Draw?

cosmic_cowboy

Very Active Member
I have seen a disturbing trend. Some close friends allways seem to get 1st choice on at least one species. This has happened for a number of years. They apply very early like in Feb. and I am beginning to think the earlier you apply the beter your chances. I allways wait till the last week because I'm a tite wad and don't want G&F to have my money any longer than necessary. I know its the luck of the draw but has anyone else seen this ? I haven't drawn a 1st choice in a VERY long time.
Jack

Applied during the last week for the last two years and drew my first choice each time. No tag for the 5 years prior to that.

>I have seen a disturbing trend.
>Some close friends allways seem
>to get 1st choice on
>at least one species. This
>has happened for a number
>of years. They apply very
>early like in Feb. and
>I am beginning to think
>the earlier you apply the
>beter your chances. I allways
>wait till the last week
>because I'm a tite wad
>and don't want G&F to
>have my money any longer
>than necessary. I know its
>the luck of the draw
>but has anyone else seen
>this ? I haven't drawn
>a 1st choice in a
>VERY long time.
>Jack

Then it wouldn't be a random draw.....
I got 1 first choice tag and a 3rd.
Applied in middle...

Also bear in mind that applicants named "Poindexter" have a 1.07% better statistical chance of being drawn, compared to all other first names.

A good friend had his name legally changed to take advantage of this statistical anomaly.

^^ Now theres a novel concept (name change)I'm thinking of giveing it a try. What you guys think of Davey Crocket ?
Jack

>Also bear in mind that applicants
>named "Poindexter" have a 1.07%
>better statistical chance of being
>drawn, compared to all other
>first names.
>
>A good friend had his name
>legally changed to take advantage
>of this statistical anomaly.

Then it wouldn't be random again....a random # is assigned to each viable applicant,which is a #.

Then it's all mixed up in a barrel and the guys daughter pulls each paper slip/name out and ...wait,that's not right either. LOL

I applied January 19th for 5 animals + VC elk hunt. I only drew 3rd choice for deer. For the one I drew, I had a 44% chance of drawing it, so I was at the bottom of the pile for the event.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-15 AT 02:02PM (MST)[p]One thing I have noticed is it seams as though u either draw everything or like one tag/nothing. Most people that drew elk for example drew deer and ibex or something but more like 3 tags.

Where as the others drew 1 or nothing. It's almost like get the majority or nothing. I started a thread like this on another forums. Pretty much confirms to be more true than not....

So how many tags did you apply for and how many did you draw?

Myself 7 and drew 1 (deer)

Wife 4 drew 2 - elk and antelope (she has drawn her 3 choice 2 years straight)

Her dad 2 and drew 1

It's almost as though they go by entire app verses animal. Just seams that way since I'm sidelined I guess.

Just the luck of the draw. I put in for everything but javis every year (seven hunts). One glorious year I drew everything but BHS & ibex, and in another year I only drew elk. Usually, I draw two or three tags, and almost always it's my third choice.

Well don't change your last name to anything starting with an "A". I struggle to draw tags (those on this site who know me can certainly attest to it) but this year was particularly rough. I usually draw 1 or 2 second or third choice tags but this year gave me the ol' stink pig out of our 8 big game species. Going to be a long fall. Soooo, if this anomaly has any merit...stay away from "A". Also, I've had the same thoughts about putting in early/late or all at once...or one by one. I mixed it up pretty well this year and paid for the high demand stuff (elk, ibex, bighorn, antelope) early and separate, and then rounded out the others later. Worst draw I've had in years...ha ha.

Also heard rumors that applications with multiple people seem to get drawn more. Not sure I believe it but I do know some people who could certainly back it up with their "luck" in the draw, especially high demand archery elk.

To make things worse for this fall...I've heard there won't be many left over tags for deer/elk etc. Hope the football season is a good one...looks like I may be home a few more sundays than I'd like.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom