Desperate Search Intensifies for Missing Hunters Stranded in Arizona

Craig

Very Active Member
Hope everything turns out good.

Desperate Search Intensifies for Missing Hunters Stranded in Arizona After Storm
Thursday, December 10, 2009

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. ? Authorities are fanning out across Northern Arizona to try to reach 25 to 30 hunters stranded in below-freezing temperatures after a major winter storm.

The Coconino County sheriff's office says the hunters were trapped by the 2 to 3 feet of snow that fell Monday.

Searchers from the sheriff's office, state Game and Fish Department, and Department of Public Safety are heading to the area Thursday.

Sheriff's spokesman Jim Driscol says they're checking known camps where the elk hunters may be based.

Driscol says no injuries were reported when officials reached some of the hunters by cell phone.

He says the priority will be to retrieve hunters who may be low on food and heating fuel, and to get to them before the next storm system hits, possibly this weekend.

Damn, I saw this on the news this morning.
I put in for that late hunt this year,sure glad we didn't draw those tags.
HH

Here is an article from today's Flagstaff paper. It has more details. The hunters were on the late rifle cow elk hunt. This is the last hunt of the year in the mountains above the rim.

http://azdailysun.com/articles/2009/12/10/news/20091210_front_208967.txt

InnerBasinPano2-copy.jpg

Prayers are out for there safe return home. Im thinking most if not all of them will be well prepared. Running short on food I hope wont be an issue.

GBA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom