Dirty tricks

carbonnation

Friend of mine had a pretty diry trick pulled on them on the Fish Lake LE Elk hunt couple of years ago. They had been watching a nice bull for a week or so. Night before the opener, they had him spotted at last light. As they were leaving they noticed another group of hunters watching them. They got up before light the next morning and only made it 1/2 mile down the road before both 4 wheelers and there truck all had four flat tires. Come to find out that someone had come in the night and spread roofing nails all along the road in front of there camp and another elk camp just around the corner. They worked all day to get the tires fixed. They got to there hunting area just in time to see the other group packing the bull out. Bull green scored over 400.

Let's hear some of the dirty tricks others have had played on them. I know they happen every year hear in Utopia.

I just want to be friends.:)

Sounds like something that would only happen in Utah...

There's something wrong with someone who wants to kill something so bad they would vandalize anything.

I had a guy steal a stone-dead elk from me near Anvintaquin the first year I hunted (I was 13). Not really a trick, but dirty nonetheless.

My friend, I do NOT consider the afforementiond incident, a "dirty trick". Toilet papering someones house on Halloween is a "dirty trick".

This story is vandalism... costly and also could have been very dangerous. There is nothing funny about it.

I am personnally a VERY vindictive person and had I even the slightest notion that the other hunters had done this deed, there would have been a lynching. Maybe after the gunfight, whatever.

You beat me to a hunting location....shame on me, I should have got up earlier.

You destroy my property or cost me money in any way not my fault.....then I am going to hunt you down and get my money back, plus interest.

About 3 years ago I was hunting the Beaver unit in Utah. Now being from California and all, we know better than to buy beer in Utah, so there being 6 of us in camp, we typically have a lot of beer. One particular night, after sitting around the campfire having a few, we decided to fill the ice chest up with beer so they would be cold the next day, and then we went to bed. When we woke up the next day, the ice chest, that was sitting in the back of the truck, was gone. Now we know that there is a lot of the locals over there that just can't stand people from out of state, even though we pay one hell of a lot more for our tags, and being that it was California beer, we almost instantly knew that it was a tard that had done it. So pretty bummed out of course, we went about our hunts that day, and it just so happened that my buddy's blind was located up a ridge above a campsite a few hundred yards from ours. Well he got to looking, and lo and behold in their campsite behind one of their tents was his ice chest. So he high tailed it back to camp to gather up some back up and we went in for the confrontation. Now these lame asses knew they were busted and started making excuses that the guy who had stolen it left camp and that they did not know he had stolen it. We left their camp with the promise that when the guy got back, he would come to our camp and apologize and buy some more beer. I thought rather than fight it out, and take the chance that the local law enforcement would hate Californians also that this was fair enough. Well needless to say, the queer never showed up, and so the night before we were leaving, myself and my buddy snuck over to their camp at about 2:00 a.m. and pissed all over their camp chairs and ice chests. The next day we rolled out and passed their camp and just waved with big old smiles on our faces.

Piper, how's your period?

You should have sh!t on it too!! Maybe you couldve taken something of theirs for collateral so the puss wouldve had to show up and apologize.

Steve

Oh Man... You can patch an ATV tire pretty quick. The guy whos horse steps on a roofing nail is screwed and I'm sure would treat the "trickster" harsher than the atv guys.

-DallanC

I have to agree with Nickman and Dallan, guys putting nails in the road are not playing a dirty trick they're commiting vandalism. If I caught them doing that to me, payback would definitely be a b*tch.

Why is it that people have to harm others who are out there trying to enjoy their hunt just like the perps are? We're all out there trying to have a great hunt, and some idiots have to ruin it for others. Makes no sense at all.

I have had people do some pretty dirty things but nails thats just the puss way of saying I am a bad hunter and can't do this in a fair game situation. We have had the air let out of tires not damaged just inconvient. we have also had stands that have had verious smelly objects left around them. Now I know some of this sounds like antis and some of the tree stands might have been. but I know a few are other hunters and the tires were another hunter. It just makes me sick that these idiots can't handle haveing other hunters on public land. If you can't deal with other hunters then spend the $$$ and go private. Don't ruin someone elses hunt because you are incompitant.
Good Luck and Great Memories

Nick,

Funny you mention you had your first elk stolen from you on the Avintiquinn. So did I!!!! A spike I couldn't have been more proud of by some fat ass.

I also had my first archery buck taken from a big, fat lard ass around Mockingbird Hill, near Strawberry Reservoir, back 15 yrs ago. I believe I was 15. A really, really nice big three point. I shot it high in the back with my first compound. After 15 minutes, my friend, who was just as excited as I was, and I followed the blood trail with no difficulty. It must of hit an artery because there was blood spattered high on the aspens on both sides of the trail. I was disgusted to see a guy, kneeling over my deer carving out his tag. He told me he shot a 95 pound bow and he was the one that killed it. I stood there in disgust, feeling helpless.

My friend, bless his heart, told me he would pull back his Browning and threaten the guy since there was two of us and one of him. I asked the guy if I could at least take a picture of me with the buck. He barked back "No, don't touch the velvet...it's going on the wall!" It almost ruined me to hunting. I was soooo upset. I told him, "I hope you remember who shot that buck everytime you look at it" and walked a way. I killed a spike the next week.
I hope Mr. Fat ass is sitting in front of his computer reading this, so he can always remember what a nice guy he was to a couple of kids that Utah opening morning on Mockingbird Hill.

Sorry about the venting, I just dug way deep into some bad memories!

3B-
Your story at Stawberry reminds ME of an incident me and my wife at the time had up in Strawberry about ten years ago.

She shoots a nice little 3x3 right in the throat at 70 yds with her 25-06, open him up like a tuna can but didn't tip him over.

Some other dude up on the hill started shooting at the buck because the buck was still standing.
He hit it in the ass and it went down.

We walked up to it (i was only 70 yds from it) and my wife was excited about HER first deer and i was proud of her too.

Well, when that "schmuck" finally got down to us he got out his knife and started carving up "his deer".

I won't finish the story because last time i told this story about what i told this schmuck, i got crucified by MMers.

I'll just end by saying i hope he had a good time dragging that deer up hill and that he enjoyed those shot up hind quarters.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-08 AT 06:35PM (MST)[p]Ok nmelk, but this is for YOUR eyes only, i can't take a beating like that ever again!! Lol

The dude had his daughter with him and told us he only had one day to hunt and really wanted his daughter to see him be successful.

I pleaded MY case as this was MY wifes first deer!
Well just before i was hitting my boiling point, we agreed on a coin toss.
Needless to say, we lost the toss.

Here's where i got in trouble by readers her on MM.

As i picked up our gear, i looked at his liitle girl and said to her "I hope you will be proud of your daddy for stealing a deer away from a woman".

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

T-final and Hdude where going "hunting" and I put habenero powder in their tub of analease.

---------------------------------------
"I needed a cheesy signature saying like everyone else"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-08 AT 06:44PM (MST)[p]"I thought rather than fight it out, and take the chance that the local law enforcement would hate Californians also that this was fair enough. Well needless to say, the queer never showed up, and so the night before we were leaving, myself and my buddy snuck over to their camp at about 2:00 a.m. and pissed all over their camp chairs and ice chests. The next day we rolled out and passed their camp and just waved with big old smiles on our faces"

Just goes to show their are pricks in every state but Kali I guess.

Hope you and your BONG buddies had enough of Utah CAforkedhorn or what ever your name is.

RUS

Thanks nmelk :)

I guess what bothered SOME readers was that i involved the innocent girl.
But my intension was, and i hope it worked, was that i hope that incident will stick out in her mind when and if SHE ever hunts again.
Her father obviously wasn't going to teach the the right thing to do, but i sure hope she remembers me or at least the sad and disappointed look on my wifes face.
That girl knew who shot that deer first with an EXTREMELY lethal shot, it was going to tip over any second with both juggulars and it's windpipe gone.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

i dont post much but had to chime in on this one......... slam, that is one of the best stories i've heard, i bet her dad felt like a pile of *&^% !! good for you

yes true, true only something that would happen in Utah!
lets just say if i was to run into the guy that did it, while they were packing it out they wouldn't be breathing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey,hey,hey bow hunt everyday!

+1 for slam. That's one of the reasons why I try to get as far away from people as possible. When you're 4-5 miles in the back country you can eliminate some pieces of crap, 'cause that's what that guy is.

last year I had a 18 inch 3x4 walk into 30 yards and turn broadside and look up the hill the other way. drew back and put an arrow right through the heart he took off. I sat there about 15 minutes and at a sandwich started on the blood trail. followed it about 50 yards around the edge of the hill and saw 2 older men standing over my deer. I walked up and said hey your cleaning my deer thanks man.
He looked at me with a fire in his eye. your deer? Ya see this blood trail.. the one I followed around the hill.. Then he said No he came and layed down in front of me and I shot him in the neck, He was acting kinda sick. I said Ya no sh*t its cause I just shot him.
Long story short I let him have it. He still wanted it after seeing the hole through the heart and he so happend to miss the big blood spot just behind both shoulders.

Guess where..... Strawberry.....

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-08 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]RUS said;
"Just goes to show their are pricks in every state but Kali I guess."
"Hope you and your BONG buddies had enough of Utah CAforkedhorn or what ever your name is."

Typical UTARD statement! I know that there are nice normal people living in Utah which i believe is still of the United States of America, but comments like the one from RUS here and the actions from many of the UTARDS that i've come across in the field while hunting there, completely put me off that State.

RUDE is not quite the word bad enough to describe the way some locals treat out of state hunters. It's too bad that the voice and actions of a few spoil the impression one gets of a whole state. Note also that some Tards are now also acting like Colo and Wyoming is their own private domain as well.

Keep Your state RUS! Hope you feel good about it!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-08 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]Rus;
Just wondering about your post. Are you siding with a bunch of Utah thieves?

RELH

Now calm down guys:)

This is EXACTLY the reason I bust my a$$ to pack miles off the road to find some solitude. The guy that packs a case of roofing nails on his back to where I hunt is one tough SOB....

Not siding with anyone that steals or vandalizes someone elses stuff. I just don't think this kind of behavior is exclusive to Utah. By the way it takes a lot of courage to sneak into someone's camp and piss all over their gear. I guess that isn't vandalism. As far as tension between the locals and out of staters goes, based on what I've seen over the years any tension is usually between jerks on both sides of the fence.

RUS

Joey,

I'd venture to guess your from Colo or Wyo judging by your post? You sound like that same bitter local that is mad about people from Utah hunting in your state. I love it when the pot calls the kettle black. Once again I see that this isn't a unique problem for just Utah. There are locals like this in every state.

I'm gonna venture a guess that the POS that stole the cooler, would have taken any cooler reguardless of what state the hunters were from.Or what brand of beer it was. A thief is a thief. And by pissing on their gear, the thieves start bad mouthing that states hunters, to their friends, and forget to mention why their chit got piss all over it.

Everyone should treat the other guys like hunters, not out of state this and out of state that......If it weren't for the out of staters (and i dont care what state your from) the in state prices for tags would be incredible. The Division isn't gonna NOT get their money.
Like it or not we all need the out of state guys

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

"just my opinion."

Good post tageater,

I posted about this before but here it is again.

Once on a CO 1st season rifle elk hunt we got to our hunt area 3 days before the opener to scout. The area held lots of elk and had several shooter bulls. The night before season opened as we all sat glassing from our favorite glassing spot a bunch of POS cowboys on horses drove all the elk out of the area and onto private land. All we could do was sit and watch and get pissed

How in the hell can someone feel good about stealing someone else's buck or bull? Especially from a child or a woman. At that point hunting has become about "tagging and killing" more than enjoying the outdoors and having the chance to harvest an animal. I hope I never have to deal with some POS trying to steal a deer or elk from me, I don't want to take the chance of beating them senseless and going to jail. Maybe someone should create a post about all the dumb Sh@$ people have seen and had done to them up at Strawberry in Utah, I too have had my share of experiences, like two years ago having a dumb A@& use his scope as binnoculars looking down his barrel at my buddy and I..... part of the reason I don't rifle hunt nearly as much these days.

Debated whether to post or not, but here goes. Many years ago a good friend of mine could not draw an elk tag in AZ (15+ years)and finally made the decision to try Colorado. First morning he knocked down a nice bull and when he got to it two guys from Colorado had it tagged and was doing a nice job of cleaning it. Joe spoke his mind, turned and walked away. (better man than me) He packed his camp, went home and never hunted CO again. Probably what the scum wanted to make happen. Sad part is Joe is one of the best hunters I know. I tell this story to show that taking someone elses kill is not a new thing.

Frankly, I could not live with myself if I took someone's fresh killed deer or elk. If there was any question at all as to who's it was, I would cave and congratulate them on a nice animal. If there was no doubt that it was mine, I don't think I would walk away quietly. At a minimum I'd involve a game ranger and file a complaint just so it was not as easy as they thought is was going to be. Some people are just jerks and have no concerns about others. Their every waking thought is "its all about me."

Now being a native of AZ I used to hate Califonian's coming to MY state and taking MY deer and elk. Drove me nuts every year especially when I did not draw a tag. Now that I am much older and started hunting in Colorado I have a whole different perspective on out of state hunting. Its called the shoe is on the other foot. I now welcome out of state hunters to AZ and if asked would probably help out or even share a camp. Anymore, the only thing I take issue with is the high fence crap. (for some reason, Texas comes to mind) Its almost like buffalo hunting in AZ or should I say go out to the feed lot and pick one out. Not hunt'n, its shooting and most everyone can do that.
264X300

YOU BOYS AIN'T NEVER SEEN RUS GET PISSY!!!

YOU OUGHT TO SEE HIM & THE WARDEN BUNT HEADS!!!

HE'S A HARD HEADED OLD BASTAGE THAT DOESN'T LIKE WARDENS AT ALL!!!

IF YOU THINK HIM WHIZZING ON OTHER CAMPS IS BAD YOU OUGHT TO SEE WHAT HE DOES TO A WARDEN!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

264x300,
The 1st time I hunted CO they guys in my group all told me if I shot an elk to run as fast as I could to get to it and tag it as fast as I could because someone else would beat me to it and put their tag on it....pretty sad

Sounds to me like RUS is the biggest tard of 'em all. I guess maybe we should have just beat the shyt out of them instead. That punk was given every opportunity to make right his wrong. He chose not to so payback is a ##### I don't care what state you are from. Bottom line is don't steal my beer and I won't piss on your stuff.

P.S. Signing out now as I am leaving for Tardville tomorrow hoping not to have to piss on anyone's camp.

Piper, how's your period?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-08 AT 10:18PM (MST)[p]alright, just curious...and I'm not throwing any daggers here...like I said, just curious....we all can write what we would do when we catch someone (i.e. beat the hell out of them)...BUT, who actually has walked the walk??????

Some of you guys are lucky to be able to live in the mountains and are used to having beauty all around you all year long. I'm blessed to also live in such a place so you know how i feel about people who come and litter up the place.

Several years ago at the annual 4th of July parade here in our little town, i was walking over the crowded bridge of the Feather River in the middle of our town when in front of me, i saw a big plastic ice bag fly up in the air, then over the railing, and plop down onto the river below. Quickly i followed the flight of the thrown trash back to the thrower, a 12-13 yr old kid. He and his Dad were walking toward me as i was them. When i saw it was the kid, the Dad spoke up first and said smartly to me still walking at each other at 5-10 feet, "if you don't like it nature boy, you go get it".

I tagged him across the side of his face from the uncontrolable reaction to his smart mouth comment, knocking him to the ground but unfortunetly not hard enough to have him go out. When he got up he grabbed his kid's arm and they ran away across the bridge not to be seen again. As he was running i hollered at him in front of hundreds of parade witnesses, "That's it, That's how to teach your kid, you #@$^%."

Later, i felt sorry for the kid to have to see his dad get his butt kicked and then run away, all because of something his dad never taught him in the first place... respect for the outdoors!

Joey

Dang Sage you should have told him how you really felt!!! The next time he or his kid threw trash I bet they looked over their shoulder, behind there back and kept their mouths shut.

Good for you.
264X300

I guess I am just lucky. I have been hunting for most of 50 years and have hardly even seen another hunter close to an animal I have shot, much less had someone argue over who shot it. It is a good thing I guess, because there would be issues.

Here is a Question..
In Utah if you are in the woods and come across a dead animal (not warm or to old). Do you start to gut it? If so do you have to tag it (by law)? How long do you wait to tag it? Or would you leave?

Myself
I would love to start to gut it and have the shooter come by and finish it and say thanks....

Frozen

WELL!!!

IN TARDVILLE YOU HAVE TO TAG IT BEFORE YOU MOVE IT!!!

COULD PUT YOU IN A SITUATION IF SOMEBODY KNOWS THEY WOUNDED IT & ARE LOOKING FOR IT!!!

SURE WOULDN'T WANT THE MEAT TO SPOIL EITHER!!!

SAD PART IS IF YOU TOUCH IT YOU'VE BASICALLY GOT TO TAG IT!!!

IF YOU CALL THE WARDEN IT WILL SPOIL LONG BEFORE THEY CAN GET THERE,USUALLY!!!

THEM KINDA "THANKS" DO HAPPEN frozen BUT IT AIN'T OFTEN!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-08
>AT 10:18?PM (MST)

>
>alright, just curious...and I'm not throwing
>any daggers here...like I said,
>just curious....we all can write
>what we would do when
>we catch someone (i.e. beat
>the hell out of them)...BUT,
>who actually has walked the
>walk??????

I would hope that I wouldn't try to fight or let the situation escalate further by involving weapons. I'm sure that if it was a smaller animal I would thank them for allowing me to harvest an animal and still get to keep hunting, I would also make sure they tagged it before I walked off to avoid having them try to pull something sneaky. If it were a trophy animal I would be pissed, say a few choice words then leave to hunt another day. I don't need to die over an animal or end up being shot.

I was hunting on the Wasatch Extended hunt one day when I was glassing a 28-30" 4 point across the canyon. As I was trying to figure out if there was any possible way to make a move on this deer I decided to take a look at it one more time before I started my plan of attack. I noticed another hunter moving in on the deer and he was about 60 yards away. I decided to stay in my position and take the chance that if the other hunter by chance spooked the deer that it would come my way as I was sitting on a heavily used game trail. As I am watching the deer and hunter both in my field of view through my binoculars I see a fluff of snow come up about 20 feet low of the deer and it takes off in the opposite direction and then it all happened. The hunter who was putting the sneek on jumped up and started dropping F bombs across the canyon. A hunter who was well over a hundred yards away from the deer decided to take a long shot and definately ruined it for this guy. The hunter proceeded to go after the guy and a fight shortly followed. Punches were thrown and both guys went home pretty bloody. It was by far one of the craziest days I have ever had on the mountain.

I don't know the "rules" where you guys live, but in California, if you come upon a dead deer or elk, you better be really, really, careful of the next few minutes.

Wardens here will most likely bury your ass if you touch it and have not tagged it first. I got pages and pages of these kind of horror stories. 99.9999% of the time, you are going to lose ANY arguement you have under these circumstances.

If it is not your animal, you better not mess with it at all. If it is wounded, days old, don't kill it unless you want to tag it. I simply don't want any part of those scenarios.

Someone needs help doing the "blood work", I got no problem, but SOMEBODY better tag it before I take my gear off.

I would rather find a dead hunter than a dead deer, in this state.....they won't write you a ticket for not tagging a dead hunter and you don't have to take the rib cage.

Wow-

Have hunted a few times on public land out West and never had a problem. Here's a story to balance out the other ones on here:

In 2000 I went to Wyoming with some friends for my first elk hunt. We hunted public land. One of my buddies knew a thing or two about where the elk were and on opening morning we hiked in together before daylight and he told me to sit down and watch this glassy bowl.

Sure enough, as daylight broke I heard a bull bugle and he kept getting closer and closer. The big 6X6 walked out about 60 yards from where I was sitting,lifted his head, and let out a blood-curdling bugle.(It still may be the most beautiful sight I have ever seen in nature)Somehow I kept it together and downed him with one shot from my .338.

About 5 minutes later a kid about 18 or 19 came huffing and puffing up, said he was from Riverton and had a day off from college to go hunting.He had been following the elk's bugles when he heard my shot.He asked me how many elk I had ever killed. I told him "One.And there he is." He asked how many elk I had ever seen. Again, I told him "One. This one."

That kid dropped his pack,got out his rope,knife, and saw and basically dressed and quartered that elk for me. I bet he stayed with me 2 hours despite my pleas that he continue his hunt. I got his name but lost it in all my excitement which still bothers me as I feel like I made a friend that day but can't repay or even contact him to tell him thanks again for his kindness in helping a Texas flatlander out one morning on a Wyoming mountain. I pray he is well and the Good Lord repaid him for his kindness that day.

Only in Utah. Ya right.

A few years ago, I was hunting on the Skyline Drive with my brother. We came across an acquaintence and his son tracking a deer the boy had just shot, so we decided to help. We followed the blood trail until it ended, at some ATV tracks. We followed the ATV tracks to a camp were the deer was placed into a pick-up.
The deer still wasn't dressed, and we knew the guys were trying to steal the deer from the 14 year old kid. They denied at and my brother and I left to let them settle it.

BTW, the dipchits were from Califonia.

My whole family was bowhunting down near Beaver one year. We had a great opening weekend. My sister shot her very 1st archery buck. Upon hitting her buck she hiked back to camp to get help blood trailing it. When we got to the blood trail it was heavy and obvious it was a good hit. Her buck made it about 150 yards. Problem is he crossed a very old ATV trail that someone had happened to cross. They picked up the blood trail and took her deer. All we found was the footprints and drag marks. They did not even dress it out. I can only imaging the stories they told about how they had snuck in and executed a perfect shot! How pathetic. Really put her hunt in the toilet that year. Someone must of really needed that forked horn. Pretty sad.

Too many stories like that to share right now. Stolen elk at gun point, deer etc. Pretty sad for sure! Hope this year is way better than those stories remind me of!

Stealing someone's kill is definately not a new thing. I had a friend who was out hunting elk in Montana with his dad over 20 years ago when we were in high school. His dad shot an elk and it went down into a canyon. When they got close to it they heard another shot and found two other hunters with the elk he had just shot. They argued over it and the other hunters wouldn't back down.

Don't know that I approve of what his dad did, but he decided to let them have the elk, but first he filled the hind quarters with the remaining rounds in his 7MM Mag

My dad and I were hunting down in Fish Lake to fill his spike elk tag about 5 years ago. We got up early and headed to a meadow that we normally see elk in the morning. On the way in we passed two hunters watching a different meadow... Anyway, we got the the meadow where we normally see elk and found two spikes and a two point. My dad takes aim at an elk that was facing us but only about 75 yds away and fires. The elk was hit hard and turned the other direction. He started to walk away limping really bad but didn't give us another shot. In the mean time the other elk just stood their. About 2-3 minutes went by but the elk was just standing their not offering another shot. All of a sudden at the edge of the clearing shots range out and the two point dropped and then after a few more shots the dad my dad had hit dropped. More shots range out trying to get the other spike but he made it to the trees. Anyway, we were back in the trees a ways so when the two hunters we had passed earier came out we started walking towards them. Once one of them saw us he ran to the spike and put another round in it and before we could say anything he said, "I put it on the ground, it's mine." Anyway, we counted about 12 shots in the time so I figured the elk wasn't worth much having so many holes in it and it wasn't worth fighting over. We ended up running into a fish and game officer on the way out and told him where to find them. Don't think they got in much trouble becuase for the rest of the week there group of about 12 hunters scared every elk out of the area. They honestly had 2-3 people sitting at every clearing and they had their walkie talkies turned up loud enough that you could hear the conversation from 100 yds away. I still have a sour taste in my mouth from it. It's scumbags like that that ruin the experience for everyone else. They were just there to fill their tags and didn't care how they did it.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-08 AT 01:43AM (MST)[p]hunting strawberry, sheepcreek and the waters in the 80's pretty much ruined me on deer hunting.

haveing a deer or elk stolen was a yearly event, we hunted off horses and would push and sit on ridges watching for the deer we pushed. if we did shoot one ,by the time we got back to the horses and to the deer some A@@ hole was usually there, it happened every year, usually a guy with a kid,

but one year, i was 15 and shot a great little buck. i watched him drop, got to the horse, and took off, i get to it and start "trying" to clean it I heard some one crunching through the bushes and turned to see a scoped rifle aimed at my head, with some old sum beatch yelling at me to get the hell away from his deer, i got away from it and to my horse, and met my dad and grandpa who were working there way down to me, i was about to bawl when i told them the story, they took off like they were on fire, we got to the guy and he was just as bad to them as he was to me. after a tense moment we left him on the mountain with the deer. he was on foot and had at least 2 miles to take it.

i leaned a lesson that day. most guys will do anything for a set of horns.
later that day i shot a spike and was thrilled.

this was in the Bad old days of sheepcreek when seeing two bucks in the same hunt was rare.

since then i have had some really good experiences and a few bad ones, harder to remember the good ones though.

3 years ago i was glassing a pocket in a hole, i was watching a pretty good buck, WAY out of range for me, so i was just watching, awhile later i saw two orange dots skyline above him, then boom.boom,boom,boom......about 10 shots, i saw the deer get hit but badly, and he ran.....straight to me i smashed him in the lungs at about 45 yards with a .300 mag. i walked up to him and sat down, the two dots came running up to me yelling about me stealing their deer,
i looked up in total disbelief,
1. the shot that hit the buck was not a fatal shot, maybe a week later from infection. s this buck was not theirs at all.
2. they would have never seen this buck again had i not shot.'
3. i never had any intention of taking the buck.

after explaining to them, they were very appreciative. and i helped pack it out for them. he was just shy of 30 with a dropper.

had the roles been reversed i know they would not have done the same.

sounds like i need to go to strawberry and follow all of u around so i can actually kill something. if only i could get u guys to pack it out for me too. jk. im pretty sure i would have ended up with some bloody knuckles over many of these stories even though that accomplishes nothing. some of u handled the situation well.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-08 AT 11:03AM (MST)[p]Dirty tricks...

The old geezer that taught me to archery hunt was a real SOB. I was only 13 when he took me under his wing. He taught me how to hunt that my Dad taught me how to shoot a rifle long distances. I call it sniper hunting.

But the SOB taught me to call well then if we got into the elk and another hunter came in and started to call we would quit calling and adjust our location so that we were between the caller and elk. He killed many elk by using the entering new hunters as his calling support. Not very nice but sure was funny as a kid to hear the sound of the bow and the wack of the arrow. Then you hear the hunter(s)/caller(s) say what the heck?

Most of the people knew him so they would just shake their heads and move on. A few got really excited because they were had. That SOB was before his time. He could really call. This was over 35 years ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom