COLORADO

FullCurlHunter

I am a first timer wading through information from all of the western states, Huntin Fool and some other resources trying to figure out how to apply for each state and the species I want to hunt someday.

I have some questions for Colorado as their application deadline is approaching very quickly. I will try and type this in a fashion that will be very easy for a guy to answer and not take too much time.

1. Can I apply for points only or do I need to apply for a license and if unsuccessful I receive a preference point for that species.

2. If I can apply for points only, how much money do I send in or is this charged on a credit card? Do I have to send in the ammount of the tag for that species or just the $28 dollar non refundable amount per species for the point?

3. If I do have to apply for a tag and cannot just buy points how much do I have to pay? The full license cost or do I give them a credit card number and they charge that if I get drawn or dont get drawn but want points.

5. If I cannot just buy points and do get drawn somehow, can I say I dont want the tag this year and take a point instead?

4. Do I apply for species in general or can I build points for archery elk, muzzleloader elk, rifle elk...etc?

5. Do I need to select a unit to build points or are the points accumulated in general and then you can decide at a later point what unit you want to use them in?

Thanks guys!

1.Yes you can apply for points only
2.You will be charged $25 if you have not purchase a previous license for Colorado plus the $3 app. fee
3.points are general elk for elk, deer for deer good for any method of take and you don't have to declare a unit they are good state wide.

5. Yes you can give the tag back. You will either get a refund and lose your points or lose your tag money and get points re-instated.
4. Deer points are deer points and elk points are elk points. Unit and weapon does not matter.
5. See #4!

Good luck!

2. You basically have to send them (give a visa number) for the full amount of the tag. They then refund all but the preference point fee ($20) and the app fee($3) AFTER the drawing. For elk, it will cost you just over $250 up front (refunded) and for deer $79 up front (refunded)

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Rackmaster,

Why so Rash!? I work 80 hours a week so I have little time to look into this. Believe me, I have read and read and read when I have spare time away from the office and family. I have visited all of the western states websites and have researched their information on applying, building preference points and bonus points within each state.

My questions above are fairly specific that only those who apply would know. This being a forum where people post questions and those willing to answer respond...that is what I did.

Try not to respond to rashly in the future, especially if you're not contributing to the post.

A huge thank you to those who have directly answered my specific questions, I greatly appreciate the comradery shared between fellow hunters and your willingness to help a midwest guy get his foot in the door on dream hunts for the future!

Rackmaster: How much does a preference point for deer cost if you read the regs? The way I read it, it should cost $319 up front for a nonresident unless you apply for a reduced doe tag as a second choice.

However, when I applied for a pp for deer as a nonresident (with no second choice), it only cost me $79. Did I miss it is the regs?

A lot of times we "read between the lines" because we have done it so many times before. To someone just starting out, it can be daunting, and somewhat confusing.

And even after 20 years of applying, I still have to call and ask sometimes.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

FCH,

Don't worry about RASHMASTER. He has not had a fat, diseased, readhead in a while.;-)

Like tx said, it is tough to figure it all out. By using the online application systems, they are usually fool proof. I would recommend any state that offers online apps to use them. They catch most mistakes and charge the proper fees.

How long after the draw date does the refund come if you are going for points only?

Does the credit card get charged upon application or when the draw occurs and they see that you are only buying a preference point?

Credit card or Check!? I'm assuming credit card if applied online...

Thanks guys!

Your CC will be charged once they receive and process your appl.
The Refunds in Mail by June 26 in the form of a COLO State Refund check, IT WILL NOT BE A REFUND TO YOUR CC.
Licenses in mail by June 20th.

Brian

I called them today and they said the $79 thing was last minute. It may not be in the regs. I myself could not find the answer to that in the regs.

I am talking about the pref. point fee being $79 initially. Most of it will be refunded.

When you purchase a PP only, CO charges for the least expensive license for the species. This year they inluded a special doe hunt with reduced Non Res prices to incurrage purchases. The cost of the doe tags is $75. Add the $3 app fee, $0.75 Mgt fee and the $0.25 search and rescue fee and you have the $79 charge.

I applied for a deer point only last week and learned of this process first hand. Last year the point cost me over $300 up front and I received a refund for all but the $3 app fee.

CO in my opinion has their stuff together when it comes to the draw process. I have had to deal with AZ's ever changing world the past few years and CO makes them look like the Key Stone Cops!

264X300

The regs mentioned reduced RESIDENT doe tags and the reduced prices for RESIDENTS. After asking around on MM, I still wasn't sure til i applied. Really helped applying for 3 people, deer and elk. Only $1,300.00 in Colorado this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom