Drawn for g6

Huntnhopr

Been several years since I have hunted in this area during the d8 seasons. I have yet to hunt it in winter type conditions. Any info on migration patterns and areas to concentrate on would be very helpful. I know this hunt is very weather dependent especially with the larger bucks. Plan on trying to find contact info for area biologist. Hopefully with a little luck and help I can somewhat dialed in. Thanks in advance for any help and pointers.

I have hunted it a couple of times. I hunted above Fairview and killed 2 so-so bucks. As with most late hunts, weather will be a big factor. I never had any real weather during either hunt but I'm sure it would help a lot. I don't think this hunt is as good as it used to be but you should be able to knock down a buck. Get ready to glass a lot in tough country to pick them out in (lots of "deer" rocks).

I agree it hasn't been as good the last few years. I think a lot due to lack of condusive weather. Hoping to locate a few of the migration points to concentrate on.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-15 AT 03:55PM (MST)[p]Yep Ivanhoe. We drilled three wells this summer. I am tired of dealing with pipelines and pumps. I want to go hunting!!!

I would hunt north of Johnsdale towards camp whisett. You will see bucks right of the road. Need to hike. Sherman Pass jeep trial,might be another option get on top and hike. Greenhorn is over looked, I don't like it all, but can hold nice deer, buddy miss one last year that was 27 to 28 right time right place. Like other guys have said, weather would really help this hunt.

Not sure if this El Ni?o will work for most deer hunters like they think,last one I remember it did snow some from a low pressure storm early ,but the El Ni?o storms themselves are rain to extremely high elevation.I recollect in our area the rain melted all the snow to 8,500 hundred and caused flooding.

Very frustrating day today. Was up attempting to do some scouting. Forest service has closed all roads. By either gates or road blocks. Only road open was one from kernville to Johnsondale. They weren't even closed due to snow. Only traces up on tops of mtns. Was really hoping to hunt around peppermint creek. That would be at least a 4 mile hike now with the shutdown. Saw very little signs of deer activity. Only saw two fewer in a yard in Wofford Heights. Definitely looking to be a very challenging hunt. Thinking maybe up towards Sherman now. If anyone has an idea please share.

forest circus sucks.....they did that when I hunted in 2010 too......they are not hunter friendly......and they consider "public" land theirs....cut the chain and hunt

I could understand if it were for obvious safety (heavy snow). But where the gates are it was bone dry.
Just means I'll have to put in extra miles and duty to find my buck. One thing I did notice was I never saw another person scouting up there, just tourist. I thought for sure I would see fellow hunters putting in the time. And I thought for sure I would have seen at least some does moving about. I know they are there, just a matter of time.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-15 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]You betcha! That's a respectable Calif buck, Congrats!

Do you have a hunt recap that you could share with us?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

This was a challenging hunt. I didn't find the numbers of deer I was hoping to find. Only saw two other bucks, both forks. Saw maybe 20 does, only a few of seamed to have the attention of a buck. I spotted this buck bedded in a canyon. Ranged him at 424 yards. I watched him for about 30 minutes while trying to decide whether to make a go for it. Then I saw his forth point, made my decision. Made a stock down hillside at about 65 degree slope. Set up at 268. Still in his bed. I took another 10-15 min to calm my breathing. I bagged up, squeeze, boom. His head dropped and now the work began. Three hours later I was back at the truck, 100% exhausted. Special thanks to the two hunters from Orange County that came to my aid and helped drag the last 175 yards up hill. I wish the luck. There are still good people out there to give hunters a good name.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom