eberlstock vs. badlands

J

jeff28

I'm looking to buy a new pack and need anyones input. Last season had a 5 hour pack out with half a boned out muley with a standard pack. Not the smartest idea, anyone who could help me with their opinions or hunts with the eberlstock or badlands packs. What model do you use or suggest. Thanks

Do a search and this has been done many times. It will be up to you as to which is better, but my vote is Eberlestock. They are well made and bullet proof. My Badlands 2200 (I have owned 2200, 2800, and 4500) fell apart in less than a month. I returned it and contacted Badlands. Read down and there is a posotive endorsement on the 2800, so again try them both if you can with some weight in them. Good luck!

I have both Eberlestock and Badlands. I use the Eberlestock all the time and the Badlands is sitting in a corner with several other packs collecting dust. I do know that none of the packs I use as day packs would be good for packing out any animal. I would want one with a frame for such a task.

I have the J104 and it's great UNTIL you expand it. The weight feels twice as heavy as it should. I just bought a badlands 4500 so I'll let you know how it rides. Do a search, a lot has been written.

BADLANDS!!!! Enough said!!!

Seriously though, I have sold packs for over 6 years including Badlands and Eberlestock I cant believe these people saying they put down there Badlands for a J104 are you kidding me, no offense but thats a step in the wrong direction, no reinforced back sheet and only dual vertical stays??? What kinda of hocus pocus is that, fine for hauling 30lbs, but hauling out a boned out muley comon. Check some of my other posts on the subject in the main hunting section from a couple weeks ago, good information. I do like the Mystery Ranch packs, if you've got the money check em' out there about as good as it comes.

I have two 2800's and a Superday. They are awesome packs and haul weight right against your back. I absolutely LOVE Badlands! Their packs are well thought out and they stand behind them should you ever have a problem. I have not had a single problem with their packs and I have hauled out three muleys this year alone with my 2800.

I've had 'em all.

The winner, by unanimous decision is....the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. In fact I hauled out two loads of elk on Tuesday. One load with a badlands pack and one with the crew cab. Mind you, these are all the best packs, but here is how I rank them:
1. MR
2. Badlands
3. Eberlestock

The problem I had w/ the Eberlestock, and many others have had as well, is that the load feels disjointed from your back. You have no mechanism of sinching that stuff you're carrying tight to you, because there are several inches of free space designed to carry your rifle. And I'm a bowhunter, so I could care less.

Badlands has always been awesome. No complaints. I have had, or own now, the 4500, 2200, superday, hyperlight, and a few smaller packs. Love them. The hyperlight is my favorite day pack...but, when and if you need to carry meat, the MR is king.

I have used both packs for just a day pack and packing out game. I would use the Eberlstock pack, J104. Both packs aren't very comfortable for packing out heavy loads. If your looking for a pack for carring heavy loads, I've been very impressed with the Alaskan Pack Frame and then just use a fanny pack or a small pack to carry your gear.

Used the Badlands 4500 on my sheep hunt and it loaded a ton better than the j104 erblestock. The only downfall was if you were in bottom of a canyon looking up vertically the head rest gets in the way. Will try a 2800 for shorter excursions. Russ

My buddy and I used our Eberlestock J104 packs last year to pack out a couple of mulie does we shot. We each got our quartered doe out in one trip in our pack.

My vote goes to Eberlestock.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

I have 2 Badlands, the 4500 and SuperDay, packs and will never buy another pack in my life!! Comfortable and built to last forever with the best waranty out there!!

~Z~

I have some serious facet joint issues in my lower back and decided to buy the 2200. I couldn't be happier. I can get most of the load on my chest, and it's really comfortable.

-Dave

I have used the all in one J-104 Eberlestock over the last 5 years. I have packed out many different animals, ie mule deer, elk, couse deer and sheep. I love this pack. Several adjustments, good comfort and will carry more weight then you will ever want to carry. (100 pounds) My pack did break the main center zipper and a chest strap problem.Eberlestock also has a great life time warranty. I sent mine back and a week later they sent me a new one. That's customer service.

It also fits my 80mm scope & large tripod with about anything else that you want to carry.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom