Editing and burning software and set up

Avsman

I recently got a Canon XH-A1 video camera and have been filming some scouting, Jeeping and fourwheeling trips.
I am still learning to use the camera and it is by far way more camera than I am a camera man but I would like some input on what editing and burning set up you guys have had good experience with, I am a P/C user I havent used a Mac since I got outa school but Im looking at getting a new computer and am open minded to using either one. Thanks in advance for any and all help. GOOD HUNTING.

The files can be large, so you'd probably want to go with a mac pro with 2 X 500 gig hard drives. Along with around 4 gig's or ram and a graphics card and you'd be good to go! Final cut pro is the way to go for editing but this machine will run you about 8k total! Worth it once you learn it and see the results. However an Imac with Imovie will work for basic stuff and you're in it for around 2k! Good luck.

No doubt that Macs are popular in the video editing and other graphics businesses. They are good, but not the only solution.

If you are accustomed to PCs, there are some really good options, and they are usually less expensive than a Mac.

I have an HP PC, running Adobe Premier C3. The PC has 2 - 500G hard drives, 4G Ram, 2 dual core Xeon processors clocked at 2.4Ghz. Get the best graphics card you can afford.

If you think your XH-A1 is more camera than you need, the good editing software programs will fall into that same category, whether Mac or PC based. An easier to use PC editing system is Adobe elements. Much less expensive, and if you are not working on commercial products, would most likely serve your needs.

If you are shooting in true HD, as is possible with your XH-A1, don't skimp on your system hardware. HD takes a lot of resources to render, and if you don't have adequate RAM and processors, you will regret it.

I have dual synced monitors and would not skimp on that. Makes it much easier to have your timelines and projects laid out and available.

Good luck.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Thanks for all of the help,

I dont just want enough of a system to do everything I want it to do now, But a system that can do anything I will ever want it to do, and it seems that once you get into filming it gets addicting.

Is there any systems that are inbetween the bottom and top end

I got the MacBook Pro with an external hard drive and use FInal Cut Pro for software.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom