CVA magbolt and Blackhorn 209 Hang-firing

Verticalslope

Well I have heard excellent reports on Blackhorn 209 propellant for muzzleloaders. I tested it out yesterday in my CVA Magbolt .50 rifle. I shot two loads and the first one had a couple mis-fires where the powder did not ignite. I removed the breech plug cleaned the flash hole, reinserted the breech plug and compressed the load again with the ramrod. The load fired but only after a hang-fire. Loaded a second charge and had the same issue. I am shooting Winchester W209 primers.

The two shots,even with the hang-fires were awsome, right on top of each other and minimal smoke and recoil. Has anyone else tried Blackhorn 209 in a older CVA Magbolt.

I found several articles online discussing issues with the flash hole size of the magbolt being .028 and it needs to me more around .035 to properly ignite the propellant. They also addressed the issue with the slotted breech plug causing too much back blow and recommend trying the CVA Kodiak/Apex hex nut breech plug.

Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it? I really love the limited results from the limited rounds fired. The Blackhorn also has virtually no smoke and very limited fouling.

you need the hex head breech plug thats fully enclosed and then you will have to shim the 2 piece bolt to make for a snug fit against the primer to prevent blow by. Sign up below, we have a guy that makes custom plugs for the cva's and then i can help you with pictures of the mag bolt i had.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

FrontierGander, I signed up on the forum using the same contact name. Can you paste a link to your topic in the FrontierMuzzleloading.com regarding this issue, in this forum. Thanks for your help. I really like the Blackhorn 209 performance thus far and all the data indicates it's a superior option for inlines.

Thanks for the information. I just replaced my breech plug with the wolf hex nut plug and had no hang fires even after twelve shots. The primers are clean and I tried both the CCI magnum and Winchester W209. The Winchesters are slightly longer and ingite cleaner than the CCI's do in my gun.

excellent! Make sure you use a 3mm drill bit and with your fingers, turn the bit inside the breech plugs flash channel and it will "cut" a great deal of carbon out of the plug. Keep it clean or else misfires will start happening.

Go here and order these using this number : 9262K611 You put them in the primer hole and seat it. It will provide a snug fit against the primer/bolt.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3490/=i4hyun

DSCN3802.JPG

Those o rings will last anywhere from 30 shots to 50 shots.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom