Deadhead law?

Dawgs

Is there a new law about picking up deadheads? True? If anyone has info on this it'd be appreciated. I looked on ndow and couldn't find anything about it - a google search yielded nothing as well. Thanks. Leif T.

It is a gray area I have friends that went to the sheep endoctrination courses in elko and in vegas. In elko they said you can pick them up just report them and in vegas they said you were not allowed to pick them up. I am almost positive that there is no law against it it just depends on the warden that sees you with them and how they feel about it.

A freind of mine works for NDOW as a Warden,he told me that you can pick up dead heads as long as they are not in a State Park ,like Lake Mead or Red Rock Canyon.

I was at the sheep indoctrination class in Vegas this year. The warden there said that there was a law which said you can not pick up dead heads. He said not to touch them as they are now required to do an investigation into each dead head. He also said that once they determine the animal was not killed by anything involving man, poaching, roadkill, fences etc. the head would be released to whoever reported it.

As you can imagine there was a lot of discussion about this between the crowd and the warden.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-11 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]"as long as they are not in a State Park"

Or on the Desert National Wildlife Range which is why you might get that answer in Las Vegas.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-11 AT 06:20PM (MST)[p]Clear as mud. What? And if there is a new law might we be informed somehow? Shed season quickly approaches and I prefer to do this right - if it's been changed. Like I said, I checked the ndow website and googled nrs, deadheads, and law without finding anything.

I found this under the wildlife laws section on the Nevada Law Library

NRS 502.150 Unlawful possession of wildlife without attached tag; unlawful removal of tag.

1. Whenever tags are required for any species of wildlife, it is unlawful to have any of that species in possession without the tag attached thereto and such possession without an attached tag is prima facie evidence that the game is illegally taken and possessed.

2. It is unlawful to remove any tag from any wildlife for reuse or to be in possession of excess tags or used tags.

3. Whenever tags are required for any species of fur-bearing mammal, possession of a pelt of that species without the tag attached thereto is prima facie evidence that such pelt is illegally taken and possessed.

[Part 86:101:1947; A 1949, 292; 1951, 494; 1955, 242]?(NRS A 1969, 1354; 1991, 263)

Basically, if you pick up a dead head of an animal that requires a tag, then it is considered illegally taken.

Its my understanding the new regulation took effect June 1, 2010. When you find a dead head from any species of animal its location GPS preferred is to be reported to NDOW for an official investigation as to the cause of death. They will investigate, take photos and document the head and return it to you with paper work including photos to make a positive ID.

A buddy of mine found a nice muley buck kill while hunting mtn lions. he reported the find and location in the middle of nowhere. 3 days later NDOW showed up at his door with the paperwork certifing he could possess it and handed the head to him.

This whole thing stems from a few guys in AZ who seem to every spring find HUGE winter kill deer heads. Too suspisious that the same guys will find large deer year after year....the implication is they are being shot and left till the spring and then picked up. This is Nevadas way of trying to curtail that activity.

bp

Thanks, I reckon that'll work. Were they going to do a general notification to folks at some time? Yeah, we've all seen some nice springtime posts on here that makes a person wonder.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom