Dedicated Hunter Elk

I wish that they would. I don't think It would be an issue in the general season units.

I hope not! I have been in the DH program twice and I now think it is doing more harm than good. Too many hunters constantly pushing the deer around. By the time the rifle hunt rolls around, the deer have been pushed pretty hard or are already taken. I think it is messing up the overall quality of deer hunting in the state. Just my .02 worth.

I agree that the Dedicated deer program has hurt the quality of hunting in Utah particularly with bowhunting and to a lesser degree the muzz.
I certainly don't I think they ever will have a Dedicated elk program. If they do then the great elk hunting we now enjoy will diminish. I think Utah currently has wonderful elk hunting, limited, but within those limits the hunting is fantastic. When I say limited, I'm not talking Limited Entry per say but all inclusive with a few minor exceptions.
Keeping things the way they are with elk and eliminating the dedicated deer would suite me just fine.

I think it would be great!

Restrict it to the General any bull units,

no spike hunting and no antlerless cow application. Give the LE hunters a break on a bunch of goofballs calling in bulls just to film them and screwing up a guys LE hunt!

Maybe combine the Ded. Deer and Ded. Elk into one tag... like a Heritage Hunter and do 16 hours of work with in the Region of your tag/hunt choice....

Put the Wasatch Front as a seperate unit for both the deer and elk....

I would much rather be spending/keeping my hunting dollars in our state of Utah than every year spending in other states on non-res. tags just so I can hunt more often...

Robb

I agree with nut... I would like to see more elk hunting opportunity in UTAH. I would not change the Limited Entry system at all but let the guys that want to spend more time pursuing the elk in the spike and open bull areas get after it. I would much rather spend my time chasing the elk in Utah than spend the bucks to travel to another state.

If they really wanted to drop the pressure on the deer and include the elk in the DH program they should require everyone who gets an elk or deer tag to do some service hours. Now that would drastically decrease the amount of hunters in the field.
I can hear the bi#$hing from here. :eek:

It's always an adventure!!!

I think they have quite a few service hours involved now with the DH deer.

I see what your suggesting... once ya harvest you have 'additonal' hours to complete... thats a good thought...really.

It just seems that the Big Machine is always pushing 'Inches' and big money over opportunity and alot of us just like to hunt.....not be a one tag wonder with some 'inches' bull once drawn...

Keeping it only available on the General Any Bull units wouldn't interfere with the LE hunts that are alot of spike units...

I would much rather spend my money at a Utah bsns going and coming from an in state hunting trip than year in year out spending across some boarder in another state.

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom