Drastic measures needed

BenHuntn

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-13 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]Drastic measures need to be done to get the Wyoming Range Deer herd back. We have gone from 60,000 deer 70's and 80's to 28,000 currently. I hunted from 1977 to 1992. We never had a problem filling our tags with mature 4 points. The last of the good hunting ended in approximately 1993. Game and fish issued way to many tags for bucks and does and fawns. They new the herd could not be supported on the winter range so they were very liberal with the allocation of tags. Unfortunately the winter of 1992 or 1993 was harsh and took it's toll. Also Game and fish data on deer population was wrong and they did not have as many deer as they thought. With the combination of the way too many deer harvested and the harsh winter the deer were decimated. I went the following year deer hunting and you could not even find a good buck deer. A landscape void of deer. We have never fully recovered from those days. What is needed now is a drastic reduction in tags. Between predators, hunters, encroachment of industry and lastly harsh winters we have had a dramatic impact on the return of mule deer herds. One thing we as people can do is
reduce predation further, cut tags issued drastically and improve habitat. Maybe once that has been accomplished people can be once again excited about mule deer hunting in the Wyoming Range once again.

good luck with the tag reductions, it was hard work just to get the modest nonresident cuts through a couple of years ago.

These back to back drought years don't help, the dry conditions aren't not so noticeable in the high country but the winter range is in bad shape, and that's what hurts .

Haven't most areas of the State suffered similar percentage decreases in herd numbers since the 70's. I'll bet a bunch of these limited quota areas are also way down from 1970's numbers. If yer wanting to increase numbers, don't you need to start with the females first. Are they even hunting does anymore in the Wyoming Range? Given all the factors impacting herd numbers and quality, yer gonna need to do a lot more than just cut tags. Where do we go with the discussion regarding reduced tags, additional lost revenues, and more fee hikes...

Piper

Changes need to be made. Everyone must sacrifice. You can't have your cake and eat it to. We can't control the weather but we can control man made problems.

Triple_BB

I was just using the Wyoming Range because that's where I spend the most time. Youths still can kill doe's. Lost revenues....
That's why you do not want the lions share of your budget tied to the sale of tags. When deer numbers are way down there needs to be a significant reduction in the sale of tags without affecting revenues. Alternative sources of revenue is the key. WDOT just got a .10 cent a gallon gas tax to help fund their dept. Game and fish needs that kind of revenue.

>That's why you do not want
>the lions share of your
>budget tied to the sale
>of tags. When deer numbers
>are way down there needs
>to be a significant reduction
>in the sale of tags
>without affecting revenues.

That's the reality of it and it ain't likely to change anytime soon...

Changes need to be made. Everyone must sacrifice. You can't have your cake and eat it to. We can't control the weather but we can control man made problems.

Good luck with this one.

You're crying about "sacrifice" yet when the Resident Sportsmen of this State are asked about a $10-$20 tag fee increase (a very SMALL "sacrifice", they throw an absoulute chit fit. We're pricing people out, what about the guys on welfare that cant afford a tag, the list goes on and on.

When you ask hunters in this State to lay off killing a 2-point mule deer "for meat" and hunt cow elk and whitetails, they bit ch about the cost of having to travel somewhere else to hunt.

When you ask hunters in this State to become involved in the Commission meetings, the legislature, and public comment periods, they come up with every excuse in the book why they cant make it. They're all too fuggin busy to make a trip to Cheyenne to testify on their own behalf, attend a local G&F meeting, etc. But oddly enough, they all have time to hunt, fish, camp, play golf, etc. etc. etc.??? If hunters really care about the wildlife and hunting, its time they got off the couch and become involved.

While I personally agree with you that some major changes need to happen with regard to funding, mule deer management, etc. the reality is most are unwilling to really sacrifice anything when it gets down to the nut cuttin'...

Its been said before that it's insane to allow the residents OTC tags for Region G as the mule deer population decreases.

The WY G&F have cut the non-resident quota for Region G at least twice in last six or seven years. Region H has also had similar NR tag cuts. What has this accomplished? Is the hunting any better now then six or seven years ago? I think most will say the hunt quality continues to suffer.

Take a look at the WY G&F published harvest reports for mule deer in the Region G units (Units 135, 144, 145 ect.) for the past seven years. Seems to me the number of non-residents hunting has significantly decreased (as a result of the cut in NR tags for the Region), while at the same time the number of resident hunters has increased. For every NR that gets booted, there is a resident to fill that spot.

It no wonder the WY G&F is in financial trouble. They cut hundreds of non-resident deer tags in Region G over the years which they would receive $500+ for the "special" tags (40% of the allocation) and $350+ for the regular draw tags. Add all that up and its a huge chunk of change they are loosing just for that Region.

I agree with BuzzH - the residents need to step up and accept a price increase if they expect the same services from the G&F department while at the same time supporting a cut to the NR tag quotas.

Though mule deer numbers across the west continue to decline, Wyoming's herd has never recovered from the winter of '92-'93. Statistics bear this out. I agree with Ben that drastic measures are needed, but as others above have stated-good luck getting the resident hunter to agree that he needs to sacrifice any of his hunting.

BUZZY pretty much nailed it. Hunter apathy. It never ceases to amaze me how much resident hunters moan and groan about the poor hunting, yet never take part in any possible solution or let their feelings be known to WGF or their legislators. It does lots more good to complain about it in hunting camp to your buddies. Right? ;)

On the other hand, I feel like G&F should take it upon themselves to try to find a solution. After all, the wildlife of this state is their charge. Make a tough decision once in awhile.
They're damned if they do and damned if they don't either way, so what difference would it make if they piss off some more people? Do what's best for the resource-not the hunter.

License increases are going to happen-it's just a matter of time. Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later. I guarantee you the griping by sportsmen in this state will become louder and louder as time goes by and these budget cuts are felt by us all. And, of course, that will be G&F's fault too. They are in a no-win situation.

I don't know about you guys, but I will continue to be active and do what I feel is right to try to help the mule deer recover.

nontypical,

I agree with your post, all of it.

The only thing I'd like to comment on is this:

On the other hand, I feel like G&F should take it upon themselves to try to find a solution. After all, the wildlife of this state is their charge. Make a tough decision once in awhile.
They're damned if they do and damned if they don't either way, so what difference would it make if they piss off some more people? Do what's best for the resource-not the hunter.

Thats much easier said than done, and for ONE reason, and ONE reason only, and thats the politics involved.

The G&F Director is a politically appointed position that is totally up to the discretion of the Governor. For the record, I'm no fan of politically appointed positions with regard to teh G&F. No matter what, there is an agenda and strings attached with regard to that appointment. While its plenty easy for you or I to say, "just do something"...they just simply cant.

Even further, the G&F still has to work through the Legislature as well as the G&F commission (also a politically appointed commission).

That is where the efforts we spend as sportsmen need to be intensified. If a Governor is going to simply appoint a "yes" man to the Director and Commission positions, the voters need to send that SOB packing next election. We dont need, nor should we, keep those thoughts to ourselves. Put the Governor, Legislature, and Commission on "notice" that Sportsmen wont be tolerating any type of behavior that is counter-productive to wildlife, hunting, fishing, public lands, etc. If your State Representatives and Senators introduce BS Legislation that interferes with wildlife management, hunting, fishing etc. Sportsmen need to send them a very clear message, as well as a trip straight to the unemployment line.

Its time for the hook-and-bullet crowd to use the political clout we have as a voting block to get this train back on the tracks.

I can assure you that the G&F would be a lot more willing to step out on a limb if they knew a majority of the Sportsmen in this State were going to stand united behind them and truly have their back.

We're not there yet...and they know it.

IMO, its time to turn the tables.

I'd like someone to explain what those drastic measures would look like. I haven't see the G&F set a season to reduce deer numbers in 20 years.....what can be done to help the numbers grow, except a change in mother nature's attitude?

>Not drastic, but would probably help
>some:
>
>Make a resident choose 1 region
>to hunt.

How's that gonna help?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom