Conceal & Carry Permits

Zim

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-14 AT 07:35AM (MST)[p]I am currently taking classes to complete the new Illinois conceal & carry licensing requirements. Finding I will be out approx. $550 by the time I'll actually have permit in hand. I am just curious how other states regulate this........if everyone has these hoops to jump through, and the cost in various states.

Not a big firearms guy, and most my hunting is archery. I knew nothing about handguns. So I did some Googling, visited a gun shop and shot several models. Settled on a used/like new Glock 22, S&W 40 cal. Not great to conceal but my hands are big. Didn't like the compacts at all.

Chicago politicians are nothing but criminals.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

It's roughly $100-$150 here in Utah. Not near the hoops to jump through. I've heard that Illinois is one of the worst. I carry all the time, usually a full-size. I don't care for the sub-compacts and compacts either.

I just got mine here in Texas. I paid $65 for the class - including range time. The state fees are $165, submitted all my paperwork on Feb. 3 - just got the permit on May 23 - nearly 4 months of processing time.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-14 AT 02:20PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-14 AT 12:46?PM (MST)

Did your guys classes take 16 hours? I actually found mine so far quite interesting and very educational. I had a small session and a great police officer teaching.

Here in Illinois the city of Chicago made all kinds of unconstitutional conditions to slow things down. It has required private individuals splitting costs with the NRA to challenge these, and ALL have been successful so far. The latest one in court is Chicago's limiting magazines to 10 rounds. The Glock I bought actually does not comply, thus at present is not legal in the city. However, nobody discouraged me from buying it as they are confident that particular provision is one of those on the chopping block. The idiot legislators here didn't even see fit to exclude police officers from that requirement! I guess the wording had to be changed later.

Jaco, Have you ever had any instances of businesses objecting or anything?

In God's country, the semi-free state of Idaho you give the Sheriff $75, tell him you took Hunters Safety when you were 12, and wait a few weeks for the permit to come in the mail. It still pisses me off I have to pay $75 to exercise my constitutional right to "keep and bear" arms!

Californicated laws suck in most areas. Never even bothered to apply because here in this COUNTY you have to go see the SHERIFF and get his approval and it is so DEMOCRATIC. Unless YOU KNOW SOMEONE in the local GOVT forget even bothering getting or TRY TO GET A CCW....it just is not going to happen.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-14 AT 02:44PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-14 AT 02:42?PM (MST)

Zim - The State of Texas requires 10 hours, 8 hours in class and 2 at the range. Did it all in one Saturday. No restrictions on mag capacity either. I carry a 17 round S&W M&P 9MM. Well I would if I could carry most places I go. I work on a military base and a college campus - both gun free zones. So, I really only carry when I am out and about. This gun is too big for concealed carry really, so I currently carry it on my side, under a jacket. It is too freaking hot in Texas for a jacket most of the time. I am looking to get something smaller, probably a Kahr CM9 or a CW9 (the CW9 is slightly bigger and a little less expensive).

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-14 AT 04:58PM (MST)[p]Roy,

What you mention actually went into my decision making. It is cold here in the Chicago area much of the year. Most often I have some kind of jacket or coat on, most of which will provide concealment. I bought both side and shoulder holsters, and intend to see what works under which clothing.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-14 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]Kilo you must be around Santa Rosa, just as liberal as the bay area. Here in my N.CA. county all you have to do is go in to the sheriff's office and say I want a permit for "personal safety" and pay the fees of about 150 bucks, the state gets most of it, and pass the background check and firearm course and you got one.
When I was with the S.O. as a det. sgt. I oversaw the CCW permit program. We have a lot of citizens that are packing in this county and several next door counties are just as easy to get one.

RELH

Here in CO in cost me $75 for the class and another $60 or so to the sheriff. Took about 3-4 months to get it. Easy and painless.
Roy, I bought an elastic torso holster at a gun show. Easy to carry the glock under a t-shirt on a hot day. Maybe thats an option for you?

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-14
>AT 04:58?PM (MST)

>
>Roy,
>
>What you mention actually went into
>my decision making. It
>is cold here in the
>Chicago area much of the
>year. Most often I
>have some kind of jacket
>or coat on, most of
>which will provide concealment.
>I bought both side and
>shoulder holsters, and intend to
>see what works under which
>clothing.
>
>***********************************
>Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club,
>NRA, UWC & DP Hate
>Club

I use this in my classes; it is a good teaching point for being aware, not wearing so much clothing, using a bit of distraction, shielding his draw (by pulling his wallet) and so much more.

Any monkey with a stick can be taught to be accurate. You owe it to yourself to practice and practice some more at drawing from concealment and from different positions.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a95_1392212534

Like the others have said its about 150ish here in Utah, The laws changed a while ago and you don't need to do the shooting part anymore. The first time I took the class , My Mother wanted to have permit to carry a Gun, She worked the night shift at the hospital. Back then you need to qualify, to pass the course. I think it was 5 out of 10 on the range. our shooting lanes were next to eachother. I shot with my 1991A1 and her with a new Ladysmith 38. I qualified with 7 hits and 3 misses, She qualified with 5 hits and 5 misses. The instructor winked at me and said she shot "funny bullets" 2 holes looked like 38's and 3 looked a tad bigger :cool:

IN WYOMING WE PASSED A LAW SO WE ARE ALL LEAGAL... cant do that in a liberal state.

but I got mine before that law passed. I turned in my hunter safety card and got it.. simple. or you can do the class.

In West Virginia the Firearms Safety Class is about $30 and the background check and Sheriff fees are $90. That's for a five year permit. When you renew there isn't another safety class.

Class is supposed to be eight hours but it was a little less than that. Even at $30 with their being 30 people in the class the two LEOs that taught the class split $900 for a Saturday work day. Was held at volunteer fire department building. They did have expense for 22 ammo that they furnished.

We are a "must issue" state. If the sheriff doesn't have cause to deny the permit then he must issue it.

We also have reciprocity with about 30 to 35 other states that allows me to carry in those states also.

Nevada
8 hour class was $100.00 half a day class half day at range to qualify with semi auto and revolver and you can carry any hand gun
I believe state was $125.00...Took about 30 days

RELH what county are you in ? I'm in contra costa and you can pretty much forget about getting one here.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-14 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p] In North Eastern Calif., pay the money, take the class w/shooting, get your permit. I know of a dozen friends here local that have gotten theirs, classes going on often enough.

My Sister lives down in the Sacramento Valley, used to be really hard to get a CCP...until that law changed, the reason for having or getting one was challenged in Court. Now, all their friends and neighbors are getting theirs where once it was a tuff row to hoe.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-14 AT 08:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-14 AT 07:32?AM (MST)

Finished my training & qualification shoot yesterday. So I go to the Illinois Carry website to electronically apply, and they even handicap that with some bizarre Java software obstacle. Aholes.......I have the most current version of Java. Works on every application I try.....except for Illinois Carry website. Bunch of BS. Anything to make the process difficult, the state does. They can kiss my ***. Nothing they do will stop me.

My advice to anyone trying to get a CC permit in Illinois is to find the best accredited one stop training vendor in your local, and pay them to do EVERYTHING including the complete application process. They are familiar with every BS obstacle Chicago politicians pile in the pathway to your 2nd amendment rights.

Application is submitted. Had to drive all the way back to GAT Guns to have them do it, thanks to pathetic inoperable ILCC website. Thanks Chicago politicians for wasting everyone's gas who has had to do this. Losers. You can't stop me from getting my CC and now I'm going to carry just to spite you. Otherwise I was planning to leave it at home. Congratulations.

Oilcan, I am two counties above Sacramento County. Go to the calguns.net website and you can check for the latest laws concerning getting a permit. Contra Costa country where you are is a liberal county and very anti gun, but due to recent court cases decisions in Sacramento and Yolo county and some southern CA. counties, rules have been relaxed in CA. liberal areas on obtaining a permit. They hate getting sued and losing.

RELH

In Montana it's pretty easy. Take a class and fill out a form sent with a small fee (mine was 60 dollars I think) to the sherrifs office of the county you live in. Classes vary but I took a more extensive one as the instructor is an ex military pistol instructor and I wanted the more involved part of his class regarding the mechanics of shooting a handgun. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom