Dedicated Hunter WARNING

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
Fellow hunters and sportsman, I feel that it is my duty to warn you about the Dedicated Hunter program in the state of Utah. First of all, let me give you a little bit of background on my volunteer efforts for the state of Utah. 7 years ago I signed up with the ?Communities Fishing Program?. For two years, I taught kids the basics of fishing and to enjoy the outdoors. For the last 5 years, I have served (volunteered) on the ?CWMU Advisory Committee?. Both of these volunteer services were great opportunities and I enjoyed my services. I enjoyed the programs so much that I decided the Dedicated Hunter program would be a great way to volunteer and also gain additional hunting benefits for my efforts. The first time I joined the program, I completed 10 additional hours (50) of the required 40 hours. This was not rolled over, but I was ok with that decision. Overall, the experience wasn?t bad. However, two years ago when I signed up for the program again things had changed. The projects were near impossible to find, and many of them required distant travel. The only projects I could find in Northern Utah were on Antelope Island, and this is where my story begins.

I have attached my story and the email I received back from the program coordinator Jodie Anderson:

?I found the project listed on the DWR website and I believe it consisted of fixing up the bison corral. I thought it might be fun to go out there and do some hours. I talked to ****** and worked out a time to come out (around 12:00). I took a half day of vacation at work (4 hours) and went out to the island. When I arrived at the booth before crossing over to the Island, I confirmed with the lady that I was meeting ****** at the Bison Corrals. I drove over to the Bison corrals and there were just a bunch of visitors. I waited for a while, and then decided to walk around and try to locate ******. I searched all over and finally found an employee who said that ****** was in a different area working on something else. I went up to the area he described and there was only one vehicle up there. I assumed it was ******, but could not find her. I walked all over trying to find someone and could not see anyone. I then waited in the car for quite a while and finally talked to the owner of the vehicle who finally returned. He told me that ****** had most likely left for the day. I gave up at that point and headed home. I was on the island from about 12:00-4:00 (4 hours).

The next day ****** called me and apologized that she was not able to meet up with me. I think she realized she had forgot to meet me at the agreed time and location. She said that we could meet up again the following week for another try. She gave me a few details for the next project and said to meet up with her again around noon If I remember correctly. However, she didn't give me all the details and I had no idea where to meet her. I tried to call a few different times the day of the project, but she didn't answer. I went out to the booth (on the island) and asked where I could find ****** and they acted like she wasn't even there that day. Not wanting to go on a wild goose chase again, I turned around and went back home.

I do not have any hard feelings about the issue, and I realize that there was just a bit of mis-communication. However, I took hours off of work and several hours in drive time and also searching and waiting time for this project. I think it would be fair for me to receive at least the hours that I actually gave in effort to complete the project as well as compensation for the hours I had to take off of work.

6 hours Vacation time from work (4 hours the first occasion and 2 hours the second)
4 hours Total time spent on the Island searching/waiting for ****** on two different occasions.

10 Total hours

Thank you for your consideration?

Jodie?s Response:

Hi,

I submitted your request to receive credit for the time you spent trying to find ****** on Antelope Island last year. After much discussion and a lot of thought, the Division Error Committee could not support your request. If you run into this situation again, please contact myself or the State Volunteer Services Coordinator as soon as possible, so we can get the issue resolved.

My email back to Jodie:

"Jodie,
As an avid supporter and volunteer for several wildlife functions in the state, I have to say I'm very disappointed in this decision. I have supported this program from day one, but like many others I now realize that this program is very one sided. Not awarding a volunteer any hours for spending time away from his family and job to support wildlife activities is a shame. Not only did I spend the time, I also took valuable vacation time off of work, and spent money out of my own pocket to help with these projects. The mistake of the division to not show up to the project at the agreed time and date should not fall upon the volunteers shoulders.

This experience has showed me how much the division cares for the general public and wildlife volunteers. I will never join this program again and I feel it may be necessary to warn all others in the program of the consequences that fall upon our shoulders when the DWR makes a mistake."

I'm not sure why I was punished for the actions of the DWR. I did everything I could to complete my hours and was not able to complete them. As a result, I have several hours left that I will not be able to complete this year. I will not be able to hunt, and I will have a penalty for next year for not completing the hours. I don't have money to fork out to buy hours. I feel like I was ripped off by the state and I just wanted to warn everyone interested in joining the program.

HJB

A few years ago they had my bro licking stamps! HJB I thought that was a good letter, not worth the hours anymore. I do wish they would do a dedicated elk tag, but they just want you $ not the hours.

sounds to me you had one bad experience and your basing everything off that. which is understandable. i have been in the program a while and have had nothing but good to say about it. ya its definitely more beneficial for the division, but allows us to hunt more. and as far as finding projects i have NEVER had an issue finding something to gain hours. in fact i am ahead and wont even need to do hours my last year. sorry you had a bad experience. i will enroll in the program again and keep supporting it.

"Shoot Straight"

This is terrible. Not sure how they can punish you the sportsman for their lack of professionalism in not meeting you those two separate times when they said they would.. How they cannot accept your hours or even try to work something out with you is a joke.

Dedicated hunter has became a joke but I still pay to play. All the state cares about is getting their money. They obviously don't care one bit about projects. This is my first year in ten years not being in the program (I applied but didn't draw). My first years in the program there were numerous projects in every region that I felt actually benefited wildlife. Now it seems the complete opposite. They want donated materials or just your hard earned money for your hours.

Back when I was in the program, getting the hours was joke. Their website didn't offer jack for projects. If you came up with your own, getting it approved was like pulling teeth.

The Ogden Nature Center saved me. They were pre-approved and were more than happy to put people to work for the day.

For those in Northern UT needing hours and are frustrated trying to find projects that benefit the wildlife you hunt; you should bag it and call the Ogden Nature Center.

just ask them if you can take proclamations to local walmarts for a few hours and get sighned off for the full 40. i know several people that have pulled that string! thats why i think the dedicated hunter program is a crock of #####!!! your hours are spent to help wildlife not to do bogus hours doing nothing. im glad i moved to wy. buy a deer tag at maverick, hunt 90% of the state and pay $10 to hunt for a month with a bow before gun season!
hornkiller.jpg

I've called the DWR SLC office and the project coordinators several times and was given the run around on projects for the last two months. I have yet to get a project under my belt. I would love to hunt but I feel they just want me to buy my hours instead of complete a project.

This program is a joke. Try finding hours that you do not have to drive for 8 hours to get to.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

I enjoyed participating in the program for two 3-year cycles but when the DWR increased the hour requirement I bailed. I agree that many of the "approved projects" seemed like a joke.

-Hawkeye-

You read my mind. I've been debating to post a story that's really similar, but I keep choosing not to. I have been calling for over two weeks to get signed up on a project and can't get through. I can talk to someone else in the office, but they refer me to the lady that's over the projects that it is impossible to get a hold of. On her answering machine it even says call this number if you need to talk to me becuase it's my personal cell and it's always with me. Yeah right! I have done projects for them for years and now it's nearly impossible. To top it off, I looked up my hours for last year and I never received any! I have the email to prove they were received and entered, but they never was! They told me the same thing that they might not except them now. WTF! You can say what you want about this program, but it has really went down hill and I don't understand why.

After reading the comments here something definitely needs to change, I just drew dedicated this year for the first time, and after reading posts like this totally makes me wish I never put in for the program in the first place. It honestly cant be that hard DWR.

I think everyone that's in the program should not renew in the program and those thinking about joining, don't do it.
That will show them.

There's always next year

I did 3 rounds (9 years in the program). It was fine at that time, but I bailed too when they up'ed the hours. I paid out my last 8 hours and was done with it all. I'd so much rather spend my time and money hunting out of state.

That really sucks how that turned worked out, and I agree that someone should have taken responsibility and tried to make things right for you.

However, I've never had a problem with the program or with finding projects to get my hours (I work my hours in rural places, so that might have something to do with it).

Do they want my money? I'm sure they do. But I want to hunt more! So, is the extra $75 or whatever over three years worth it to me? No doubt! I'll be reapplying next year!

The dedicated hunter program is a complete sham...

You should realize that Utah residents in the program are paying high non-residents prices for a below average product (low deer numbers in most general areas.). The total coast is $195 + (32 hours * $20) = $835 to kill two deer.

A non-resident deer tag in Wyoming is $325 + $30 Archery Permit = $355 * 2 = $710

I can pay $125 less for a higher quality experience in Wyoming.

When they increased the hours above 24, I quit the program and now spend my money hunting in Wyoming since it is cheaper and they have better quality deer herd.

I was just infomred that I will get 4 hours credited to my completed hours for the program. I'm glad this got cleared up. The program manager called me and apologized and was pretty professional about the whole thing. He offered me some other project to complete my hours. So it looks like I will get my permit after all.

This will still be my last time in the program.

I signed up the first year they had it and stayed in the program for several years. I had some very good projects which all benefited deer. The deer is where you get the benefit and I would like to see all of the project geared towards deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom