Digiscopers!

SHEDYGAGA

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-13 AT 07:00PM (MST)[p]Isn't it about time for a real discussion about digiscoping?

Ever notice how we are getting our butt kicked, in the quality department, by the birders?
Heck, I became a birder just to learn from them.

The hunting world seems to focus on "what adapter is the best?"
and "what scope should I buy?".

I don't care if you want to use your phone, your point and shoot or your DSLR.

It doesn't matter if you want to use the tines up adapter or the phoneskope adapter or a friggin tide bottle cap with a hole cut in it! (that does work by the way) Tide bottle caps fit the swarovski, kowa, vortex eyepieces. All you need is a little velcro.

Back to the point.
Your scope is your scope. Quit worrying about it, just use it.

The adapter doesn't matter. They all work if they get the camera in front of the scope.

Isn't A BETTER PICTURE the only thing that all of us want?

Its just tragic that we get stuff like this.....

9649img_4358-1.jpg

There are people out there getting results sooooooo much better.

If you never have, go look at the Swarovki Digiscoper of the year contest.

This year they have 3 categories, reptiles, mammals, and birds.

You know who is going to win the reptile and mammal categories?

A birder.

Obviously our equipment is capable of much more than we are getting out of it. Just look at those pictures.

I have only been digiscoping for a few months now. But I am getting some decent results.

I have learned a ton on the birding forums.
The problem is, none of those guys are perfecting the techniques on big game animals.

I don't know of anyone who is working hard on getting the best results out of "long range" digiscoping.

I think the only way for it to make its way to this forum and others in the big game world, is to have a group of guys who figure it out and get awesome results out of it.

I have had several prints made in the last few months.
I have had digiscoped images printed at 200 DPI on a 20" X 30" photo paper. They are crystal clear, High definition when you stand 2 feet from them. No grainy look, no fuzzy areas.

If you are serious about digiscoping, and want to improve your quality, or can help me improve my quality, send me a pm, get a hold of me. Lets get together, like the birders do, and learn from each other.

I don't care if you digiscope a friggin muskrat today and a bull elk tomorrow, lets talk.

Part of the problem is the birders get together and go do this.
None of us are going to offer up our deer hole to a hoard of tripod wielding, nutbags.
But at least we can share techniques and tips.

What am I talking about?

Stuff like this. I will put one out there for you to chew on.

The first thing a future digiscoper thinks is, I have a spotting scope, I have this camera. All I need is the adapter and I am set.

The second thing that happens to a digiscoper is, he struggles to get good focus.

Having two focus mechanisms that don't work together is the nightmare.

But, did you know why its such a pain in the A#$?

#1, your eye is flawed. Even if its 20/20 vision, its gonna have some imperfection.

#2, your eye is different from my eye.

But did you ever think about how different your eye is from your camera lens?

Have you ever thought about the difference between a camera sensor and your eye?

It makes a difference. And it causes us to struggle with getting razor sharp focus.
Want an example?

I looked through my spotting scope, and I focused this flower to my eye. It was in perfect, clear, sharp focus.

Then I slipped my camera onto my spotting scope and took the picture.

(it is important to note that my camera lens has no focus feature. Its a pancake lens, its always in focus)

This is the picture it took.
4630img_6136.jpg

So, why is it so out of focus?
Because "IN FOCUS" to my eye is not "IN FOCUS" to the camera lens.

If your eye is even more different from the camera lens than my eye, you may be even more out of focus.

Now, trying to get your cameras auto focus to get focused on the image in the spotting scopes eye piece,(that is out of focus to the camera)is going to be tough.

Lots of tweaking. Maybe the end result is you cant ever get really crisp focus.

This can be fixed if you understand why it is happening and how to fix it.
3499img_6137.jpg

Your eye is made up of lots of curved surfaces.
Your spotting scope is made to me looked through with the curved surfaces of the eye.

Your cameras sensor is flat. Camera lenses are made to work with flat sensors.

There are tricks and tips out there.

If you care, lets talk.
Lets get rid of blown out highlights, washed out colors, and all the crap that is in our pictures.

Have a nice, digiscoped picture of that buck you shoot this fall. One that is good enough to hang on the wall next to the mount.

If you are a guide service, wouldn't that be nice to provide to your clients?

Im interested!! I have the tines up camera and adapter shooting through a skyline ED and would love to get better pictures!!

Thanks for this post. As usual I know I will draw heat for this but phone cameras are garbage. If you want pictures of teenage girls at a party they work fine. If you want to photograph beautiful things with precision and clarity USE A REAL CAMERA with variable settings, focus, and zoom. I just had a photo shoot here and me and my photographer were discussing how the camera phone had "dumbed" down the consuming public. I am sure the gentleman that posted this in the beginning knows much more than I do about photography but if quality is what you want its time we start spending money on quality glass in the camera also.

westerndigiscopers.blogspot.com

Its brand new, there is not a lot there. Yet.

I am no expert. Like I said, I have only been digiscoping since the end of march.

I am looking to learn from everyone else as well.

I took some real crap video this morning. I had everything all wrong on the camera.
It should have been lots better.

I got home and looked up the distance on using google earth, the video was 1300 yards and they were going further away.

I believe I know what I should have done to get the quality up. I was just in too big a hurry to make sure I was set up properly.

The other thing is, I have not ventured into the point and shoot world, or the phone digiscoping world.
I am looking to learn about that end of it from others.

I know there has got to be some guys on here that are better at this than I am.

Sheddy,

If your not using a point-n-shoot or a phone then what are you using?

What does your set-up look like? Is it a DSLR with a fixed 50mm?

I have been trying to get good quality photos through my spotter for a couple years now and I can't seem to get it nailed.

I have no problem with getting good video, but pics are a whole different story.

Seems like I get lucky every now and then but mostly not.

I have Swaro glass and the Tines-up adapter and camera kit.

I have been researching this as well and you are absolutely right. There really isn't a good resource out there for the Hunter that want's to Digiscope.

What I have learned is that in order to be able to take high qualty pics through a scope, and to Tri-State's point, you really need to be using your scope as a large lense on a DSLR. In order to do this you need some special equipment (adapter and lens) that was too much for my taste.

I have moved away from Digiscoping, except for hunting and scouting purposes, and decided to spend my money on high end glass for my DSLR.

Sure, I have to get closer, but that is the only way, in my un-educated opinion, to get sharp high end pics like many you see on the front page of this site.

That being said, I would love to chat and see what you can learn me. Maybe there is hope for the Digiscoper, but from my experience you really have to want it and you need to spend some coin.

I did see that Nikon makes a spotting scope that can attach right to the front of their DSLR, but it is very spendy and I am still not sure you would get the same qualty pics as you would through let's say a 500mm or 600mm prime lens. But then again, who can afford one of those either. :)

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Great topic. Just yesterday I was looking at the Swaro TLS APO attachment for my scope. As far as I can tell, it is the best way to attach a DSLR to a scope. I would love to hear a more affordable option though if it is out there.

Also, most guys don't know that the TLS APO has a version especially made for ATS/ATM series scopes. Even the guys working at Sportsman's Warehouse said it was only for the ATX version.

Western Hunter has a pretty good write-up on them this month. A high-end lens for your camera is better than a spotting scope and a DSLR, but both are substantially better than a phone camera. It's not about megapixels, its about sensor performance.

I love the thread, its something I'd really like to get into. Teach me more.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

Grizzly, I have played around with the DSLR lens through the scope.
I have tried a 28mm wide angle lens, a 50mm macro lens, and an 18mm standard lens.

The easiest way to attach them is with an adapter that is made to fit the filter threads on the front of the lens.

The problem is a universal style adapter that fits all the different filter threads and the different scope eye pieces.

The other thing that is "less fortunate" is the addition of the second focus that you have to deal with.

The TLS APO is not cheap. But it is easier.

You are correct. The TLS APO will fit the STS and ATS scopes. The TLS APO is the same, its the sleeve that goes on under the eye piece that is different. So, when ordering, you need to to get the one that comes with the adapter your your specific scope type.

I will try and hunt down some picture examples of some adapters that will work with the DSLR cameras.

These adapters work with a DSLR.

canon-dslr-adapter.png

The thing you need to be aware of, they do not have a camera lens in them.

You will remove the lens on your camera body. You attach this adapter, and that is it.

Its the cheapest way to use a DSLR on your scope.

Is it perfect? I don't think so. It connects via a polymer compression ring. There is potential for the camera to come loose from the scope eye piece.

There is no camera lens. So, that means that either your internal sensor is exposed to the elements when the adapter is on, or there may be a piece of clear glass in the adapter that protects the camera internals from dust and grit.

You would have to ask them. I have never seen one in person.
But, they do work. I have talked to guys who are using things like this.

There is no focus mechanism on them, you focus the scope and that is it.

They don't have a lot of adjustment range, but if you are willing to sacrifice quality for cost savings, it might be an option.

This is a link to the site.
http://www.hunting-night-vision.com/universal-digiscope-adaper-iphone-nikon-cannon-cameras.htm

SHEDYGAGA, thanks for the new adapter info. I have never seen that style. I'll look into it, but I am worried about having exposed internals/mirror if that is the case... especially in the places and conditions that we are often filming animals.

I was playing with my friend's ATX today. I am considering selling my ATM and getting the ATX, which may affect my adapter choice.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom