DYI Alaska moose hunt ?

elknut300

Is it possible to have a good DYI hunt in Alaska by driving to a hunting location and not having to get flown in by a bush pilot ?

IT MAY BE POSSIBLE IF YOU HAD INSIDE INFORMATION, BUT MOST OF THE LOCALS WILL HAVE BEAT YOU TOO I THINK. THATS WHY I FLEW IN, AND ONCE I GOT IN THERE I SAW A TON OF CARIBOU, BLACK BEAR, A WOLVERINE, A FEW WOLVES TO BOOT. IF YOU GO TO ALASKA TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MULTIPLE TAGS........AND ALWAYS PACK A ROD & REEL. THE FLIGHT WONT BREAK THE BANK, I TOLD THE PILOT HE COULD HAVE 90% OF THE MEAT SO HE FLEW ME RIGHT TO 6 WAITING BULLS (MY BULL WAS 62.5 INCHES 10X10). THEY KNOW WHERE THE GAME IS.....BIG PLUS...............TAKE CARE...........YD.

OH.......MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PARTNER OR TWO, AND FIRE POWER ENUFF FOR THE BROWNS OR GRIZZ YOU MOST LIKELY WILL ENCOUNTER......NO JOKE.........BE SAFE.........YD.

YD is right, any good hunting from the roads will be taken by the locals and they will defend to the bitter end more than likely. Also lots of easy access hunting is controlled by tag lottery too. Spike, fork horn, and 50 in wide spread with 3/4 brow tines are what are legal without tag (double check with the game regs however), anything else has to be killed with a tag and there a few that are for NR hunters. Now one option is to float hunt on a raft, which you can drop the boat in at one bridge and get picked up at another. Or you can do a flyout hunt. All have there pros and cons, just depends on the experience you want.
WVBOWAK

Start hanging out on Pristine Ventures and the Outdoordirectory websites. You'll be able to search everything you need to know there. I used Papa Bear Adventures out of Bethel. Great hunt. Good luck.

It's definitely possible but just remember everyone who lives in Anchorage is trying to do the same thing. I shot my first moose less than 20 miles from downtown Anchorage, not a trophy but I did it from my house in Eagle River. If you're looking for a trophy it will be difficult.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]Another thing to keep in mind, check and see if tags that are for the military installations in Anchorage (Elmendorf AFB and Ft Richardson) are eligible for Non Res draw, you will have to use a bow (and before you apply for the tag you need to have taken the IBEP certification test) or a muzzleloader, but you can get some really great hunting with little pressure. Also they pull some stud moose off of the bases every year. Just a few things to keep in mind: FOLLOW WHAT THE SIGNS SAY. A guy I knew that lived down the street from me in base housing shot a monster bull with his bow and the bull ran down into an area that was known to have UXO's (UneXploded Ordanance). They tracked it down with a tracking dog that the base wildlife officers had and sure enough that was where the moose had gone into. The base wildlife officer told him to try and find another one. From what I was told by this guy this bull was better than 50", so there are some big ones on the base. I know that isn't the dream Alaska hunt, but it would be interesting none the less.
WVBOWAK

>whats DYI? Do Yourself In?

Sounds like my backpack hunt from last year...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom