Eberlestock Gunslinger

972Elk

I know there has been much talk about the Just One pack. What about the Gunslinger? I checked them both out at the Sportsman Warehouse. I like the Gunslinger better than the Just One. Any field experience?

Glad you put this post out - I was just going to do the same thing. I also checked out both at Sportsmans, plus the Badlands 2200. I think I liked the Gunslinger best of all of them based on its size and how it fits. Seems for a daypack it would be perfect. Hope to get some feedback from anyone that actually used on in the field like you said.
Frank

I used this pack last season for the first time. I really enjoyed it. My hunting is all day trips, so this worked well for me. My first time with a hydration system, liked that also. Best feature was the scabbard, came in very handy before daylight and when hauling meat out.

Thanks for the reply. It seems like a good pack. I like the open space where the scabbard is located. Did you have any problems with branches leaves or any other debris getting stuck in the scabbard area? I don't know if you are a bow hunter, but have you strapped a bow to the pack?

No, I am not a bow hunter. We hunt in the high desert of Washington and do not encounter many trees. I remove my pack many times during the day while glassing and often use it for a back rest in clumps of sagebrush. I did not encounter any problems with debris in the scabbard.

Ed, do you feel the Gunslinger has enough room to pack out a boned out muley, along with a sleeping bag and other gear? I'm also looking at the Just One, but I wonder if the Gunslinger might be enough for my needs. I need a pack to hold enough gear for a maximum of 2 nights and 3 days of hunting, and have the ability to get a deer out plus my gear all in one trip. I want to hunt with the pack on, so it needs to be quiet and not overly large. I would think that some stuff could be strapped on the outside if necessary. What do you think? Would I be better off with the bigger Just One pack?

Speaking from two experiences, I would stick with the just one. The just one is barely big enough for a boned deer and your gear (if you don't have much).

Bob,

I love the Gunslinger, but more for a day pack. Light comfortable, and still able to pack plenty for a day hunt. Could you pack out meat with it? Sure, no doubt it would do the job.

But the Just One is exactly designed for what you are talking about. It can be expanded to take in a spike camp, converted back to a day pack, and haul out an entire boned muley in one trip. The Just One has a very narrow profile when in the day pack mode. Both packs are very quiet, and make great day packs. The Just One is more versatile, and can be used for anything.

Here a couple of field pictures of the Just One in use. One is an entire sheep pack out in the Yukon. The other is my son during last year's Colorado muley hunt. We had spiked up with camp for five days.
PackingOutsm1.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

Ed
www.trophyhuntoutfitters.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom