Disappointed by Rut! SE NM

D

desertambusher

I have been out scouting this morning and saw 2 nice groups of doe one group had a small forkie kinda pushin the doe around and the other group was just 5 doe no buck??? I figured there would at least been one nice buck with each group? is rut not on I mean whats the deal??? im down scouting in the sands east of carlsbad NM unit 31. can anyone explain the best way to locate these bucks for bow season starting in 1 week ??

Dudebthese snows ought get stuff kicked in. I am scouting here in unit 19. By las cruces and spotted 3 bucks still badge ores up. But these snows lights help.

thanks for responding. Do you think I should continue to watch those groups of doe since i know where they hang out, hoping a bigger buck will show up?

Went out yesterday and only saw 4 bucks. Typically the big bucks are roaming and will breed the does and then move on. The average bucks seem to stick with the small herd of does... Just don't know why we aren't seeing them everywhere!

I would most definitely keep watching those does. We hunted 31 north of Carlsbad last year and watched small bucks chasing does every day all day but at least every other day we would catch a LARGE buck showing himself and checking the does then he would move on and he always moved in a direction that we couldn't get a shot on him.The does hung in the same general area for 10 days. The bigger ones will show themselves but its my experience that unlike elk they don't hang with the herd but they are continually moving in search of a hot one. Good luck...

The big bucks will "cruise" looking for hot does, and will cover some ground. I've seen numerous shooter bucks cruise back and forth from different heads of does. Locate the does and then spend some time behind your optics.

Great post here guys. We have had great luck in 17 when we are lucky enough to locate two herds of does fairly close to each other. We will sit high and glass up those bucks that are cruising the draws between the two herds of does. Our best tactic to date was to hunt a nice mature buck that had lost a fight to a bigger buck, he trotted off, and we moved in close to where he had gone, and within 15 minutes he came sneaking back in. Of course he was on the wrong side of the Juniper and I couldn't finish the deal, but was real cool stalk.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom