Coyote weapon restrictions????

jd332001

Hi I wanted to see if any of you Utah folks know if there is a weapon restriction currently in Utah to hunt coyotes like they have here in CO. You cant hunt coyotes here with any weapon bigger than a .223 during the regular deer/elk seasons unless you have an unfilled big game tag. Dont have anything smaller than a .243. Was looking to take daughters out to try and call in some yotes tomorrow morn but want to make sure im ok????? Any help. Thanks.

As far as I know coyotes are open to hunt unrestricted in utah. Well I guess except for the obvious like no shooting in city limits, 600 feet from any building barns and so on.
In you Utah you cannot hunt with a suppressor. But I was thinking for coyotes it my be ok since they are a nongame animal . Any thought on this ? Dont mean to still your thread .I was just think of this when answering your question.

Here is a little more I found. Coyotes are not protected in Utah. They

may be hunted without a license, year round. To
receive compensation for coyote removal, you
must follow the program rules and guidelines.
Specifically, you must:
1. Complete the online training and registration course at wildlife.utah.gov/predators.
2. Submit the coyote?s lower jaw and either
the full pelt or the scalp (with both ears attached).
Also submit proper documentation, including the
GPS location where the coyote was taken.
3. Request compensation only at designated
sites and on designated days and times. These
locations are listed and updated regularly at
wildlife.utah.gov/predators.
4. Follow all rules and regulations related to
firearm use and trapping (for example, trap registration numbers and check times), as detailed in
this guidebook and in the Predator Control Incentives Rule R657-64, Utah Code and local law

Hi and ty BigJohn. I seen that is the rule books but can't seem to find anything about caliber restriction during the hunting seasons so I assume it is ok. I just ended up hunting some here is CO as I wasn't sure. I am going to call the Utah game and fish and see. Thanks Again BigJohn

Coyotes are lumped into a catagory with jack rabbits and other animal...etc. there are no weapon restrictions. You can hunt a coyote with a bb gun or a 50 BMG and anything in between.

Not that I would choose to hunt them with a bb gun....

I know of one kid shooting yotes with his .17 out to about 100 yards and destroying their lungs/heart. I would have 100% confidence in your .243 out to the distance you are comfortable shooting.

My personal choice for these dogs is my Browning X-bolt 22-250. Seems to drop them dead enough.

good luck and sorry about the spelling errors!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom