Colorado Pronghorn Draw Results

I DREW A REFUND! :)

Its Sunday morning with my coffee so I got time to rant.
Colorado Antelope hunting is getting to be a JOKE! You about have better odds drawing a Sheep or Goat as you do a friggin antelope in a decent unit. Guess I keep spending my money in Wyoming to hunt 'em.

The problem is Colorado only has a few public land antelope units that are on a pure preference point system. Also, tags aren't allocated betweeen residents and nonresidents so everyone is in the same pot. I suspect this was done because by the way I figure it, nonresidents would draw faster than residents if tags were allocated.

The NW corner of Colo was hit pretty hard the winter of 2008. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Craig area the past few years and it seems like the majority of antelope have moved within a 10 mile radius of Craig. Once you get out in units 2, 3, and 301 where there is public land the antelope population over the past 10 years has pretty much vanished!

There are so many small sub-divisions outside of Craig where the antelope have plenty of water and lots of private land to find refuge. Not sure if it is the water situation, hunting pressure, or the combination of several things that have moved the antelope off BLM? One thing for sure you can drive for a couple hours in unit 2 anymore without hardly seeing an antelope!

The SE corner of Colo also got hammered by deep snow a couple winters ago so that herd had quite a bit of winterkill as well. Obviously when antelope numbers plummet..so do the tags!

Hillbilly nailed the primary reason that pronghorn tags are so difficult to draw in Colorado. There are relatively few units with public access. As jims mentioned, the recent bad winter did slightly affect some areas in the state, but for the most part, those areas were over objectives before that winter. In fact, statewide, the pronghorn population is currently over 8,500 animals over objective.

I believe there are two other reasons that are making it even more difficult to draw these days. First, pronghorn hunting has become much more popular in this age of easily gathered information. In the 10 years between 1999 and 2008, pronghorn applications increased about 9% in Colorado.

The second situation making drawing a tag so difficult is the large percentage of tags that are issued in the public land units which are Private Land Only tags. For example, for the regular rifle season in unit 3/301, arguably one of the more popular public land units in the state (it took 12 points for a resident to draw in 2008), the DOW issued 55 unit-wide buck tags in 2008 (8 of which went to landowners in the form of vouchers). But the DOW issued 850 PLO buck tags for those units! So your options are four: you own hunting land in those units, you know someone with land who will let you hunt, you pay for hunting access, or you wait 12 years to draw a tag.

In most of the eastern units of the state, a person could hunt every year or every other year if they can find private property to hunt.

I prefer to apply in Wyoming where I can get a license in some unit every year ,than to have to build Pref Points to hunt an antelope.Colorado antelope don't interest me.

Well I know have 10 points for antelope. I thought i would draw this year!
Getting ready for our first sheep scouting trip of the year! Should be some fun!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom