Early archery Area 10 Rubies

V

venator36

Got lucky enough to draw another 101 ruby this year. didnt see any bucks the couple days I was fortunate enough to hunt, this year will be different! I am pretty familiar with the main part of unit 102, I am debating wether or not I should try the East Humbolt in 101 this year. Its rough on the feet for sure, (Im getting new boots this year). I cant hunt until the last two weeks of the early season which is the same time frame as I did last year, which is a bummer, but I am hoping that by then a lot of the hunting pressure will be gone. any advise on which one would be better? Im willing to find the spots myself on the hoof, just looking for opinions on the 101 vs 102. thanks in advance.

Jeremy

At that time of the year the bucks are up high. Unit 101 and 102 both have great areas to hunt. Access is the problem with 101 more that 102. I hunt them both and if it was my choice I would hunt 102, mainly because of the access points. East or West side doesn't make a difference there deer everywhere. Find a trail and follow it upwards. If you don't have a Forest Service map, get one and find the access points. Try Angel Lake(101) trailhead. Remember, the Rubys are a backpackers dream. If your backpacking follow the trail back towards Greys Lake. Soldiers creek (102) You'll see deer! Remember, high really high and glass really high. Where there is mountain goats the deer are there also, especially for the archery hunt. Good luck.

wow, thanks for the input, yea I hunted the east side of 102clast year. I didn't have a lot of time so I put some great stalks on some groups but turned out to all be does. Access is my biggest issue as I have a small car now...lol added a couple of hot unnecessary miles to the day. lol. did you draw any tags this year?

I have hunted the Rubies the last two years in early archery. We backpack in the first week and a half or so and get up as high as we can and glass, glass, glass. Its not out of the ordinary to see 20 bucks in a day. We went back for a couple day trip for the last few days of the season and the deer were much more scarce.I would highly recommend going in the first week or so. If you go in far enough you will not have much hunting pressure but you have to work at it.I didnt get drawn this year but maybe the 2nd draw will work again. Good luck and if you wanna talk more about the zone email me at [email protected]

Gotta get higher than Angel Lake to get into the deer. I hunted the Angel Lake area on my '10 ML hunt and there were NO bucks at that elevation. Play it safe and get as high as you can. If I were ever to ever draw an early tag for that area, I'd backpack in as high as I could and stay up there.

Lizzies Basin might be a good spot to access the higher stuff.

M'Balz Es Hari

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-13 AT 10:25PM (MST)[p]Yea I am looking at maybe a week is what I will have, My kids visit for the summer and wont be going back to their moms till late aug, I would love to go sooner, I just cant. I am worried about them being scarce. I think that might have its benefits though, less eyes on you durring a stalk and fewer surprises. I agree though on the higher part. I have apreciated all the inputs. I am out of the country right now and wont be back till late June. I will deff try to take a trip up there for a couple days right when I get back. Wasnt able to make any scouting trips last year. I have been putting in the time on Google Earth for sure. working on my pack list now, hoping to keep it under 35lbs for the week. Im not gonna be holding out for a giant, just want success! :) although it would be nice to get lucky.

Good luck on your early hunt! I hunted and helped guide others to good bucks for many years in the Ruby's. Yeah, up high is always a good bet but there are big tracks of private down lower that the deer go down to feed on the bitter brush at night. With the great access that we had, lots of times we'd see dozens of does and bucks strung out heading back up into the National forest in the mornings and they didn't go very far up to bed.

Guess what i'm saying is that if it's gated off private and limited or no hunting down below, lots of deer with good bucks mixed in will be spending time and bedding further down in the National Forest properties than a guy might think.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-13 AT 02:22AM (MST)[p]That's some good advise, my buddy Z went up the week after I was there and tagged out on his ML hunt... said he saw lots down low even though I saw none...lol. He shot his up at higher altitude though, I think that is where I will head to and stay. thanks for the advise, I will keep it in mind. Just need a good spotting scope for 500 or less and I will be set...

Yeah...that Z guy hunts like a Boss! :)

Spend that money on a really good pair of boots and borrow my spotter. Carbon fiber tripod and all...very light weight! Trust me, your feet will thank you. My feet spent about a month out of commission after my hunt. The Rubies don't play.

I just bought these to try out. The more I wore Kenetrek's, the more I don't like them.
http://www.schnees.com/product/Lowa-Sheephunter-Schnees/sale-room
Plus, they are on sale!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-13 AT 05:37PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-13 AT 00:52?AM (MST)

There they are! What up Z? yea man you can hunt like a boss...lol. I may take you up on that offer man, I am looking at the new brow tines by UA, they come out this month. The scope is gonna set me back a bit, we can work something out when I get back. I still owe you for watching my car while Im gone right now. Ive got my pack weight down to 22lbs including the pack so far, Im sure Ill add another 5 or so with stuff here and there though.

LAST EDITED ON May-31-13 AT 11:14PM (MST)[p]>Its strange, its saying there are
>8 replies, yet its only
>showing 5... hmmmm...

Conspiracy theories come to mind...

You've done good on the pack weight. I was at about 37 pounds but I did notice I took way more food than I ate and clothes I didn't use along with stuff I didn't need. This year I am just doing my tent, bag/pad, and a jacket. Plus food and water.

Yes! but do they breath...lol. THey look great man, I need to just get a pair and roll with it, of some brand... Im not sure what I should do...lol there are way too many options, its gonna be tough for me to fill the shopping cart when I get back... I think Im gonna be picky...lol. Hell of a deal though man, I will add them to the list to check out. Thank man.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-13 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-13
>AT 07:13?AM (MST)

>
>not an awesome deal!
>check out danners pronghorns and, jackal's
>

Sure, if you like ill fitting boots that don't support your ankles well nor have the quality behind them.

There is a reason some boots are expensive and some boots are not. Who makes them, the technology that is behind them, and where they are manufactured makes a huge difference. You can't take a boot that's made in China and compare it to a boot made in Germany or Italy. Maybe the American made one would be good to go, but to each his own...

But hey...even their American made boots are roughly in the same ballpark of better designed boots on sale.
http://www.danner.com/boots/crater-rim-hiking-boots.html

Pronghorns really are meant for pronghorn hunting,if your back in 5 plus miles and you have to put a extra 75 lbs of meat on your back your dogs will be barking whiten the first mile of steep down hill walking,happened to me in colarado.

Thanks for everyones inputs. Its tough to buy a boot without trying it on, I deff am taking the advice of you guys when it comes to your experience, when i went up last year, I just had my combat boots... yea my feet were sore after the first few miles. I will deff buy a good pair of boots... Z I trust your opinion man. Im gonna so somemore research on the 967 you sent me the link for, how you likein the ones you picked up? you take them on any hikes yet? I want to go up to the rubys when I get back man, do a scout trip.

I was actually thinking about doing an overnight fishing trip into one of the lakes for some glassing and mountain man time.

Let me know...we might be able to work something out.

Venator, my son and I have the early rifle and plan on being in the area from Long canyon to Liberty lake and entering from the east side. I'm coming up there for 3 to 4 days for fishing, glassing and scouting. We're packing in and would be great if we could keep our pack to 35 to 40lbs. I'd appreciate any input from you or others for these areas for my son and I early rifle back pack trip. Thanks, Matt

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-13 AT 04:35AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-13 AT 05:04?AM (MST)

Dancermatt, PM sent...

>Z, I'm going to be up
>in the Liberty/Favre lake area
>early Aug. doing the same.
>Want to share a fire?
>Matt

I will be on my cow elk hunt around that time....I will be up there this and next month sometime Matt.

Departing next Thursday for a week long archery hunt off my back with my buddies. I can say that i'm excited and nervous at the same time. The Ruby Mtns have a intimadation factor regardless of the work put in preparing for the hunt. Loading back pack this weekend and cross checking everything over and over again. Taking the camera and the go pro. Should be memorable.

-t

Cant wait to see the footage, I went up last month for a couple nights just to scout... should be a good trip for you. I cant go until the 28th or 29th, Good luck and hopefully in a few days we will be reading about success!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom