Compact Spotting Scope

ASB

Looking for a compact spotting scope to carry in a daypack. I have a larger one & am looking for something small for short outings. A buddy has the old Leupold 25X & obviously they are no longer around. Had seen the Nikon 13-30ED but it looks like they aren't made anymore either. I've looked at the 65 mm scopes in all brands but they are bigger than I would like to pack as I am a pretty small dude. Don't see a lot of them around, any opinions would be valued.

Thanks!!

I have a nikon ED50. Its a great scope, really good optics and light weight. I pack it with me all the time while i am hunting. Haven't seen a compact scope thats even close. Cameraland is still selling them.

+1 to Schleppy. There's nothing with that kind of glass in that small of a package, that I know of. It's a great little scope.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Thanks....I have heard they are nice. It would ne nice to look at one, there are no stores close that carry spotting scopes at all.

Appreciated!

I bought the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50 compact spotter along with a compact Nikon tripod that goes up 43". I have not had them in the field yet but the glass is crystal clear and the tripod seems to be of good quality so far. I found the spotter brand new on ebay for $300 and the tripod was about $50. I think this is a great setup considering it comes in at under 3 pounds combined.

I have that old 25x Leupold Compact spotter w/soft case and Leupold compact tripod FOR SALE $225.00!! both!
I don't need it anymore!
[email protected]

49f290a211ec7780.jpg

Rackmaster

Thanks again.....I have a buddy that has that same 15-30x Leupold....he had problems with the focus on it. He sent it in & apparantly it is where it needs to be now, but it just wasn't comfortable to me. I went ahead & bought the little Nikon & if it doesn't fit my eye, I can send it back...only out some shipping. I also got the Vortex Hi-country tripod. This set-up is also right around 3 lbs. I already have the Vortex Ridgeview that I use with 15's when hunting desert country. Those tripods have a ball head & work really well for me. I will give this set-up a try & if it isn't what I like, I'll keep looking until I find one that does. Thanks for all of your input, I do respect others opinions here....RM, sent you an email.

If you live locally, I can meet you at the Lehi cabelas and you can check out the Nikon 50 mm ED. ( I have the 40x zoom on mine) I really do not think there is anything better for being compact, lightweight and portable. If you do a search, I am pretty sure I posted a link to a guy who has them for the lowest prices on the web. He is in NYC and think he sells them for under $600. When i purchased the scope body from him, it was $399 and he said he ahd more than 100 in stock and he would sell me another at a discount if i purchased more than one. I was tempted.

Good Luck,

Porter

Sorry....only about 750 miles from Lehi, thank you for the offer. I had ordered one of the 50 ED Demo's from Cameraland last week....they called yesterday & are out of those. He also suggested the Minox 50 MD. I am in no hurry and I want the right glass in that small of a package. Your input about the 40x zoom has me thinking about that one right now. Cabela's in Reno is the closest & they do not have these small scopes, it's why I am asking around, as I will have to order one to see it. Rackmaster has a nice offer that one of my friends is considering, but that friend is waiting on seeing this 50 ED that I get first. Decisions, decisions, decisions...that's why I am doing this now, not at the last minute.

Thanks again for your thoughts!!

ASB,

Here is that site I was mentioning to you looks like he has upped them $10, but still a great deal. He has great service

http://www.shopwise2000.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=683

If you just want the 13-30, I still do not think these prices can be beat for straight or angled here:

http://www.shopwise2000.com/index.asp?Category=81&PageAction=VIEWCATS

Now the task would be finding the 40x eyepiece Which is the same as the 60x and 75X piece for the larger fieldscopes.

Here is a great deal for the 27x eyepiece that you can also use for digiscoping. It is great and cheap under $100.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-eyepiece-40x.html

Here is where I got my 40x zoom eyepiece. Get one, I promise you will not be disappointed!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-spotting-scope-eyepiece-7467.html

If you purchase the body only for $410 and this for $269, it is a lethal and exremely lightweight combo. for just under $800. I think it is free shipping on both.

I truly think it is so good to get by with I sold my Swarovski 60 mm and kept this one. I just could not see that much of a difference other than maybe 2-3 minutes of low light better from the swaro. This Nikon combo gives you a better field of view. You will be shocked at how well you can see at the full 40x. In addition, I did not pick up as many heat waves with the Nikon as i did with the Swaro.

The only difference, just a hair better glass on the Swaro, 2-3 minutes of low light time and about an inch better on the eye relief. If you wear glasses, the Nikon can be a bit tricky, but still works well. It is a dream in the backpack. nearly 2 lbs. lighter than the Swaro.

Hope you get as sold on it and as assicted as I have! Good Luck,

Porter.

Sorry on the math, you would only be in this $670 with the 40x zoom eyepiece. I really think you will love it. If not the 13-30 will still do quite well for $569.00

Porter.

Thanks for the reply....wheels are in motion!!

Appreciate all of the input here & on the other spotting scope posts, the info has been great!!!

Good luck with all your draws!!!

porter................?
you sold swarovski to buy nikon?.... "DID YOU BUMP YOUR HEAD"?
those compact above are pricey...may be worth a trip to reno or rocklin if I was looking...A hair(a red @#$% hair!) better glass my ass!
nikon never gave me a erection like swarovski did the 1st time glas met eye!
my 2 cents...

49f290a211ec7780.jpg

Rackmaster

Call me stupid.....I hit all those stores in the last few days while on work travel. They don't have the little guy, which this post is about....size & weight for the small pack. I have many friends that have Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, etc......those are AWESOME scopes....just too big for this particular need. What I will say is the bigger Nikon ED scopes compared to Swaro, etc when looking over Boomtown the other night from Cabela's were right in the ballpark!! Light & clarity were tough to tell apart...and I have NO LOYALITY to any brand. Even those won't fit into my pack for the hunt I am asking about

I'm still looking at what works best for my eye in a small version...again, I thank you for all of your opinions....I am still listening!

And.....many thanks to all your opinions....love the fact we have a venue like this to put ideas out there!!!

By the way, Rack.....that was not an insult to you...just re-read it & it may look that way....sorry! You have also offered a nice scope too at a fair offer....it's not about money now (although I have none), it's about having the right set-up for my half-blind eye!!

Again, thanks...it's why I am asking now instead of Sept!!!

i never felt botherd..thanks anyway..has nothing to do with the product I am offering...just funny how some see such a differance...every one intitled to what they beleive in.
half blind ? left or right mine is right I'll trade ya!!
lol
49f290a211ec7780.jpg

Rackmaster

Rack,

Ya gotta read the entire posts brother. As ASB said, intended purpose. I already owned both scopes, I did not sell the Swarovski to obtain the Nikon. Beleive me, after several trips in the field, I judged them both a lot. It did not seem to make a whole lot of sense to have a 50mm and a 60 mm for backpacking.

Yes, the Nikon is that good. I did not have a 60mm HD model, it ws the non HD. The Nikon does have a better field of view and for backpacking, two pounds lighter is very nice for my 41 year old knees.

Is the Nikon a swaro, heavens no!
The 60 mm did have better glass, better resolution, and you get another 20x of magnification. But this thread is about COMPACT spotting scopes, a 48 oz swarovski is NOT compact.

All this said, the money pocketed from the Swaro will probably go back into a purchase of an 80 mm scope (not compact and not for backpacking). I owned the 82 mm Nikon ED and it is great glass (yes much better tha the Nikon 60 mm non hd). It is very close to the 80 mm Swarovski HD. Yes the Swarovski is better, but not $1500 better. So witht he $1800 I got from the Swaro 60 mm, I will probably purchase and 82 mm Nikon ED for $1099 at opticsplanet (they are on sale).

Lest you think I snub swaro and I did bump my head real hard, the answer is no! I own 10x EL's and 15x SLC. They are valued as much as my children. I love them and will not part with them. That said the new Nikon EDG 10's beat out anything I have ever seen. They are better than my el's. However, my els are good enough and will remain with me. I trust the swarovski warranty more tha the nikon.

Hope this helps.

Porter

Look through a Kowa 614 and you will throw all those other scopes away. These are very light and have great optics. Has been my backpack scope for years. I have all the swarovskis leica 62's etc.. My wife likes the little Kowa better than any of those.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom