Drop Camps

BaldBeaver

So lets say for argument sake that I was considering a drop camp in the rubies this year. As someone whom has never done one before, how do you get enough food up there. Is it all freeze dried mountainhouse or is their a way to get some good food and decent supplies in. I am aware of the fact they use horses, but not sure how one would be able to keep any sort of regular food without it spoiling. Any help would be appreciated. We have the late rubies hunt and have access to private land on the east side of the ridge, is it even worth doing a drop camp?
~BaldBeaver

Is a drop camp worth it? That depends on how far your going in. You'd have to talk with the landowner and get a better idea about how far you should go in. It probably is worth it.
What kind of food? Its true that your food can spoil after several days so you want to take spoilage food for only the first two to three days. Steak dinner for the first or second night and bacon and eggs for breakfast. After that think about canned soup, sardines and crackers, P-nut butter and Jelly, summer sausage and cheese with more crackers, spam, and almost anything in a can. I used to drop camp myself with my owne horses. That is, take my camp in a couple of days prior to my season and then hike in when I was ready to hunt. I've been known, even when I don't drop camp, to get my buck and one bull elk put down and then go home and get my horses to pack everything out. fatrooster.

I really don't think a drop camp is needed for the late hunt in the Rubies. There are a lot of access points that will get you into the deer with no problem that late. Also - in the Rubies, there can be enough snow in September to make it miserable, let alone late October.

I would recommend finding an area that is a migration route, and camping as high as possible, with a good way out in case the snow gets deep fast (and it can). Finding deer that time of year is not a problem, finding one that suits you is a bit harder.

I agree with the last post. The deer in the Rubys migrate when they have to, not because of the calendar.

When the season ran later, second weekend of Nov, where the deer were varied year to year based on SNOW.

I have horses and have packed in for the first season BUT for the late season I wouldn't even consider it. The deer will be lower.

I appreciate all the information. You all probably saved me alot of time and frustration in deciding what to do. I greatly appreciate the info.
~BaldBeaver

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom