Coyote Pelts

JDC

I actually got lucky and shot a coyote yesterday. I am new to this and have no idea of the value or where to take them. I also understand that some counties (Utah) have a bounty on coyotes. Is this true and to what agency would I take it? To those of you that do this a lot, what do you do with the pelts from the coyotes you take?

Thanks for any input.

Jon

Most of the stories I've heard about bounty's are myths. Skin em, stretch em, and take em to a fur buyer. They STINK, its a fair amount of work, but it beats lettin em lay. Also covers gas and beer.

I havent went after yotes scince the gas price went thru the roof, but as of '04 i was getting 30-50 bucks a hide, depending on the dog.

No myth on the bounty here in Utah. Call fish and game, tell them what county you shot the coyotes. They should give you the number to whoever is over the bounty in that county. I have not been coyote hunting for two years now but last time I took in the ears I had five sets of ears and received 100 bucks. From what I was told If you take in the whole dog and let them look at it they clip the tops of the ears that way you can still skin them, and sell the pelt. score double that way. Its been awhile so things may have changed but thats how I remember it to be.

Cache County has a bounty which is $20/set of ears but you have to be a residence. That's the only bounty I know of. I know a guy in Hyrum that will pay you for the coyote in the round (in skinned) usually $10-$15. He told me last week that coyotes are probably going to be down this year due to the number of unsold pelts from last year and the demand being low. PM if you want to get his contact info.

Thanks for the feedback guys. At the advice of JamesM (Post# 3) I contacted the DWR. They refered me to Tooele county who verified that a bounty does exist and gave me the names and numbers of who I needed to contact. What I found out is that the bounty is $20 and then if it is in good condition, I can sell the pelt. That is not too bad. If I was worth a crap at calling, maybe I could actually make a bit this winter.

Get out there and save some deer - and make a little $$ while you are at it.

Jon

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom