EARLY Scouting Trip?

drake2h

Hey guys. I'm a non-resident and plan on doing my first CO deer hunt in the next 2 to 5 years (currently have 2 PPs). I've done a lot of online research but have yet to lay eyes on any of the units I'm currently considering (the list is still pretty long).

I'll be in Denver for work in late April and am considering extending my trip a few days, renting a car, and doing a whirlwind trip through the western and southwestern parts of the state to get a feel for the lay of the land. I know there will still be a lot of snow in the mountains at that point, but I think just seeing the country first-hand would allow me to narrow down my list of potential units considerably. Main goals would just be to get a sense for the terrain and habitat and see how it fits with my hunting preferences.

Do you guys think the trip would be worthwhile at that time of year? I'd rather wait until late summer but don't know if I'll be back that direction for work (currently based in ID). Thanks for the insight!

Definately worth trip since you dont know when you'll be back. That and you got an excuse to goof off doing what ya like so do it.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

No need to make an excuse to visit the mountains of SoCo . . . depending on the unit and season you plan to hunt, you may or may not be able to get into the area.

Denver is not that much closer to Western Colorado than Idaho(depending on where you are in Idaho). But I do lots of scouting on the internet with Google earth, etc. You can fly a lot of country without ever setting foot in it.JMO

It's always worth a drive if you are in the area...But I am always dissappointed when I get excited and go up that time of year. It's really really tough to get a sense for vegetation and what not with all of the snow and animals in their winter range. Well I guess it depends what season you are wanting to hunt?

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate those of you who took the time to respond or PM. My work schedule changed and I won't be able to do the scouting trip this time around, but I feel a little better prepared to make that trip sometime this summer or next.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom