Drew 61 Archery Elk, I guess.

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Following the directions on the elk forumn, I drew this hunt. Any suggestions or starting points. Gonna hunt the last 15 days of the hunt.

My 73 year young father drew with me. Kinda like to get him on a great hunt before he can't do it anymore.

PM me and I promise I'll never hunt this unit again. 14 years is too long to wait to hunt Colorado Bulls.

Congrats! I sure hope you get your father on a decent bull. I'll PM you with whatever info I find out. Save a 6-point for the 1rst rifle season :).

Congrats Cali!! Great tag. You probably already know this but if you are motelling it tell them you are there for a hunt. They give great hunter discounts in Delta and most of the other towns around. That's one of the things I love about Colorado. They love the hunters!

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

WHOLELOTTA, You are right that the people have always treated me well wether it was in Craig, Nucla, or Nautarita. We're gonna wall tent it though.

If this season comes together like its looking, I'll be in 61 9/14-9/28 if necessary, leave the horses there and zip up to Wy to do a 3 buck/5 doe antelope hunt with my girlfriend and her son and then pick up the horses on the way to NM for elk. The NM thing is iffy but the draw odds for my last 2 choices are great odds for NM elk, 40%+. We'll see in another week or 2 for sure.

If you want to stay at a location close to your unit you might call the Lone Cone Ranch Bed and Breakfast in Norwood, Colorado. The owners are also hunters and you are a short drive up the grade to Sandborn Mesa and the lower end of unit 61. Not sure where you are planning on hunting, off Windy Point and the Divide Road or around the Horsefly Canyon area. Just a thought, it should be closer than driving from Delta.

My goodness Cali! You better start saving up for fuel!;-)

That is the only downfall I see with your fall plans. Good luck. It will be intersting to see how you do as 61 is my choice as well. Maybe I will borrow WARBIRD's bow and go shoot one with a stick depending on how it goes for you. PRO will be proud of me.;-)

Brian, thats why only one trip covering 4 1/2 weeks. If i do get my later NM elk tag, I'll leave the horses in Colorado, do wyoming and come home. Pick up the horses on the way back to NM, the long way back.

10-11 mpg hauling horses, 17-19 without. times that by 1,000 miles each way and I'm saving a lil. By the way, diesel went down from 499.9 a gallon to 489.9 a gallon today in these parts.

Rather hunt the earlier muzzy hunts than the later rifle hunt just cause of gas prices. And oh yea, a lil rut activity.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-08 AT 03:33PM (MST)[p]Wildsage, I may hunt the Horse Fly Canyon area of unit 61 for cow elk this coming muzzle loader season. Never been there, would appreciate any helpful advice on this area. Thanks in advance, Cowtag from southern Illinois.

I should be able to give you some info - I have taken a couple of bulls in that area and my daughter shot a 6 point there a couple of years ago. I can PM you later and at least give you some of my experience in that area. I usually hunted bulls the 1st rifle season but with the amount of preference points needed now,I won't live long enough to get another bull license.

wildsage

Scott, I got it and thanks.

Chuck, I'll be there the same time, flinging arrows. Maybe we could hook up mid-week and compare notes. PM me if you're interested.

I will PM both of you soon. Maybe we can talk elk hunting via the internet and possibly help each other somewhat. Thank you for your offer. I appreciate it. Sincerely, CowTag from southern Illinois.

DesertSheep, Give me some directions and information please. How would I find the email address of a fellow MM member? I would like to email Wildsage but I do know his personal email address. I have looked pretty hard at the MM home page and cannot find anywhere a place to click to where I can send an email. It seems like there used to be a box entitled 'email' somewhere on the home page. I am needing advice from MM members. Please advise. Sincerely, Cowtag

Desert Sheep, thanks for the information. I do appreciate you doing me a favor. Cowtag from southern Illinois.

cowtag - no problem.

I will be in 61 for the muzzleloader season trying to find a bull to shoot. My buddy put as a group with a couple guys and they didn't draw archery non-resident with 12 points.

But my buddy is coming from Arkansas to help/scout for when he draws a tag.

Replied to all your PMs today and thank you guys.

Chuck you got an PM. Anybody over 60 thats huntin elk deserves a hand. Plus my horses will never know it's not my elk. LMAO

I would be very interested in hearing how all of you do. I drew a third season bull tag along with a bear tag for September. (figured I would get some scouting done and maybe shoot a bear). If anyone has any experience with the 3rd season hunt I would like to hear about it.

As a "Huntin Fool" member, I got the list of previous tag holders. 3 of the 5 I talked to said, "You'll have the hunt of a lifetime" when I told them what tag I was calling about. Decided to call on my other hunts after the 5th call. No matter where they hunted, the story was the same. Lots of bugling bulls everyday, 300" bulls were near the top with everybody seeing at least one 340-350 bull, later the better and didn't see other hunters. Gotta make this tag worth the 14 year wait.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-08 AT 12:44PM (MST)[p]Califelkslayer,

I'll be there at the same time. My understanding is basically the same as yours. Hope we can find something over 300. Either way it should be a fun hunt. Good luck.

I'm not greedy. If i can put a 300" bull on the ground with my bow, no regrets. No matter how many bigger ones I see. Good luck Gold.

Chuck, I responded to your PM and the offer to pack your cow out still goes. Call me.

Califelkslayer, I was just wondering how you made out on your hunt? Should I give up on my dream of hunting unit 61 and start looking elsewhere or stick with it. PM me if you don't want to post it.

I sent him a pm some days ago and have not had any reply as yet.
I know he had a full fall planned with several out of state hunts including the unit 61 colorado bowhunt. Hopefully he did great and will let us know when he is back home.

I sent him a pm week or two ago, no reply. We talked back and forth before the hunt a few times exchanged info. I had a muzzleloader tag. Hope everything is ok!

chris

Like Tsquared said, I posted in Elk forum under "Done for 08" or something like that.

Short recap: 1st day I saw 300" bull @ 55 yards (too thick to shoot) and a small 5 point bedded @ 50yards that evening. Except for Glassing up high, I didn't see another bull for 7 days. BUT I had bulls to within 50 yards numerous times. Pretty frustrated. Mon the 22nd it turned on. Called 2 bulls in that day including one I missed that I called in even closer the second time (Chest only 2nd time) Had 8 different bulls going at the same time. Took a average 6 point the next day @ about 8 feet while dad slept in.

Called in one pig to with 20 yards and another nice 6 point to 18 feet for my dad.

I've responded to all PMs so if you didn't get a response, resend it. I'm trying to help those that are really interested in that unit/season.

I lost my tag on the way out and called the game warden. When he met me to issue a replacement, we talked. Based on my experence and his advice, hunt the oak brush. I'll quote him, "80% of the hunters are in the aspens and 80% of the elk are in the oak brush." Killin may be easier in the aspens but I wouldn't know. Also the weather was hot and dry and I still heard multiple bulls every single hunt.

Caelkslayer, Sounds like you had a great hunt. I'll bet you're glad of getting into those bulls before being able to take one. Special trip! Congrats to you and here's to many more great seasons! Cheers!!

Joey

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom