Dems Contempt Claim Is Weak

Boskee

Long Time Member
Well it would appear our little liberal friends are at it again.... I guess the fear of being revealed has them grasping at straws....Seems the dems are spinning out of control.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Guy Benson Townhall

Left-leaning law professor Jonathan Turley -- who has stood out in recent years as a rare legal analyst unwilling to allow his political views to cloud his constitutional judgments -- has written an absolutely devastating column addressing House Democrats' efforts to hold Attorney General Bill Barr in contempt of Congress. Anti-Trump partisans have compiled a list of grievances against Barr, many of them specious, but House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler has chosen to focus the contempt charge on the Attorney General's unwillingness to release a tiny redacted fraction of the Mueller report. Turley says this is "the weakest possible contempt claim," warning that pursuing it will damage the House, not the administration. Here's the core of his argument on the redactions-based contempt complaint:

The problem is that the contempt action against Barr is long on action and short on contempt. Indeed, with a superficial charge, the House could seriously undermine its credibility in the ongoing conflicts with the White House...As someone who has represented the House of Representatives, my concern is that this one violates a legal version of the Hippocratic oath to ?first do no harm.? This could do great harm, not to Barr, but to the House.

It is the weakest possible case to bring against the administration, and likely to be an example of a bad case making bad law for the House...Barr promised to release as much of the report as possible, and he has delivered. Indeed, he is not expressly given the authority to release the confidential report. Yet, he not only released it but declared executive privilege waived on its content.

The key obstruction portion of the report is virtually unredacted. Just 8 percent of the public report was redacted, largely to remove material that could undermine ongoing investigations. The sealed version of the report given to Congress only had 2 percent redacted. Democrats are therefore seeking a contempt sanction on a report that is 98 percent disclosed and only lacks grand jury material.

Barr restricted access to the 98 percent disclosed report, as opposed to the 92 percent public report, due to the inclusion of evidence impacting ongoing prosecutions. He has offered to expand the number of members and staff to review that material but insists on it remaining protected. But this has nothing to do with the redactions.

It is the 2 percent solution to a major political dilemma of the left. Faced with a report that rejected the collusion theories of their running narrative, Democrats want to focus on those 2 percent of redactions rather than over 400 pages of findings. So Congress now will ask a court to find civil contempt for Barr refusing to release grand jury information.

The District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals recently rejected a district court claim to have the ?inherent supervisory authority? to disclose grand jury matters because of great public interest. To make matters worse, the Justice Department has now said the president has invoked executive privilege over the entire report, making this contempt claim even less likely to prevail over the long run.

Turley also recalls his own testimony before Congress during Barr's confirmation process, in which he stated that by asking Barr to preemptively pledge to release a completely unredacted version of the Mueller report, Democrats were literally asking the nominee to promise to violate the law: "As a witness, I testified that they were asking Barr to commit to a potential criminal act to secure his own confirmation.

The report inevitably would contain some grand jury material, which under the law is information that cannot be publicly released without a court order. It is a crime to unveil such information." As he mentions in a bolded portion of the excerpt above, a powerful federal court recently fortified the precedent that secret grand jury records cannot be made public simply as a means of satisfying significant public interest. Absent following a process dictated by existing law, revealing such information is illegal. House Democrats are seeking to hold America's chief law enforcement officer in contempt of Congress for declining to commit a crime. Bold strategy.

Again, Barr offered to expand the circle of members and staffers who have access to the 98 percent unredacted report, but that hasn't impressed the Democrats either. I'd also note that nobody appears to be making a serious case that the redactions are improper or corrupt or geared toward a "cover up" in any way.

Indeed, we know that Robert Mueller's team worked closely with the DOJ team on completing that task. The notion that they decided to bury some smoking gun evidence against the president via a bogus redaction is ludicrous -- especially considering how acutely sensitive Mueller and some of his associates seem to have been to any public perception that they were too soft on Trump. This very much looks like Nadler & Co wanted to hold Barr in contempt -- perhaps to satisfy the frustrated cravings of their base, which I've argued is a root cause of Barr Derangement -- so they decided to conjure up some justifications. They've tipped their hand:

"As of this writing, not one of the six Democrats granted access to what amounts to 99.9 percent of volume II of the Mueller report, which details the president's behavior as it relates to obstruction of justice, have taken the opportunity to examine it.

[Barr] has made available to top Democrats the entirety of volume II of the Mueller report, save for two full and seven partial lines, which were redacted to protect grand jury secrecy in keeping with federal law...As assistant attorney general William Boyd argued in a letter sent to House Judiciary Committee chairman Jerry Nadler on Monday, Democrats? refusal to examine the most transparent version of the report that Barr can legally make available, ?naturally raises questions about the sincerity of the committee?s interest in and purported need for the redacted material.?

Democrats' risible party line response has been to claim that if those members who've been granted access to the less-redacted version of Mueller's report actually took advantage of that access, it would undermine the party's demands for even more access. Good luck selling that spin.

Turley's op/ed also points out how "curious" it is that in spite of their thunderous denunciations of Barr's alleged "lies" to Congress and his outrageous refusal to face questions from Nadler's panel, neither of those seemingly serious accusations were cited as legal underpinnings for the contempt citation. Why not? Because, he writes, "House Democrats know both claims would not withstand even a cursory judicial review."

Click through and read his detailed explanations on both issues. The Cliffs Notes version is as follows: Barr's letter to Congress was accurate, he didn't lie to Congress, and he sparred with a Senate committee for hours, only refusing to appear at a hearing in which Democrats insisted on outsourcing their questioning for no defensible reason. "Democrats wanted to manufacture a conflict, and they have succeeded in doing so," Turley correctly concludes. I'll leave you with more damaging hyperbole from the unserious Mr. Nadler:

?We?ve talked for a long time about approaching a constitutional crisis. We are now in it,? House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler said moments after the committee voted to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt https://cnn.it/2VqYKvm

Pelosi agrees with him. But there is no such crisis; still -- if, for the sake of argument, one were to accept the premise that a crisis does exist, re-read Turley's full piece and decide who is responsible for precipitating it. Also, ask yourself why, if they truly believe their own rhetoric, Democratic leadership is still so allergic to moving forward with impeachment. Could it be that they're fearful of a self-inflicted political crisis, which would be far more grave than intoning about an ostensible constitutional one?

I don't know what the standard is for impeachment of a President, but orange hair and Hillary lost probably won't stand the test.

It's blatantly clear 2020 Democrats are running on "we hate Trump and stuff". They should put it on a campaign button.

seriously....keep your powder dry boys.....this is gonna get ugly....the Left is insane

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yeah, it is going to get real ugly. The Dems are desperate like they have never been before. They are fearful of losing the white House in 2020 and are fearful they will loose their majority in the House.
I look for them to pull every dirty stunt they can hope to get away with. They are even now fighting among their own ranks with Pelosi wanting to go the moderate route in order to keep from loosing seats in congress and the ultra left liberals fighting to maintain their status quo in the Dem party.
I hope they eat each other alive as they deserve it for their attempted coup on the last election.

RELH

>seriously....keep your powder dry boys.....this is
>gonna get ugly....the Left is
>insane
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

You got that right !

you guys are right. If they tried to frame a sitting president that doesn't leave too much off the table....

Time for me to pop in and you right wingers all call me names. LOL. But I don't care because your opinion means nothing to me.

When you say it's going to get ugly, you are right. Most of the nut jobs are on tRUMPS side and when it gets nasty, they'll come out shooting. If the Mueller report is complete exoneration and no collusion, then LETS ALL SEE IT! What was released showed many items where the fat orange comb over obstructed justice. HE SEEMS TO THINK HE IS ABOVE THE LAW and he is not. I love how L Graham and M McConnel have totally turned turkey, gobbling up trumps load and became yes men. Love the Graham video from 99 on obstruction but today he's 180. Totally pathetic people. How them farmers doing with rumpholes tariffs? Going broke and bankrupt. Although the tariffs we pay will give them a third bailout... free money. Just like welfare. Who is going to pay more for all those tariffs "chumps" (that's for Ohco), you are cuz it's a tax on all of us. Oh, and you GOPers who are all fiscally responsible? How's the national deficit going? Trump will bankrupt the country just like his businesses. How can he be a business genius and filed bankruptcy six times and loss over a billion $$? Freakin' genius. LOSER. How about the holy rollers - you care about eliminating Planned Parenthood/unborn babies and abortion but you let THOUSANDS of kids die in school shootings and do absolutely nothing. Why do I have to live by your beliefs? Hope the next one doesn't get any of your grandkids. Pull your heads out of your arse. You beotch about people on welfare but don't want birth control. You all going to adopt some of these kids and raise them? I've hunted all my life and never had anyone take my guns away. The NRA has brainwashed you nutjobs into thinking you'll lose your guns. Ain't lost one yet. How about some common sense gun laws? How many of you are felons and owns guns? My guess would be lots. Trump lies EVERY DAY. This tweets are evidence. Love this guy last year, worthless today. He has no morals, honesty or integrity. So many indicted "employees" of his, you say they were railroaded.... pull your head out fellas - THEY PLEAD GUILTY. Oh and how many of you are racists or white supremists? tRUMP has made it acceptable to treat immigrants and people of various colors like trash. They are human beings just like you and me. This country was started by immigrants. Hell, he married one. BE BEST. Hell, she doesn't even speak good English. How about you FOXNEWS people. Let me ask you why is there only one news network that makes chit up for its base and so many others that report news. THink about that. You can't hear that crap anywhere else. WHY? They're the only place. LOL
Blast me all you want, I don't even give a rats azz. Just think about this stuff I mentioned. I've said my peace, now I too am going to have a crown and coke. Right on Och!
Have a good day fellas. I can't wait until my CO elk hunt this November.
Cheese

You need to understand that your opinion is nothing but a pile of manure coming from a bent wrist left wing liberal that is too stupid to get out of the storm.

RELH

cheese, just another sad attempt to try and explain your radical left wing beliefs.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Just as I expected. All you guys can do is what tRUMP does. Bully. Call people names and attack them. Not one of you commented directly to any statement I made.

LAST EDITED ON May-15-19 AT 07:48AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-15-19 AT 07:47?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-15-19 AT 07:47?AM (MST)

>Just as I expected. All
>you guys can do is
>what tRUMP does. Bully.
>Call people names and attack
>them. Not one of
>you commented directly to any
>statement I made.

Complains about name calling but in his posts calls Trumps supporters or Trump names a minimum of ten times and don't give us that "I don't give a rat's azz"BS. If you didn't care you wouldn't have posted up the mini manifesto in the first place.

LAST EDITED ON May-15-19 AT 11:49AM (MST)[p]Well think about it. The Democrats have bet the farm on the Russian Collusion story and it totally fizzled on them. Nothing to see here folks! Remember that black guy who was an Obama guy for a while who said way back in Spring 2017 that this was "a big fat nothin burger?" They have wasted their time. They have accomplished nothing. But in the meantime, Trump HAS been accomplishing things. When the 2020 election cycle comes around for Trump he isn't going to be talking about dreams of his father or dreams of any kind, he is going to be talking about what he did and what the Democrats did not do. it is going to hard to beat that with "we hate Donald! He talks naughty! He doesn't use the language protocols we want him to use!"

You can't count on much you hear in the news media. Additionally, just because you don't hear it in the media doesn't mean it didn't happen. What I would be interested in knowing is how Trump has or has not effected the economy and jobs in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Remember Trump won those states because he campaigned hard there while Hillary neglected them, probably assuming the union bosses would coerce the union rank and file to vote Democrat in lockstep. Trump peeled off some but not all of those union votes. I bet all the union rank and file liked what Trump had to say, but many would have doubted Trump would deliver on his promises. IF Trump did in fact deliver, I would expect a big proportion of those doubting union workers would go Trump in 2020, and make those states even more solidly Trump.

How do fight against these kinds of things? Usually Democrats win by telling their special interest groups how to vote and those special interest groups comply. But are they going to keep complying? Blacks are supposed to vote Democrat. But Black unemployment is supposed to be way down. People are saying Democrats don't give a damn about Blacks and just push their buttons to get their vote without actually delivering any benefits to them. Same story with Hispanics.

If I were a Democrat I would be worried. They can't win in a stand up fight with Trump, they will lose that fight. THEY HAVE TO use some cheat or subterfuge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom