cut throat thats what this is

T

twister

after reading some of the threads and posts i think the shed forum is down right cutthroat . from the midwest and the farmers get most of the sheds plowed under before we get to fist fightin over them . most are basket rack whitetails that you guys would not even slow down for. those horns must bring good money or i must be missing something.we shed hunt to find out what made it past hunting season not for profit

Couldn't agree more! I would never sale a shed for a profit. The only reason I shed hunt is, like you, to see what made it and maybe find a decent animal. Stop all sales of sheds and there will be mountains full of bones for us who really care!

Those are pretty broad statements fellas...Not all here shed hunt for prophit. Nor do the rest of us have some conspiracy against you who shed hunt to see what next years potentials are. So before you go blow'n that oversized horn between oyur cheeks, maybe you should consider the folks like myself who hunt antlers for the sheer joy of walking the hills and spott'n a tine,or to see the look on my childrens faces when they find some bone,or for the opportunity to post some ATL's for all to enjoy. Cut throat??? I dont thinks so... Shallow minded on your part??? Very much so!

Here's for all the real shed hunters..
hornhunting005.jpg

Some of us use up a weeks vacation each year to just walk around in Yellowstone National park to be with our hiking buddy and to look at this years crop of sheds!!!

On the other hand--- I have 30 fresh elk sheds that my hiking buddy and I have discovered this spring piled in my living room! They can't stay there forever, why not sell them for $7 per pound to pay for the gas to drive to the hills to pick them up!!!I look at it as a hobby that pays for it's self and keeps me in shape!!! I have walked 70 miles to pick up that pile.
NO animals were harrassed, hurt or harmed in any way by my being there either! I realize that this part of the world is not as crowded as some places. There are to many people looking for sheds in some areas. There are real harassment problems that need addressed. There are huge areas here that are closed to human presence till after green up. I fully support these closures.

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

sorry did not mean to offend the masses. just from what i have read there seems to be more controversy over the horns than the critter itself.one day i hope i am lucky enough to draw a great tag in utah and you hear about the shed hunting all the time.did not mean to single out people. i will shut my mud flapper and stick to what i know .

i'm with wyohikeit. it's a great way to stay in shape. I too do it for the enjoyment of being in the hills. and my daughter gets really excited when i come home with a horn, she is still too young to come out with me, can't wait till she gets older
480b725720fd4101.jpg

I can't find any buyers here with a decent price. $4.50 a pound for brown antler...a dollar cheaper than the prices I got in the 1980's. They start to pile up after a while and storage becomes a problem. Don't want to give them away, though. I can remember how I found each one. I've bored many a friend with my antler hunting stories.

100_1223.jpg

hey everyone has their own opinions. you were never in the wrong man. some people find things to get upset about.. I was interested in what you wrote. there is alot of drama over sheds on here. that's why I usually never post my pics. as for what I use sheds is a mixture. One to see what makes it past the hunt, another cus it's a hobby i've had since I was knee high to a grass hopper. I sold mine once when I was 16. I made a couple grand but to me it wasn't worth it. Didn't get the money I deserved and I missed havin em after:D.. Now i just have the stack growin. I hope to learn to make stuff wit em. Maybe one day if i ever need a lil extra cash i'll sell em. but for now they reside in a empty room in my dads house:D. good luck to you with your shed huntin. I hope the hunt didn't effect your deer too much, l8r,
c4s

twister:

I was not offended by your post at all. To a certain extent, the competitive nature of the game is all part of the fun, as long as it remains all in good fun.

I've never been tempted to sell any of my 100+ sheds as I plan to build an arch similar to the ones in Afton and Jackson Hole over a koi pond in my back yard. I enjoy looking at them, and reminiscing about the hunt. They otherwise have little value as measuring sticks of the quality of huntable animals, because almost all of these elk migrate several miles out of the area by the end of March.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom