Colorado & Idaho help????

Wapiti

I'm looking into applying for non-resident L.E. Elk permits in Colorado and Idaho. I realize Colorado generally requires a certain number of preference points depending on the unit but I would like to start building points. Any recommendations for good areas would be helpful? I'm looking for areas known for producing good quality bulls in the 300+ range in both states. I know very little about elk hunting in either of the two states.

I drew in 2003 for elk here in my home state of Utah and had the hunt of my life. It may be a long time or maybe even never again to draw another permit in Utah, so I'm looking to seek opportunities out of state.

Does Idaho use preference or bonus points? As far as I know they don't but I'm unsure.
Any info would be appreciated. You can email me privately if you wish: [email protected]

Idaho doesnt use a bonus point system at all. And I like it that way. Some guys dont, to each his own. Good luck.

-Hghcountry

Colorado uses preference points currently, although there may be a shakeup after this year. You won't be able to draw a good unit with 0 points, but you can apply for just a preference point. Deadline is April 6th. Apps don't open til late Feb, early March. Will cost you $253.25 for a preference point up front, but they refund all but $3 around July. They are presently talking about charging $250 for the preference point and NOT refunding the money. We will see how that turns out.

Presently, you currently need at least 4-5 preference points to get into a unit that consisently has the quality you seek. However, after this year, they will probably be limiting nonresidents to 20-30% of the tags available (currently 40%), which is probably fair, but will increase the preference points needed by nonresidents.

Of course, there are probably 300+ bulls in every unit with Elk, just harder to find them!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

tx
I have to respectfully disagree with you telling Wapiti it will take 4-5 pref points to get into units that produces the quality he seeks. I don't think 4-5 points gets you any further than 1. Five 300+ bulls in 10 years in 0-1 point units would say otherwise.... and I'm not even a diehard elk addict.

$250 for a preference point and nonrefundable is robbery... and I'm a Colorado resident.

Have to confess that Deerking was the guy I was thinking of when I said that 300+ bulls could be found in every unit. But you forgot to tell him that you are at least 1/2 mountain goat (make that 70%)! LOL. Seriously Wapiti, Deerking lives/breathes hunting in Colorado and he knows his stuff. If you do enough research and are really willing to get further from the road than 95% of the other guys, possibly where horses can't get, then you can find a good bull in almost every unit. If you do the homework and legwork, then you have an area that you can draw every 1-2 years instead of every 5 years.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LM - NRA, NAHC, RMEF
You can buy OTC permits in Idaho. You must choose your hunting area and are limited to the one area (for deer and elk). If you can live with that go for it. I drew my limited entry elk permit in 2002 in Utah and moved to Idaho in 2003. I qualify for residency now in Idaho and can get a sportsman license for $107. That gives me an elk, deer, bear, cougar, turkey, salmon, steelhead along with archery and muzzleloader permits for all and includes fishing and small game -- not too bad ?!?!?!?!? Utah sucks for what they charge and the opportunities they provide! Can put you on to a good outfitter if you are interested!!

txhunter58, just querius where you picked up that info on CO. tightning the noose on out of state hunters.

Sent you a email.
fca2e9e9.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-04 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]Thanks tx. I don't mind the current structure that's pretty fair, 80/20 would absolutely bite. Non refundable preference points on the other hand is strait up robery.

With your over-the-counter permit you will also be able to hunt with rifle or bow in most areas. You choose an A or B tag and the A is geared more towards the archery hunter, you get the archery season for any elk. If you find that you were not successful you can head out during early rifle to get a spike only. The B tag is for the rifle hunter and you can shoot others during the archery hunt or wait till the rifle season and go for any bull.

Kind of confusing at first but the system seems to cater to everyone. Hoping that the F&G people will continue to keep it this way.

You also can apply for certain controlled hunts.

to get the Zone info go here

http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/common/regulations/bg/bg03/bg03_32-42elkzone.pdf

I hunt units in CO that are close to home and can draw every year. There are bulls over 300 in every unit (some are farther and fewer in between than others) that is over the counter or in my case drawing units that have a bunch of leftovers. So yes I have to agree on doing the homework/legwork thing. Meanwhile I am building my points for something in the future.
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom