contribution of the action to overall accuracy?

lip_curl

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-15 AT 11:22PM (MST)[p]I was planning on lightening up my rem 700 mp lapua with a proof carbon fiber barrel. turns out the stock doesnt quite fit, so now im looking at a new stock. After going that far, i start thinking about just a complete custom build and got a rude surprise when i start looking at the price of custom actions. $1300? is there really $700-800 worth of improvement in a pierce or defiance over a rem 700? ive got two bone stock remmy's that put bullets in the same hole and group in a pie plate out to 800. im having a hard time believing that the extra price of the custom action is justified. the barrel...sure. anyone have any good arguments for a custom over a mod 700? aside from the trigger/safety issues of course.

Depends who you talk to...for the competition guys it makes sense. For us hunters and recreational shooters a trued Remington 700 action is all you need. I have a trued 700 that can shoot in the .1s and a trued Model 7 that never shoots out of the .2s at 100 yards, both with Nosler hunting bullets. The only argument I see on the custom action is in resale value...they bring top dollar on the used market compared to a Remington 700 that has been trued (I believe this has to do with the gunsmith that has done the work, just another variable as all aren't created equal that's for sure)....save your money and have it trued before you put it back together...PM me if you need a name of who to send it too as I know several that are excellent and don't charge too much for that service.

By the time you true the action, put a Jewell trigger in it and a real exctractor you're getting closer to the price of the Borden or Stiller but you still just have a 700 action with a plate for a recoil lug.

But if you want to do all that the 700 will do just fine. I doubt for a hunting gun the difference in accuracy would be enough to ever notice.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom