Colorado Mtn Goat

Snuffy

4339mtn_goat_9-4-12_022.jpg

Story will follow, looking for a bear right now.
Colorado Unit G-10 8 5/8 and 8 1/2 horn lenght.
Huge body.

Short story of my hunt.
New Unit in Co, week day only unit.
I drew the 1st season 1 tag
pretty cool to be the 1st hunter ever to hunt a Mtn Goat in a new unit. Wrong, after realizing the amount of weekend hikers, tuorist and mountain bikers in the area 24/7 it would be hard to avoid a conflict. I live in the area and the jobsite is at 10,200' so altitude was not a problem. A little wieght to loose and conditioning hikes and scouting at the same time worked perfect.
Saw this goat in different areas since May when conditioning/scouting started (I think the same goat just by body size and locatin areas). I called him Tank, until my brother came up a few days before the hunt and saw him and called him the Polar Bear. I have never named a wild animal before other than that stupid elk or that dumb deer but he has been called the Polar Bear ever since that day. Skip ahead we found him and two other Billy's in a tough to stalk basin, they were there sat, sun and gone mon, day before the opener.
As we went up another valley to see if they went over the top a truck pulls up and askes if we are hunting goats and I say yes.
Ends up it is both of the state wide tag holders father and son.
Now I have 19 yrs to draw the tag, make atough shot in front of family (brother, cousin and a hunting buddy of ours) and the statewide guys in the same area.
The polar Bear made it back to the original basin he seemed to call home along with the slide billy (never saw the third billy again).
So the plan was set for the morning depending on or if they were still in the basin.
Opening day decided on his bedding location we planned on climbing the mountain and hit him from above.
Ended up 242yrds above on a steep angle, trying to shoot off my bent knees with the wind was not going to work.
I took the chance to move to a small rock pile for my rest and had to catch many rocks and place them carfully so as not to roll down on top of him.
Took my rest and at 242yrds shot him in his bed, he did stand up holding his right shoulder high and I shot again breaking both shoulders he rolled 2 1/2 times and stopped in a previous bed.
Then it was picture time.
Thanks to all for the nice replieshttp://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8935mtn_goat_9-4-12_002.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom