dads 60th b-day gift- hand load for Sendero 300RUM

bingo

Well, when my dad and I went and handled all the guns, my dad fell in love with the Remington 700 Sendero, so I will be picking it up tomorrow from the gun dealer for my mom to give to him for his 60th bday! I guess there are advantages to turning 60 after all! I have to admit, I am pretty excited because I will get to use it at times as well. Now when I buy a gun of my own, it will be the 270WSM and then we really will have the best of both worlds. A heavy but flat long range shooter with tons of energy in the RUM, as well as a lighter weight flat shooter without the blast of the muzzle break that this Sendero will have.
Anyways, I want to get going on handloads for the gun. We are setting it up for long range shooting. I am looking for suggestions on a killer recipe handload.
What brand of brass?
What type of powder and how many grains?
What primer?
I plan on using 180 grain accubonds. Other thoughts?

Also, I already have PRW rings so I am thinking about using Leupold 2 piece Mark 4 bases with 15 moa elevation or 1 piece Farrell with 20 moa on that base. Suggestions here?
Thanks in advance. Ryan

Ryan, congrats on the rifle choice. And the future one. Since you are setting up the RUM for long range (how far?) I would suggest the 200 grain Accubond over the 180. BC is better, retained energy is greater, and gains from the 180 grain bullet are minimal as far as trajectory. In the 9 years I've loaded for my .300 RUM, I've used Remington brass exclusively. It's all I could get then, and it works now. Federal 215 primers religiously, but thats a personal choice. pm me and I'll give you more detailed load info as far as powder and OAL. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom