digiscoping

co79z

I currently have a Nikon D80 camera and will be buying the nikon ed50 spotting scope in the very near future. i am sure this is not the "ideal" scope for digiscoping, but i am getting it for backpacking and would like to take some decent photos with it. What is the best adapter to use and what is the best camera lense to use? I currently have a fixed 50 with the camera that i beleive is a 1.8. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I by no means know for sure what I am talking about, but I have researched this very subject some and may be able to save you a little time.

I have a Nikon D5000 and wanted to turn my Swarovski into a lense.

My research showed me a couple of options: 1) with your fixed lense you should be able to by a T-Adapter (google it) and you can attach your camera directly to your scope 2) you can by various other adapters that attach the camera to the scope but they tend to be pricey and a T-Adapter is only like 20 bucks or so.

I chose the secondary adapter as the expense for me would be to get the fixed power lense.

Hope this helps!

Please let me know what you find as I am always wanting to find out more information.

You will never get any lens on that D80 to work for digiscoping IMHO. Digiscoping requires a significantly smaller sensor and lens diameter to work efficiently. I have a Canon G9, T2i and a Panasonic TM700 video camera.

The T2i is not capible of seeing anything out of a spotting scope. The zoom is not far enough on any lens short of a 200mm to see past the "tube" of the spotting scope.

The G9 gets a ring about 1/3rd the size of the frame when zoomed all the way into 6x. It allows you to see the image, but is not very good.

The TM700 needs about 14x zoom to get past the tube and is prettg good when the critters are out about 3/4 of a mile away.

If you want to get good images of critters through your scope you'll need something with 7x zoom and a relatively tiny sensor and lens.

My next purchase will be a Sony WX5 as it does 12megapixel stills and 1080i video but is small enough to capture through the spotter at 1/3 mile out to a mile or so incredibly.

Take a look at www ##### dot com's Point and Shoot Scope)cam setup. It's prefect blend of size quality and ease of use for digiscoping.

I know, we all want to have that incredible image quality we could get from the high end digital slr's, but you'd need a scope the size of the hubble space telescope to get it to work :)

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom