coyote question

N

nmelkandmuleys

is it legal to spotlight yotes here in NM? if so what are the regs?

"Better to dwell in the wilderness, Then with a contentious and angry women Proverbs 21:19)

I'm almost certain you cant be spotlighting. And have a firearm in the vehicle.As far as being set up in the field I dont know.
I saw an episode of Predetor Pursuit.But they were using
night vision scopes and calling.

Crazy is correct for all public land, however I "think" you can get a special permit for private land to use artificial light for predator hunting.

Definately a big no-no on public ground, they can confiscate everything you have in posession that was used, even your truck if they catch you with a firearm in the vehicle and using a spotlight. Even if you're not guilty of firing a shot.

PG 12 NM proclamation:

it is illegal to:
Shine spotlights or other artificial lights into areas where big
game or livestock might be, if persons using the light have
in possession any firearm or implement capable of killing big
game or livestock.

Sporting arms may be seized and forfeited if they are used in
taking, attempting to take, illegally possessing or transporting big game during closed season, exceeding the bag limit on big game during open season or taking or attempting to take big game by use of spotlight or artificial light. Vehicles and sporting arms used by anyone charged with spotlighting or hunting with the aid of artificial light may be confiscated at the scene and are subject to forfeiture and sale at auction upon conviction.

Being that coyotes are nongame species a lot of the rules that are for big game don't apply to coyotes. For example you don't have to be any certain distance off the road to shoot a coyote. I think the best thing you can do is call and ask a game warden for clarification on any questions you may have.

That section on pg 12 he posted looks pretty darn clear that you better not be doing ANY spotlighting with a caliber that can be used for big game. That probably includes the .243 that some of the MMers say they are using for elk!

i agree that its not illegal to spotlight coyotes but ive never liked how the reg is stated that you cant use artificial light anywhere a big game species "may be" im sure if you talked to the game warden and were clear about your intentions and locations you would be ok, but if not thats just giving them a reason..

How can you make that statement when it specifically says anywhere there might be big game? Coyotes are usually in those areas unless they're living out of a garbage can in a suburb! It would seem that was worded that way to make an all inclusive statement.

called and they said "you can not use artificial light on public ground with firearm in you possession but you can buy a temp 14 day permit for private land." i think ill give it a try. on private land (witch ill be hunting) it doesnt matter if big game is around but i can be subject to a fine if i kill or injure one.

"Better to dwell in the wilderness, Then with a contentious and angry women Proverbs 21:19)

>called and they said "you can
>not use artificial light on
>public ground with firearm in
>you possession but you can
>buy a temp 14 day
>permit for private land." i
>think ill give it a
>try. on private land (witch
>ill be hunting) it doesnt
>matter if big game is
>around but i can be
>subject to a fine if
>i kill or injure
> one.
>
>"Better to dwell in the wilderness,
>Then with a contentious and
>angry women Proverbs 21:19)

Not trying to start some crap, but how can NMDGF regulate or position any "rules" on a non-game species...I don't understand.

And according to the quote from above, anyone with a Crimson Trace is breaking the rules, even at night.

Just don't get it...coyotes are non-game and NMDGF should have no say.

What do I know!! :D

If any of you NM resident are looking for a coyote hotspot let me know. I was hunting north of the Gila this year and seen a ton of dogs. If i had a gun with me, I could have killed at least 30 yotes. I seen them almost every morning and evening.

>>called and they said "you can
>>not use artificial light on
>>public ground with firearm in
>>you possession but you can
>>buy a temp 14 day
>>permit for private land." i
>>think ill give it a
>>try. on private land (witch
>>ill be hunting) it doesnt
>>matter if big game is
>>around but i can be
>>subject to a fine if
>>i kill or injure
>> one.
>>
>>"Better to dwell in the wilderness,
>>Then with a contentious and
>>angry women Proverbs 21:19)
>
>Not trying to start some crap,
>but how can NMDGF regulate
>or position any "rules" on
>a non-game species...I don't understand.
>
>
>And according to the quote from
>above, anyone with a Crimson
>Trace is breaking the rules,
>even at night.
>
>Just don't get it...coyotes are non-game
>and NMDGF should have no
>say.
>
>What do I know!! :D

G&F is very involved in "Non-Game" species management!
Non game does not mean "Non-game & fish".

Don't get so critical on the crimson trace comment. No officer would consider that "spotlighting".

>
>________________
>
>G&F is very involved in "Non-Game"
>species management!
>Non game does not mean "Non-game
>& fish".

Yeah, that's the problem!

NMDGF blows!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom