Dall Sheep horns & cape weight?

JRABQ

Going to Alaska next week, and if I'm lucky I'm considering bringing the horns and cape (shoulder mount) back in my checked baggage, rather than using a shipping service. I talked to some guys months ago that did this, but I forgot to ask them about the weight. Any thoughts on what those two items weigh for a typical sheep?

I brought mine back from Candada in a duffel bag. I just packed my dirty clothes and sleeping bag in with them. I would guess that the horns and cape weighed 16 to 18 lbs together. You do have to make sure you allow enough time to get the horns plugged.

I also brought mine back that way. Once it's salted, it's the only way to go. Don't ship it. Bonus is getting to take it out and look at it in the motel(s) on the way home.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just trying to figure out if I would end up paying an excess baggage weight charge when I add it to my gear.

JR

Make sure you check to see if your airline will allow you to bring back the cape and horns. Some of the regional airlines in Canada will not allow animal parts or salt. They seem to love the rediculous fares to deliver hunters but do nothing to accomadate them on the return trip.

Roger

Just got back from AK, wow what an experience! The horns alone were 17 lbs, cape another 5-6. Mailed a box of clothes/etc back to avoid excess baggage charges. I also managed to bring back ~45 lbs of meat in carry-on luggage.

4a8e292c3c5e9b5d.jpg

Beauty of a ram! Thanks for sharing. Please give us the details: outfitter, guide, mountain range you hunted.

Great looking ram. Nothing compares to the feeling of accomplishment after a successful sheep hunt. Congrats! How about a story and some more pics? I finally drew my desert tag this year and am counting the days to the opener. :D

went last year and brought it back on Alaska Airlines. They never said anything. Was about 25 lbs total and was part of checked in stuff. Best hunt I have ever experienced. Want to get back up there ASAP.

The outfitter was Litzen Guide Service, and guide was Jason Reinalda. You will get your money's worth with Litzen, he does a lot of preseason flying, and gets his hunters on game, sheep hunters went 6 for 6. Most hunters got rams in one or two days, I got mine on day 3, one guy hunted about 7 days. Most rams were in 36-38" with a couple just under that size (I think). They all looked like nice rams to me. We were in the Alaska range west of Denali, but Litzen asked us not to be more specific. My ram is 37-1/2 on right, and broomed on left, 34+, he was one of the heavier rams killed.

Here's a quick summary of the hunt.

This was my first trip to Alaska, and my first sheep hunt, it was a totally awesome experience (except for the traveling to get there and back). Also my first guided hunt. I prepared hard for this hunt, but did not to loose the weight I had hoped to. Bottom line, I hunted 3 days and it kicked my butt! First day we hunted a bowl fairly close to camp, it was a lot of climbing and crossing some rock slides, but total distance covered wasn't that great and I felt pretty good at the end of the day. Didn't see any sheep, one grizzly bear.

But day 2 we hiked about 10 miles to another spot, with a lot of climbing and descending, got back to camp at sunset (11 PM) and I was whooped. Saw some sheep that day, by maybe only one legal ram waaaay on other side of drainage. Saw another bear and a big moose.

When the alarm went off at 5 AM I told Jason my legs might need another couple more hours to recuperate (probably needed more like a day), so we sleep in till about 8:00. We hunted the closer bowl again and spotted 2 rams on other side. After some waiting we decided to go after them. Several hours later (after not being able to see what they were doing) we got to where we going to make our final approach. While preparing for the climb up a boulder field, the 2 rams (one only half curl) had finally got out of their bed and came into view at 430 yds, crossing in front of us. Killed him dead with one shot at 380 yds, wow that was exciting. Time was ~4 PM. After butchering and packing him up, we got out of the bowl and to the top of the saddle just at dark (11 PM), as the rain and clouds moved in. Back at camp half hour later.

Here is a photo where we bailed into the bowl. If you notice near the center you can see our trail.

4a8f25391f194cf8.jpg

Luckily we found a path out that was not quite that steep! And thank goodness Jason is an ANIMAL, he packed out 80-90% of the carcass, plus the horns and cape. I have no doubt his pack was 150 lbs or more, while I probably had less than 50.

It sounds like not being in "sheep shape" helped you find your ram LOL.
That is an awesome experience for sure. Hopefully some day it will happen for me. Thanks for sharing!

>would you mind posting the cost.
>That hunt looks fantastic
>

The website says $11k this year and $12k next year, which is about in line with most AK outfits.

I spent about $14K = $11 K + $1 K guide tip + $2 K airline-charter-hotel. I talked/cajoled/coerced the wife into giving me this trip for our 30th wedding anniversary, so she is not supposed to complain or bring up the cost. Well we will see how long that lasts.

It was expensive, but you only live once, I had a blast, no regrets. I normally spend about $3 K a year on hunting licenses & gear, so this was an exceptional deal for me.

Yep, not being in "sheep shape" was the ticket, funny how things work out sometimes. And "preparing for the final approach" actually meant I stopped to take a cr%@&*p! But I had enough experience (skill?) to take my rifle with me.

It sounds like that ram had your name on him for sure! I once had an elk about run right over me with my pants down. I finished the job quickly and put an arrow in him while he watched what I was doing. Pretty funny how things sometimes turn out! Sweet story!

Great ram and story!

I would definitely check out the website for the particular airline you are going and find out their policy in regard to rifles, ammo, wildlife meat/cape/antler regulations, and extra baggage. I just returned from a sheep hunt and was on Alaskaair. They charge so much for each bag. I booked my flight clear back in April before they started charging for each bag. Back then they allowed your first bag free. I ended up putting horns in a separate giant computer box w/a cooler and fish. I believe they charge for excess baggage if it weighs over 60 lbs?

With 1 bag free I paid $60 for my 3 bags. I carried on an overloaded Badlands 2200 plus a giant camera case (which both weighed about 40 lbs)!

One thing you may want to note is your rifle. Be sure to get to the airport several hours in advance to check in your luggage and get the proper rifle permit that you fill out and drop inside your case. I pad-locked my case at DIA after taking it through security. Once to the check-in I was called up to the front desk and they asked if they could cut my locks to do a random security check. I told them I had a key and they opened it up and returned the key to me.

On the return flight I only had 1 pad-lock on my case when I checked my rifle in Anchorage. The guy had me put the same rifle paperwork inside the case but made me buy a 2nd lock for the case? You may want to bring 2 locks for your rifle case when you check in your rifle? I also brought trigger locks just in case they needed that as well.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-09 AT 08:22PM (MST)[p]One tip I can pass on regarding luggage etc., two of the guys had their rifles in bow cases, which had a lot more room than a regular rifle case. That way they carried a lot of the heavier stuff (binocs, spotting scope, +++) in their rifle case and avoid overweight charges in their duffle bag or suitcase. I had the good-sized rifle case and a duffle bag, and only about 80-85 lbs of stuff, but since the rifle case only held about 30 (crammed full) my other bag was close to the 50 lb limit going to AK. And with the horns and cape it was over 50 coming home, which is why I mailed some clothes home. If I had a bow case I probably would have been OK. Delta was going to charge $90 if bag was 51-70 lbs, and a 3rd bag was $120 I think. Man they are really ripping you off on checked luggage now, so jims point is a good one.

One other hint regarding luggage. When I went on my goat hunt in AK last year, I came home with a box of meat, rifle case and a gear bag (3 total bags). When I was checking in with Alaska Air, I told the lady that I didn't think the bags were over 50# each. She said that since I was paying $100 for a third bag, it didn't matter what it weighed, because they only charge one fee or the other (extra bag or overweight fee, whichever is more).

Rules are changing constantly, so this may not be the case any more.

They didn't weigh my bags when I checked in w/AlaskaAir a couple weeks ago...I'm not sure if it was because I paid for 2 extras (had 3 total).

I have a super large rifle case with wheels on it. I gutted all the foam and overloaded it with all my hunting clothes plus a few other things that would protect my rifle. My final rifle case weight was 60 lbs (the case alone weighs 22 lbs). It was also nice to have duffle bags with 2 arm straps for hauling gear around...especially in the field. I actually put my Arcteryx backpack inside one of the duffles and loaded it up with 60 lbs of gear.

On the return home I had 3 x 60 lbs check in bags plus my 40 lb carry-on Badlands pack, plus a very large 15 lb carry on camera case. If you add all that up it comes to 235 lbs. I paid $60 extra for 2 extra bags. AlaskaAir has changed and now charges for every bag. I got a few crusty looks from the airline stewardess's when I walked on the plane but never got harassed and I made it so everything would fit in the overheads or under my seat!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom