Don't waste your kids youth

C

coonhound40

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-07 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-07 AT 09:22?PM (MST)

Well, it finally hit home, my kids are not kids anymore. My son is getting married to a great girl this fall and my daughter is almost out of high school, already planning for college.

I was just flipping through one of my old photo albums and man did I waste a lot of quality time, that I should have spent with my kids.

Below are some photos and a story about one of my favorite times with my son.

Like most of us fathers I was anxious to get my son involved in my hobbies so I bought him a single shot 22 when he was just a little tyke. That September I decided I needed to take him somewhere that he would have a good chance of bagging his 1st grouse. Like I often did, I made a huge day of it, I took him into the Tatoosh Wilderness area, about a 14 mile round trip.

I'll tell the next portion with the photo's

My son as we are breaking into the high country.
45b43856412f1ef4.jpg

His 1st Grouse under his belt, about 10 shots, and we have a nice spruce grouse.
45b4389e43c187e8.jpg

The view from the lookout, a steep 7 mile hike, what a view of MtRainier.
45b438f346053bd6.jpg

It's time for lunch, so we built a fire and cooked up his prize.
45b439384a057781.jpg

That was the best tastin grouse he ever ate.
45b439684b985203.jpg

We spent the entire day goofing off, enjoying the sites and focusing entirely on him and his day of grouse hunting. I get a little sentimental every time I look at these pictures.

I guess what I'm trying to say is....take advantage of these years, I didn't do these types of things near enough and you can't get those years back. They will grow up and leave the nest much quicker than we realize.

A couple more fun pics, My son with his 1st multi critter day and my daughter after a morning as dads retriever.
45b43a6e5619b1e5.jpg

I thought it might be fun to hear some stories from some of your outings with your kids, pics always make it better.

Sorry for the poor quality photos, we didn't have digital cameras in those days.

Great pics! Here is a couple from last summers outing to the Uintas.

Can't wait to get out again this spring.....

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-07 AT 10:10PM (MST)[p]Here's a couple pics of my sons 1st deer. You would have thought that little spike Blacktail was the biggest buck in the world. I had never been that excited when I killed a deer as I was with his 1st.

I was one proud dad, 10 years old, one shot at 100yds, I was shakin more than him.
45b4459528abb1d3.jpg

We had to take a litte bragin trip to my best friends house, I shot the 3 point the day before but it was nothing compared to my sons trophy Blacktail. (Man I was just a pup myself)
45b446222ea146b3.jpg

Thanks for lettin me get all sentimental on you,
Coon

What a great thread. My son's are 10, 9, and 4. This post definately makes me think. Especially when I haven't had a day for the past 3 weeks.

Looks/sounds like you did a great job raising your kids. All of us I am sure, think we could spend more time with ours kids. But by the looks of the pic's it appears he is off to a good start in life.

Thanks for sharing.
It's a great reminder that they really do only stay little once. My oldest is 14 and it does fly by. Seems like you just run out of time to do things if you don't take the bull by the horns and go do it with them.

Got to love Utahs Muzzleloader hunt, perfect weather, great family trip, Grampa and Grandma comes along, trailors make it nice. While the little guy wasn't hunting with me, he had a ball, still will make comments about stuff on the hunt that I had no idea he would take note of or remember. Not a throphy hunt, but sometimes that just don't matter.

45b4e7b652a49297.jpg

45b4e7dd539a4cf5.jpg

Good post! Great shots guys! I'm always looking for an opportunitiy to break these out. My son's first deer & javelina! :)

S.

ErikDad-FirstDeer-copy-copy.jpg

ErikDad2006Epig.jpg

Great pictures.....gotta love it.

Here are a few for me. Hard to just put up a couple.

My son Hunter is 4, but this was actually his third year I've taken him hunting with me, at least one of my trips.

This year I took him back to Montana elk hunting with me. Ten hour drive and all. Kid blew me away. Up at 4:00am every morning, hit the trailhead by 5:30, hike in a good mile and a half in the dark, and sit for approx. 1/2hr. waiting for day light. Never a single complaint!

Anyway here's one of me and my son with my Dad on the left and my father-in-law on the right. He thought that was pretty cool....Elk hunting in Montana with his dad and both his Grandpa's.

IMG_2246.jpg

Brought his little Daisy with his own shooting sticks. He thought that was pretty cool too.

IMG_2248.jpg

I can remember doing the same thing with my Dad, falling asleep waiting for it to get daylight. That's a long hike in the dark with those little legs. :) Actually passed a guy on the way in that was already sitting by a tree, when he saw I had the boy with me he couldn't believe it. The guy thought I had a flashlight on my foot cause my son's head lamp was so low to the ground, he didn't know what was coming. LOL!

IMG_2233.jpg

But when he woke up this is what he saw. All he could say was "Cooool!"

IMG_2239.jpg

Of course one of the best parts about taking a little one is teaching them all the little things about hunting and being in the woods. Showed him lots of rubs, deer and elk, different tracks, poop, you name it.....

IMG_2258.jpg

All though it was a 4 day trip and we did not get an elk, on that trip, had to be the best hunt I did this year.

Gotta take your kids out every chance you get!

I wish I would have started him sooner, but here's my boy's first big game animal.
DSC01317.jpg

A proud dad with his boy and a rare moment with him smiling!
DSC01418.jpg

Very cool thread. As I am sitting here typing, my 18 month old daughter is bugling at every elk picture she sees.

We definitely can't forget those daughters, my daughter turned into a girl only few short years ago. She earned the name pig pen when she was little. She would go anywhere dad went, no matter how grubby she got.

I was coming home from grouse hunting one day and she came bustin out of the house yelling daddy, daddy did you get one. When I said yes the next thing out of her mouth was priceless, "Daddy,can I pull there heads off". She got that from the way I skin the grouse, 1st step on the head and pull it off then stand on both wings and pull the legs until all the skin, feathers and guts come out leaving you with a nice clean breast with 2 wings. Back to the story, of course she did proceed to pull the heads off of all 3 grouse. we then enjoyed them for dinner that night.

I still tease her about that comment.

Coon

great thread!!!!!!!!

Here is my oldest boy Russ' first lion tree

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

She gave us some excitement by jumping out and treeing accross the creek. Russ was immpressed

IMG_0067_red.jpg

On our walk out we found an old kill. Russ figured we needed pics of that too. A boy and his dog

IMG_0071.jpg

Love all you guys pics keep them up.;

I too believe now is the time to get them out. I didn't get the boy I was hoping, but I get my girls outside when they want to go. Here are a few I hope you don't mind.

ashbrittcamp2.jpg

Same trip, we ended up with a few grouse, and a deer. They got to experience a bit of archery, and a follow up after a shot.

ashbrittdeer5.jpg

And the year I thought would never happen. My oldest turned 12 last year, and she wanted to antelope hunt.

This is after the shot. It's a bit delayed, but she was all smiles and it brought tears.

IMAG0015.jpg

And her reward.

IMAG0026.jpg

You guys have seen my pics in the past.
My son Thomas has been in my hip pocket on hunting and fishing trips since he could walk.
I am always telling him that in my next life, I want to come back as him!
I have bought him the best equipment to ensure an enjoyable time.
Thing are getting expensive now.
I applied him for elk in Arizona, Utah, & New Mexico and will for Idaho & Oregon if things don't work out elsewhere.
Deer will be Arizona, Idaho, Oregon & Cali.
He will be a busy kid with all the upcoming fishing trips!

t10.jpg

t2-1.jpg

th2-1.jpg

The kid seems to always be where the action is!
He spotted this nice buck for his cousin.

t1-1.jpg

At my side for a lot of hunts...

This is one of the best threads ever. My son got his first elk last year at 12 years old and he missed a buck this year on his first "Buck" deer hunt. Both hunts have been the favorites for me of all the hunts I have been on. I am more pumped and nervous for my sons than I have been on any other hunt anywhere. Thanks for starting such a great post............... Allen Taylor......

Great pics & stories everyone. HARRY & ARVADA, you two rule!!! I love all of the great fishing pics of your son Harry! :7 Arvada, you have obviously found the true meaning of life! ;-)

S.

:)

this is really cool. i mean really cool. my wife and i found out last week we are having our first child.

I think this a a great thread! There is nothing better than hunting and hiking with your kids! My nephew found this big set while hunting sheds with my brother and I, not bad for nine years old. He and my duaghters are already hooked on horn hunting!
daveduncan12307-1.jpg

This is his first buck at age nine. The buck was a "cactus buck" and was taken with one shot from his 243! It was 5 degrees that morning!

daveduncan12307-2.jpg

This is my duaghters first buck at age nine, She took it with one shot with her 257 roberts on the same day her cousin got his! I couldn't have been prouder!

daveduncan12307-3.jpg

They took these birds during the youth hunt this fall. My seven year old in the back can't wait unil it is her turn!
daveduncan12307-4.jpg

My Girls are 8 years, 6 years and 6 months now so I am taking your words to heart. THis year We will get the oldest her Hunter safety course, and hope a turkey this April.

Here are the two oldest with some sheds from my 2005 Wyoming hunt.

shedset_253.jpg

The oldest was really proud of her grandpa's 2002 elk when she was 6 years old
1697.JPG

Practicing for the real thing

3d2006033.jpg

3d2006014.jpg

The oldest's first Predator hunt. She was pretty thrilled when a hawk swooped over us as we were calling like a dying rabbit.
de23003.jpg

Even My Grandfather gets a kick out of teaching the girls
nv29008.jpg

I don't think the Youngest has any chance of not being an outdoors kid....THe outfit is from a friend in Idaho.
h4ecamo003.jpg

Nice pictures! It was good to meet you this fall (on your trip after this one) - I was the one that as out with my son, Gunnar, and we talked at the trailhead.

You and your buddies looked to be having a good time, even if the Elk wree a little scarce.

Good hunting,

shortside

shortside.....I think you were referring to me. Your the one I met up there when we were just gettin' back to the traihead? Wow....that's crazy. I bet you thought that was kinda weird comin' on here and seeing pics from your stoppin' grounds.

Did you ever end up taken an elk outta there?

Looks like Hunter and Gunnar would've had a good time together huh? That was a fun trip.

Yep, you got it! Small world sometimes! I never had time to get back out, and the elk stayed high, due to the no-snow. I got a good 5-point frame whitetail, and that was it. Still building my house... too much work, too little play... Maybe next year will be better...

How did things turn out for you guys?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-07 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]My kids aren't quite to the age of hunting yet but they sure love to fish. Here is a picture of my oldest fishing Down on Boulder Mountain in Utah.
45b8f1220b4e35d3.jpg

I can relate mine our outta the house now, but we did hunt alot together, and did some baseball with 'em, I may have screwed up some with them but I gave it my best shot since my dad never gave me a second of his time, he was from the old country...

lets not let this thread die guys and gals...it is one of the
beat ones i've seen since finding this website a few month ago..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom