Custom or not

dmick33

So I have been talking to a gun smith and can get a custom rifle built for around 2500. I have also been looking at the Winchester m70 extreme weather rifle 1100 and have heard good things about it. It is quite a bit of difference in price the custom would take some paychecks to get paid. So is it worth getting the custom over a good production rifle?

NO.
......but they will just about always be more accurate and are addicting as hell for me and I won't have anything but customs.
I think they saw do as I say not as I do! I really think a factory gun can be made to handle all of your hunting accuracy needs.

It depends. With a custom gun you get to choose what barrel length, profile, twist, material, chamber, throat, bedding, stock, trigger, you have. On a production gun you get off the shelf, one size fits all. You can also have a gunsmith just re-barrel an existing receiver and add to it as your funds are available.

The drawback to the semi-custom route is the wait. Wait 4 months for the barrel, wait a few months for the stock, and wait a few months for the gunsmith to do the work. But, it will be exactly what you want.

One question for you - do you handload or shoot factory ammo?
When it comes to customs, unless you handload often times the custom will not shoot much or any better than some factory rifles.

I've done it both ways - and by the way I don't handload, so for me anyway what I've concluded after spending way too much money is stick with a good factory rifle, maybe buy a good stock for it like a McMillan Edge or one of the new Manners EH stocks, have it properly bedded and go shoot stuff.

I recently did this with a Remington SPS stainless 7mm-08, just got a new Edge Classic for it, had the barrel cut & recrowned and installed a Shilen trigger. Also blinged it a bit with a fluted bolt and different bolt knob. For half the cost of most customs Ive got a really well balanced rifle that is surprisingly accurate with almost any ammo I shot so far.

But, a full on custom can be a dang nice rig when it all comes together. Good luck to you, let us know how it turns out.

I am leaning towards getting the winchester if I can find one. I do hate the fact of waiting to get work done on things but I know I have to be patient. Plus there arent really any gunsmiths in my area and it takes so long to get stuff sent off.

When it comes to rifles, especially customs - it will teach you patience:) Like you said, most stuff needs to be sent out, the smith I use mostly is in Michigan - I'm in Oregon. The other guy I use is in Oklahoma, so everything takes time, but its worth it to get quality work.

Dmick what calibers are you considering? Also another thought for you. You can buy a semi custom or custom rifle used and save yourself time and some $$$.

I have kept my eye open for the past 6 months and havent been able to see any that wasnt already the price of a new custom. I am looking at the 7mm mag and the 300 mag.

I would suggest a semi custom, top quality with a gaurantee and resale if you decide to sell it. full custom guns are a dog to sell except for a few well known smiths. semi customs are hot sellers.

I like Bansner, Rifles Inc and Jarrett best because I like lightweight magnum tack drivers but there are many great outfits doing this.

HS Precision is another way to go.

Stay thirsty my friends

700 donor, good barrel, good stock, good gunsmith. Pick a cartridge and have it built. Bet it can be done for less than 2500 bucks. mtmuley

A lot of good advice already listed. I have one custom, it's my favorite gun that I have owned. That being said they suck a lot of money, get you addicted, and really test your patience during the process. You could get a nice production rifle and stick a really nice piece of glass on top for what the thought of a custom rifle will cost you.

I know you aren't looking for this caliber, but I have a 270 Winchester extreme weather in a McMillan edge stock that I'm currently pondering whether or not to sell. If you're interested let me know.

LAST EDITED ON May-16-13 AT 11:18PM (MST)[p]>So when everyone says semi custom
>that pretty much means new
>stock barrel maybe some trigger
>work?
Yes, that. I suppose everyone has their own idea of semi-custom. For me I'd say you start with whatever factory rifle you want, swap out the stock for a high-end one like a Manners or McMillan Edge, new trigger like a Shilen, Jewell or Timney, also maybe new lightweight bolt shroud/firing pin. Maybe have it recrowned by a good smith, also have it bedded properly. Or I suppose some would say have a custom barrel put on which would then be a true "semi-custom" and also have the action trued. Lots of ways to go, and ways to spend your money:)

How did your 270 shoot stock? I already own a 270 just looking for something a little bigger. Right now I'm leaning towards the 300 wsm in that Winchester. I'd like a custom gun but don't think I can justify the cost right now even though if I work on the Winchester later ill probably end up with more money in it just spread out.

A semi custom is basically a worked over production action , new barrel and new stock. just what you'd have if you built a custom only with a gaurantee and a pedigree.

The difference is a semi custom won't leave the builder until it shoots what their gaurantee states. if your custom doesn't shoot as you want it's your problem, your dime and your time.

What it really boils down to is do you feel lucky? I've had too many poor shooting customs from Joe the best gunsmith in the world everyone say. so I know my luck isn't so good.

Stay thirsty my friends

Yeah that's why I'm leaning towards just buying the Winchester now in the 300 and working it up later but if it shoots like my 270 win I might not ever touch it. So does anyone have anything to change my mind from 300 to 7mm before I pull the trigger.

I just went through this entire process myself. I chose to go with an off the shelf Rem 700 CDL SF in 30-06. I put a McM Edge stock on it, a new Jewell trigger, Talley rings, Leupold 6-18x scope, and bedded the action. I left the factor barrel on it for now (I may swap it out for a new one some day). It's a light weight gun that is shooting 1.5 inches at 200 yards. I think it'll shoot better once I can get some more rounds down the barrel.

Even though I did all of the piecing together myself, it wasn't cheap. Just the McM stock and trigger is $1k and the gun another $1k. Still a bit of money but quite a bit cheaper than the custom guns that are easily over $4k. I didn't think the extra cash for a custom gun was worth it to get groups tighter than the 1.5" @ 200 yards that I'm getting. IMO.

Guns are like anything else, you get what you pay for but the difference at the top end costs so much it can be hard to justify. it's like is a Snap On wrench worth 5 times what a craftsman wrench costs? everyone has to make that call themselves.

I justified my customs because of weight, I like a field ready well scoped magnum tack driver that comes in under 7 lbs. if I was buying them with nothing but accuracy in mind that would be a hard sell.

Stay thirsty my friends

Yeah I think I am going to have to swallow a patient pill and save up and build on one later. I just saw a bow for sale that looks real nice but I said three years for a new one it's just oh so hard to wait. Come on powerball tonight.

>How did your 270 shoot stock?
>I already own a 270
>just looking for something a
>little bigger. Right now I'm
>leaning towards the 300 wsm
>in that Winchester. I'd like
>a custom gun but don't
>think I can justify the
>cost right now even though
>if I work on the
>Winchester later ill probably end
>up with more money in
>it just spread out.

The EW's are good shooters. I mostly changed the stock because I did not like the feel of the B&C stock in my hands.

Well I found and pulled the trigger on a m70 extreme weather in 300wsm. Can't wait for my ten days and go out and shoot it some.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom