deer rifle for grandson

happytohunt

to re-hash an old topic what caliber would ye choose for a grandson's deer rifle...243.257 Roberts.260 Rem.25-06...any thoughts will be welcome...want something sufficient to drop a whitetail with minimsal kick...thanks

You cant go wrong with the 243! Heck I still shoot mine in CA for blacktails. With a good bullet they dont go far if anywhere.

222 remington in a remington model 700 bdl. Best gun i ever had and i killed mule deer with it from the age of 9 until I was 18. No recoil and won't ruin a kid with recoil. I can distincly remember being afraid of shooting my mothers 243 thinking it kicked the crap out of me.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

.243 on up... any caliber smaller than that is illegal in a lot of states for deer sized game and, IMO, just not enough gun for a non-expert marksmen.

I like the 6MM, 257 Roberts, 25-06, and 7mm-08. All will do the job and with lighter bullets, not a serious recoil problem.

Remember to start your son out right with a little shoulder padding and proper ear protection! :)

Joey

I bought my 11 year old grandson a rifle last Christmas and got him a 7 MM Rem Mag and some reduced recoil Remmington ammunition. Recoil probably isn't any worse than most of the others listed above and he can grow into it without me buying him another one. He can use this rifle the rest of his life and be adequately armed to hunt anything in North America with maybe the exception of the big bears.

30/30 win. in a marlin 336- that way you can put a scope on it if you wish to.

I would vote for a 25-06. I grew up shooting one. Perfect for deer and antelope, with minimal recoil.

The 7mm with reduced power rounds is a great idea also.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-10 AT 06:37AM (MST)[p]thanks for the responses..I am grateful to have a topic both pertinent and positive to ponder..again thanks...hth

7mm-08 would be a good round to consider as well. My nephew killed his first deer with it. A Remington Model 7 in that round would be a great starter rifle. Even better if you could find one in a Remington model 788.
WVBOWAK

Cool factor = 257 Roberts

If not reloading ammo and good selection = 243 or 7mm-08. If he wants to maybe try for something bigger like elk then I'd go for the 7mm-08 and he would be set for life. A Remington LSS Mtn rifle in 7mm-08 wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO.

I got my grandson a .257 Roberts in a Ruger Hawkeye. Sweet round and one can run pretty mild ammo or ramp up to some +P. He is a slight built kid but has not complained about recoil. It is a fully capable round for deer and antelope sized critters. Kimber just came out with an offering which is interesting.

Love the 243 for both deer and coyotes.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

They are all good choices,I like the 7mm-08, 260,and depending on the size of the kid 25-06.

Depends how big is your grandson? Any of the calibers will do but by far the rifle that has killed the most animals we own is a 243...a 25 06 is high on my list of wants...it will be my next gun or a 338 one the 2 then i think i am done with buying guns

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

All really good calibers and it is a tough choice. I personally like the 243 win to start with, then jump to the 270 win and finally the 338 win for elk.

That being said, I also like the 25.06 caliber alot and you can't go wrong with any of the other that you mentioned.

Unless he's a pygmy why not just start with a 270 and be done with it? a great round and the recoil is nothing any kid of hunting age can't handle.

.460 wby mag

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Mine has killed a pile of whitetails with his .308. Started shooting it at 7 yrs old.

7mm-08. Fun little gun. I don't think you would be dissapointed. It's known for being an accurate round. Plenty of knockdown power and it kicks like a 25-06.

I was actually pondering the same question until today for my son (8 year old, but won't hunt until we return to the US in 2012). I struck a great Uncle to Nephew deal with my Uncle for his T/C Encore pistol in .25-06. I plan to add stock, fore and barrel in .243 for his first hunting rifle... Then we can buy barrels for everything else...

DC

Another good thing abouot an Encore is that they make the Santam (youth) stock with a one inch shorter length of pull... Then, we he grows up, he can change the stock, but still have a youth one for his kids...

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom