Confused 21 or 61. DIY or guided?

Craig

Very Active Member
looking to hunt 2015. I will have 12 points in 2015. Should be able to draw unless there is big point jump.

unit 21 2nd season or unit 61 3rd season? always open to other units that might be good

I could do a DIY hunt or I could go guided. DIY would be better because it would save me ( $5000 ). I am asking now because the guide I have talked to only had a couple spots left for the 2015 unit 61 3rd season hunt and I need to put a deposit down soon If i want to book a hunt.

I would be happy with a giant buck but a goal would be 170" or bigger. I have read so many old post that I think I confused myself more then helped myself. So any input would help. I live in Washington and would only be able to scout 2-3 days before the hunt started.

Some things i am thinking about.

2015 I think the seasons move back about a week with the start of a new 5 season structure

3rd season will have more pre rut/rut activity

21 might be easier country to hunt then 61

If I go guided in 61 will have access to good private property.

Help a confused hunter out.
Thanks

My nephew had a 61 second season buck tag did not scout a single day killed a 194 7/8 buck on public land the first evening!! rare to do but 61 holds some great bucks !dont know anything about 21 so cant help there ....just like 61

Have no clue about what unit would be better but just so you are aware the new 5 year plan will be in effect in 2015. That may or may not affect the point/draw system. It is under review due to point creep now by the CO DOW.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I can't help you choose between 21 and 61, but keep in mind that the season dates do not automatically jump back with the start of a new 5-year season structure. The dates are determined by the start of the first rifle season, which always starts "on the first Saturday after October 9."

Given that criteria, the next "jump" will occur in 2016, when the first Saturday after the 9th will be the 15th. Third season would start on Nov. 5 that year, assuming that CPW keeps the same season structure with the new 5-year plan.

Thank you for the explanation of the hunt dates. I might want to wait to try and draw in 2016.

If the dates line up for the third season being later during hte starting of the rut, I would definitely go for that hunt over the second. IMO 61 would be better.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom