Colorado elk hunting bullets?

adamwipp07

I have a .54 cal muzzle loader and i am haveing some trouble finding a good bullet in .54 cal, that is legal. Ive been told the no excuses bullets are a good choice. The only 54 Caliber bullet they make is a, 535 grain (54/535):. Will this work on elk, or is this to big? Also looking at powerbelt bullets. Any advice would be great!

Adam Wipperfurth

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-11 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]Thompson Center makes a bullet called Maxi-ball that I like. They also make one called a Maxi-hunter that works well, but I like the Maxi-ball better. I think I mail ordered them at Midway USA last time I bought them. I was thinking of trying the no excuses bullets also, because I've heard they also work well. I didn't like the way the Powerbelt bullets grouped (big spread - didn't group). Good luck on your hunt.

The .54/535 no-excuse bullet will put an elk Down! You just need to do your part! You dont need to try anything else just parctice with it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-11 AT 07:38AM (MST)[p]The No excuse bullet is definately an elk killer! However, it also kicks like a mule! Do NOT use magnum loads if you use the bullet. 85-95 gr would be max if I were using it.

You might look at Hornady Great plains (425 gr) and T/C maxiball (430gr) (NOT maxihunter). Both have proven track records for taking elk. 90-110 gr would be my max powder with these bullets.

Powerbelts would be my last choice if I couldn't get anything else to shoot accurately. Only use powerbelts above 400 gr out of a 54 caliber.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shoot the Hornady Great Plains bullet in the 425 grain flavor. I use 90 grains of 777 and I am very satisfied with this bullets accuracy, performance, and killing ability. I hunt with a Remington model 700 black powder rifle in .54 caliber.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom