EVER been a 200".

I have 2 elk mounted at my house of the same age. One scores 305" gross, the other scores 382" gross. Huh, what's up with that? Like I said, not every bull or buck will "score" really high and it's not all tied to age.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom