DIY dall's sheep

Randy11

is this at all feasible? me and my hunting buddy have been kicking the idea around quite a bit and i was just curious if anyone of you guys could tell me how logical this is. I cant seem to get much info on the Alaska f&g website. is there any areas that you can pack into where it is a real possibility of getting a legal ram? would you have to apply for a tag or is it over the counter?
The advantage that we have is that we can spend up to 25 days on the entire trip if necessary.
any help would be appreciated.

All dall sheep hunts have to be guided at this time. This also includes, Mt. Goat and Grizzly or Brown Bear. Everything else if fair game for DYI. Sucks doesn't it.

tc

YEA.... AND ITS NOT GONNA CHANGE. ITS KINDA LIKE WYOMING YOU CAN FISH, OR HUNT WOLVES.... BAD EXAMPLE.... COYOTES IN THERE BUT YOU NEED A OUTFITTER TO HUNT SHEEP IN THERE. THIS IS NOTHING BUT A MONEY GRAB. BEEN THERE DONE THAT. YD.

thanks guys. i was afraid of that. i agree that 90% of out of staters do probably need a guide in order to not get into trouble, and itd be really hard to filter out the ones that could handle it on their own. here in montana sometimes i wish that alot of the out of staters were with guides, but ive also hunted with out of staters (from alabama) that were very responsible and fun to be around.
do you guys know if this is the same way with the providences?
and can you just get like a day-guide that will help you get into the sheep but doesnt provide everything for you and take care of your animal for you etc. Here in montana you can hire guides for cow elk for the day for like 200 bucks.

RANDY, YEA .. CANADA IS THE SAME WAY. I WILL BE IN THE YUKON IN AUG. FOR A DALL. ITS A ALL OR NOTHING DEAL WITH OUTFITTERS THERE. THERE IN IT FOR THE $$$$$$. I HAVE NEVER HAD TO BE SO PREPARED FOR ANY HUNT IN MY LIFE, AND I AM TOTALLY ANAL ABOUT HUNT DETAILS. BUT HERE YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT, TRIP INSURANCE, FLIGHT DETAILS, HOTELS, INJURY MATERIALS, SICKNESS MEDS, GUN IMPORTATION/ PAPERWORK, GEAR, GEAR WEIGHT, MEAT/ HORN PACKING, WHAT TO DO IF YOUR GEAR DOES NOT ARRIVE, HORSE RELATED/ GUN ISSUES, STAYING COMFORTABLE, WEATHER,JUST TO NAME A FEW. ITS BEEN A TOTAL EDUCATION. IT WILL BE FUN... YD.

Sounds like you really have to do your homework. Going on a hunt for me means filling the truck up with gas and making sure the guns sighted in, haha. Im sure your hunt will be well worth the time and effort youre putting into it though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom