Crimping

pls009

I've been reloading for only a couple years for a couple bolt rifles that I have and haven't been crimping. I have a Browning Bar 30-06 that I would like to start making loads for. Do I need to start crimping since this is a semi auto? Anyone have experience with this? I don't like to crimp and am hoping for someone to tell me what I want to hear but if I need to learn to crimp, I will. If anyone wants to offer what load works good for them for their 30-06 in 180 gr bullets, I'm all ears! Thanks for the advice and taking the time to respond - Paul

I used to load for my dada's BAR 7 mag and I never crimped, and I never had a problem with it. they do say you should though.

I had to get a set of small base dies for it, you could try standards but don't be surprised if you have problems.

+1 my friend also loaded for the auto and had issues using standard dies. Had to purchase the smaller dies or had case sizing issues. He also does not crimp.

))))------->

Thanks for the replies guy's! I went out and bought a set of small dies. I had no idea there was such a thing - I'm glad I asked.

I am looking at doing trying the crimping. I have a freind that uilds long range custom coyote guns. He told me crimping will give you more consistent velocities. I will try it and let you know.

Since you are reloading, there is something you should be aware of if you are going to crimp and expect consistant bullet pull to get you that consistant velocity.

You have to be sure and trim your brass so that all of the brass is the same lenght in order that the crimp will apply even pull resistance. If you get a case that is longer then the others, your crimp will be excessive and your accuracy goes South in a hurry.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-12 AT 11:14PM (MST)[p]>I am looking at doing trying
>the crimping. I have
>a freind that uilds long
>range custom coyote guns.
>He told me crimping will
>give you more consistent velocities.
> I will try it
>and let you know.

The reason that is, is because most guys are clueless on the loading bench....Concentricity/runout and neck tension. I want to find a nice way to say it, but cant..Crimping for accuracy is a band aid for sloppy loading MOST of the time...not saying a crimp dont have its place, but accuracy and low SD/ES isnt one of them..

I will add more to Reddog's post. I have never crimped for rifle rounds except for a 45/70 cal. That was being used in a tubular magazine. The crimp was done for the purpose of preventing bullet set back of the rounds in the magazine under heavy recoil and spring pressure.

I normally crimp on heavy mag pistol calibers to prevent bullet jump if the loaded round is close to the cylinder lengh and moving forward a few thousands may tie up the cylinder with the bullet hitting the forcing cone.

RELH

Well I guess I can skip it. I am getting great accuracy, no signs of pressure, and about 1/2 inch MOA. My standard deviation is currenty about 6 fps. more than enough for what I need. Thanks for the friendly advice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom