Deer Quotas... The CPW sucks!!!!

elks96

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON May-07-15 AT 09:33AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-07-15 AT 09:25?AM (MST)

Sorry just had to vent a little. I just looked over the deer tag quotas for the NW section of the state. In general I am not happy as the numbers again appear to profit driven and not quality driven.

Currently in the NW section we are approximately 35,000 deer lower than the objectives. Despite this, there are still over 7,000 antler less or either sex deer tags. They also increased the number of 4th season buck tags in the entire area etc. In units that have showed a little rebound they increased tags across the board. Not by just a couple but over a 100 in some units.

What little bit of quality we had going will now be off set by increased harvest. This is especially true in units 11 and 22.

Doubling the late season buck tags in 22 will really kick this unit in the teeth as it has struggled to get back some of its old quality.

I will add another issue that is coming up in unit 22. The county has decided to put up a wildlife fence along county road 5 that bisects the unit. While they are in stalling an underpass, this is really going to mess with one our states largest migratory deer herds. I am also concerned as the migration in this area happens while hunting seasons are active, potentially creating a big concern this first year as deer try and figure the fence out and are sitting ducks for hunters.

In most units there were modest increases in buck licenses offset by bigger cuts in doe tags. Also, don't forget quotas were severely cut in the years following the deadly 07/08 winter. They're estimating some population increases with the recent mild winters and starting to restore the buck quotas. We can't complain about point creep and then be disappointed about some tag increases.

As Cohntr pointed out, there were a few modest increases to buck licenses. We know that 4th season licenses were increased from 5 to 10 in many units to accommodate the new landowner voucher allocation.

Units below objective were cut to the minimum number of doe licenses allowed (because the hunt codes were already in the book and people applied for them) which is 10.

The units north of Hwy 40 (excluding 2 and 201) are above objective, and doe licenses were increased by 3 (637 to 640).

The units south of Hwy 40 are well below objective, and total doe licenses were cut from 615 to 70. Units 2, 201 and 10 have been below objective for some time, with zero doe hunting.

Noticed doe tags in 67 & 66 jumped, more so on 67 2nd. Ought to make for a wee bit more pressure around the heavy deer concentrations.

i too was excited to see the doe license cut on the Grand Mesa. have been needing that to happen for some time now!!! hopefully they do it for a couple years.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom