Coyotes in Oregon

LoveBigRacks

Just about finished up with the winter cow tags out here in Western Oregon and I'm looking for some help hunting coyotes. I've taken a few over on this side of the Cascades but mostly during scouting trips or seeing them by chance while out in the woods. I'd like to get a little more serious about it though and give myself something to do in the off season. I don't mind driving to the Central/Eastern side of the state either. Ideally, I'd like to find a farm or a ranch willing to allow access to a responsible hunter looking to hone his shooting skills and help diminish the coyote population. Also, any tips on calls would be appreciated. Thanks as always.

LBR

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-04 AT 10:26AM (MST)[p]Hand calls I like the Tally-ho. I think if you go out in eastern part of the State and just do some driving around and talking to farmer you will find a spot to hunt coyotes, ask if the have have any cows or such die and where the are located, those are always got spots to set-up on to call from we use those same areas to set up traps to catch them coming and going. I don't know your laws up there, But in the old days we use to buy old sheep( a few bucks apiece) in the sale barn and set up bait stations for them to coming too,let them start feeding there then, set snares up on the trails leading to and from,( load up the area with alot of snares) works great and you can really get a lot of them in a short time. After they get use to the snares you can set footholds for them and get a few more then we move to calling and thin them just a little more, the rest will probaly never be taken,But setting up the Bait Stations are by far the easy way to bring in alot of them to one place. Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom