Confused...Please help me understand

74Superlead

I drew my first archery elk hunt this fall. I will be hunting with an 08 Bowtech 82nd Airborne. DL 29, DW 58 (60lb limbs maxed out). I was informed by a very reliable source on another website that I should be shooting a 340 arrow with 125gr broadhead. I have no reason to doubt this person. I moved to the Beman ics hunter 340 at 27.5 inches with vibranocks and inserts. I have my arrows flying true with the 125gr field points. I need recommendations for a fixed blade broadhead. I realize that this is a very subjective topic. I was really trying to make the NAP thunderheads work for me (at 100gr), just not sure about the 125gr. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. What confuses me is that none of the arrow charts recommend a 340 arrow for my setup.

TIA,
John

You could probably get away with a weaker-spined shaft like 400's but there's really no reason to do that, unless you're really particular for wanting more speed. As far as broadheads, Thunderheads are well-known for being "steery" and more difficult to tune for perfect flight. Either 100 grain heads or 125 grain would both be fine. A mere 25 grains more or less, won't make any noticeable difference in your ability to get shafts to fly well with broadheads. I prefer lighter 100 grain heads myself, but 125's will shoot fine for you if you choose. A shorter profile broad head will be easier to tune. A few examples are Slick Tricks, NAP Hellrazors, VPA Terminators, G5 Montecs, and of course many, many others. They're all good, just pick one, get them to spin perfectly on your shafts, then off you go with tuning.

I agree with the above post. 25 grains is not going to be the difference between a successful or unsuccessful bow kill. Keep your shooting distance reasonable and ethical on live animals and avoid hitting shoulder at all costs.

Thank you for your replies. So - the previous advise that was given to me was to spine up and grain up. Maybe try both 100gr and 125gr and see if there is a noticeable difference?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-17 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]Archers Advantage says 28.5" arrow with 125gr heads would work better. But, at 27.5 with 125gr heads you are marginal stiff, a 100gr head is to stiff. My D345 likes marginal stiff as well. I can shoot any head I want but prefer 4 blades such as Magnus Stingers or Steelforce Phatheads. Vpa 3 blades would be a good choice or Nap Hellrazors or Wacems.

Thank's for the input. I was thinking that I would be building new arrows. I am presuming that archers advantage is an arrow building software? I will do a search and check it out.

Appreciate you,
John

If you're using new broadheads, I'd favor the 125 for the improved Front of Cebter (FOC)...and extra weight for an elk arrow.

>If you're using new broadheads,
>I'd favor the 125 for
>the improved Front of Cebter
>(FOC)...and extra weight for an
>elk arrow.

Thanks. That's the direction I am leaning towards. Any BH suggestions?

I would have to agree with the last post, Montec's or G-5 Strikers fly like fieldpoints to 80yds newer technology heads more aerodynamic with 2"blazers....FMJ 340 or what you have I shoot same pounds as you and FMJ 340 at 466gr. Total pass thru on elk at 40 yds lung shot....its about shot placement.....I hate thunderheads ......worst head I ever shot.....

Good luck....
)))))))------------->

>I would have to agree with
>the last post, Montec's or
>G-5 Strikers fly like fieldpoints
>to 80yds newer technology heads
>more aerodynamic with 2"blazers....FMJ 340
>or what you have I
>shoot same pounds as you
>and FMJ 340 at 466gr.
>Total pass thru on elk
>at 40 yds lung shot....its
>about shot placement.....I hate thunderheads
>......worst head I ever shot.....
>
>
>Good luck....
>)))))))------------->

Thanks!

Just a bit of arrow "theory". The idea is to perfectly match the spine of your arrow to your bow. Perhaps the perfect spine for your bow wold be a 370, but arrow manufacturers can't make every single possible spines, it wouldn't be economical. So they make a few options, in your case you get to choose between a 340 or a 400.

To make an arrow weaker you can add weight to the front, leave it longer as opposed to shorter, and/or increase your draw weight. To make an arrow stiffer do the opposite, cut it down, take off weight or lighten the draw weight.

With your arrows being marginally stiff (which is better than weak) I would personally start buy cutting very little off at a time and shooting groups. I would determine which grain of point you need by trying to keep your front of center around 10-13%. I feel, just my opinion, that front of center is super important when it comes to broadhead flight.

I would argue that if you tinker around with these things and make your arrow match your rig perfectly, you will be able to shoot about any broadhead you want so long as it is the proper grain weight to keep your FOC. JMO

>Just a bit of arrow "theory".
>The idea is to perfectly
>match the spine of your
>arrow to your bow. Perhaps
>the perfect spine for your
>bow wold be a 370,
>but arrow manufacturers can't make
>every single possible spines, it
>wouldn't be economical. So they
>make a few options, in
>your case you get to
>choose between a 340 or
>a 400.
>
>To make an arrow weaker you
>can add weight to the
>front, leave it longer as
>opposed to shorter, and/or increase
>your draw weight. To make
>an arrow stiffer do the
>opposite, cut it down, take
>off weight or lighten the
>draw weight.
>
>With your arrows being marginally stiff
>(which is better than weak)
>I would personally start buy
>cutting very little off at
>a time and shooting groups.
>I would determine which grain
>of point you need by
>trying to keep your front
>of center around 10-13%. I
>feel, just my opinion, that
>front of center is super
>important when it comes to
>broadhead flight.
>
>I would argue that if you
>tinker around with these things
>and make your arrow match
>your rig perfectly, you will
>be able to shoot about
>any broadhead you want so
>long as it is the
>proper grain weight to keep
>your FOC. JMO

Thanks - and I think you're correct. I took the advise from a post on this thread and purchased Archer's Advantage. I played around with it and determined that I will build arrows using 340 spine Goldtip xt hunter pro arrows cut at 29.25" and use 125 gr tips. I'm still on the fence regarding broadhead choice. I think I've narrowed it down to the QAD exodus .or the G5 montecs.

So I purchased the Goldtip hunter pro 340's with the 125gr field points. Have ordered the 125gr QAD exodus full blade. I am very pleased with these arrows. I shot 100gr NAP Thunderheads and they performed very well. Cant wait to see the results of the QAD's.

>So I purchased the Goldtip hunter
>pro 340's with the 125gr
>field points. Have ordered the
>125gr QAD exodus full blade.
>I am very pleased with
>these arrows. I shot 100gr
>NAP Thunderheads and they performed
>very well. Cant wait to
>see the results of the
>QAD's.

Good deal, No just waiting on CO and UT to give out some tags! Good luck if you haven't gotten one yet! And good for you taking the time now instead of in thee months to get this rolling. I wish more people would follow your lead.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom